Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to start a business (any business), any books for reference?

I want to start a business (any business), any books for reference?

I'm planning to start a business. The business hasn't been decided... I want to know what it takes to start a new firm, like what are the problems am gonna face and all. Any book to help me out? Help appreciated.....

Quote Originally Posted by Premm View Post
    I'm planning to start a business. The business hasn't been decided... I want to know what it takes to start a new firm, like what are the problems am gonna face and all. Any book to help me out? Help appreciated.....
    Find something nobody is doing. ~ Michael Dell

Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    Find something nobody is doing. ~ Michael Dell
    Thank you so much. Will definitely see it.....

First i need to appreciate you for starting a self business. for starting a business you need to take maximum effort for getting success in the business. if you are confused with the field that you need to take for the business, i would like to suggest you the business of cosmetic products. that have a great market in the modern world. If you are not interested with that, you can search in the web for getting the advice for starting a new firm. So i wish you all the success for starting the business and i hope you will win in this game..

Blog Entries
    Whatever country you live in, go onto your government tax website and check out the tax obligations and also any concession entitlements for business. They may also have further info which is helpful such as good record keeping.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    One of the problems will be competition. You want to eliminate all competition - it's just how things are done - and it's great fun. If you PM me I will give you some very helpful and arguably legal ways to achieve such a goal.

Secondly, you want to rapidly (I'd say about 3 months) evolve the business to a point where you don't have to go into work, instead calling from the pool to check on things or perhaps calling from a hot air balloon flying over a Kenyan wildlife preserve, "I can see the entire migration of the wildebeest from up here, it's amazing! How are my profits?-Remember to keep profits high. Don't forget to wire my Nairobi office a million dollars for spending whilst I'm here! God, it must suck to be in a cubicle, Ya know what - I'm gonna get you a bigger cubicle if I ever get your way!"

Although these are only two ideas, I do hope I have inspired someone.

My suggestion is nothing will pay more than dedication and why most businesses end up in failures is the lack of perseverance. Sustainability and perseverance are two crucial things you need to keep in mind. You must not be dragged by small hassles. Business is a stake and you are not prepared to give your hundred percent do not linger here. One has to do a lot of compromises with the rest of things to excel at what you do, my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post
    Whatever country you live in, go onto your government tax website and check out the tax obligations and also any concession entitlements for business. They may also have further info which is helpful such as good record keeping.
    Excellent advice, a-priori.

I've been wanting to start a mobile coffee business from one of those converted cars. However, whenever I mention the subject to those around me they either grin or laugh or just ignore me! Of course at the moment I have several barriers to this, financial and lack of car licence, but just like the idea of driving out in the country selling coffee.

I hope you catch this on how to start the business
    1. Find something nobody is doing in order to start without competition.
    2. Follow Delta’s advice regarding tax structures, benefits and record keeping.
    3. Start asking What Ifs and What If nots until you feel absolutely confortable. But, what do I mean by confortable? I could be confortable sunbathing next to a swimming pool. This hard work. You must eliminate the possibility of competition by understanding you business plans so well that you will be lightyears ahead of any potential copycat. By the time you start your business, all potential competition should be so primitive and so far behind that they could never catch up before you eat that market, that niche. It is a time of niches.
    4. You’ll most likely need a good, trustworthy accountant. You can guide, but you cannot, I repeat, you cannot do it all alone. Teamwork is of the essence.
    5. When you hire people, find daring individuals that are willing to work for shares apart from small surviving cash. Train them, respect them, give them all you know. You need to train them to be trainers as your business grows. Stay away from reactionary people. Remember, you cannot do it all alone.

Follow the suggestions already given but probably the most important thing to do is not to become victim to megalomania if you are successful.
    There is absolutely no point in working yourself into an early grave and leaving your money to somebody else; especially as governments seem to have a cunning ability to relieve deceased business people of a large part of their fortune through death duties or similar legal contrivances.

In short:

1. Make your money.

2. Don't allow the business to take you over.

3. Once you are rich enough to do so, GET THE HELL OUT OF IT AND START LIVING.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Some good advice but a new idea just virtually doesn't exist any more. Think of something obscure and google it and you will find that there are threads on it from 2007! You have been beaten to it years ago. The idea that someone in their bedroom is going to come up with something unique and beat all of the competition - the multi corporations etc - is extremely far fetched to put it mildly, bordering on ridiculous. The only way in is to look for areas with something lacking and try to do it better. For example if you wanted to go into gardening or window cleaning a little research into where there is a gap for business and try to do the same thing but better/cheaper. That's the only way in. You are not going to invent something unique and beat Mircosoft or McDonalds to the marketplace with it, zero chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Some good advice but a new idea just virtually doesn't exist any more. Think of something obscure and google it and you will find that there are threads on it from 2007! You have been beaten to it years ago. The idea that someone in their bedroom is going to come up with something unique and beat all of the competition - the multi corporations etc - is extremely far fetched to put it mildly, bordering on ridiculous. The only way in is to look for areas with something lacking and try to do it better. For example if you wanted to go into gardening or window cleaning a little research into where there is a gap for business and try to do the same thing but better/cheaper. That's the only way in. You are not going to invent something unique and beat Mircosoft or McDonalds to the marketplace with it, zero chance.
    If you are not going to do it as I outlined, you might as well be a follower and do it like I said under the rules of someone who has the ability to do it properly. You cannot do it alone. It is impossible. Take heed and do appropriately.

Cafolini, I'm not talking about doing it alone, your other points made sense but your first one is just about hopeless:

1. Find something nobody is doing in order to start without competition.
    You must eliminate the possibility of competition by understanding you business plans so well that you will be lightyears ahead of any potential copycat. By the time you start your business, all potential competition should be so primitive and so far behind that they could never catch up before you eat that market, that niche
    See my previous post for the reasons why.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Cafolini, I'm not talking about doing it alone, your other points made sense but your first one is just about hopeless:

See my previous post for the reasons why.
    You have absolutely no worthwhile influence on whatever anyone might pick up from this thread. Case closed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast