Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does the Parent have the Right to determine the education for their kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetgirl View Post
    Parents have a responsibility to provide their children with a good education, and if their children develop an interest in something, to support that interest and make sure they are able to explore it. It should in no way be forced upon them, but guidance is definitely needed for small children. Society is also a good teacher and will teach them life lessons too.
    No doubt. The problem resides in isolating the child from exploration and discovery far more than in the parents insanity which also has a big effect but ultimately inconsequential in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetgirl View Post
    Parents have a responsibility to provide their children with a good education, and if their children develop an interest in something, to support that interest and make sure they are able to explore it. It should in no way be forced upon them, but guidance is definitely needed for small children. Society is also a good teacher and will teach them life lessons too.
    Who are they responsible to? 'Responsible' means 'liable to be called to account'. Who is going to call them to account if their kids get a bad education? There's a lot of bad education going on, but no one seems to be grabbing bad parents, or bad teachers, by the lapels and demanding that they provide a good education. Society demands that parents send their kids to school, and may put them in prison if their kids don't turn up. But if that school provides a bad education, and the parents know its bad, there's nothing that makes them responsible for providing a good education. They might grumble a bit, but most will not bother to seek change. I guess the kids could try and make them responsible, Kid: "Schools useless! Send me to a better one!" Dad: "Shaddup, I'm watching the football..."

Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    No doubt. The problem resides in isolating the child from exploration and discovery far more than in the parents insanity which also has a big effect but ultimately inconsequential in the long term.
    Good point... keep the libraries and museums well provisioned, and well stocked, and give kids free access, then at least some kids can educate themselves. But what if they are bad learners? What if they need help?

Well there may be many answer regarding this but for me parents are only to determine this when they have seen and learned that what their child actually interested in. They should determine it by discussing it with the career consultant and after its advice they should do it. There shouldn't be any main stream education but interest and future preferences should be checked out while doing this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12