Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Outdoor Adventure Books

I might have missed this in NG list, but since I like reading about exploration/mountaineering more than actually doing it, two books come to mind:

Ed Stafford, Walking the Amazon. This is the story of Stafford's attempt to walk the entire length of the Amazon River, a trip that took nearly two years. It's flawed in many aspects--too much of it dwells on Stafford's obsessions with money, technology and depression and not nearly enough descriptions of the many ecosystems he traveled through--but it's still fascinating because it does dispel many myths about the Amazon basin--i.e., it's not this undisturbed Eden but a very populated region whose inhabitants are often well equipped with modern conveniences.

Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods. It's silly, often juvenille, and chronicles not a heroic journey but a hike by two shlubs along the Appalachian Trail. It's just funny, like all of Bryson's travel books are.

The Solitudes by Luis de Gongora sounds like quite an epic outdoor adventure story. I haven't read it yet. But it is definitely on my future reading list.

Them's pomes pal.

This thread has reminded me how much I enjoyed armchair adventure. I was never very bold as a youngster but I ventured far and wide via books, the Himalayas with Seven Years in Tibet, the Pacific aboard Kon Tiki, met the San People through Lost World of the Kalahari, ventured into the Canadian wilderness, Along the Headless River, among others. I threw down a book about China in disgust wondering how on earth anyone could make a trip to China boring (bad writing, that was how but I didn't realise it at the time).

I've just been to a lecture by Stephen Venables and hearing about his exploits on Everest, I'm inspired to start armchair adventure all over again, reading about his climbing experiences and those of his heroes. I wondered if the availability of tv documentaries was the reason I stopped reading this kind of book for so long?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12