Thread: The Ulysses quiz game

The Ulysses quiz game

I notice this book mentioned a lot on here, and I think it will be fun to make a game out of the many puzzles woven into the narrative. The first person to answer a question correctly gets to ask the next one.

We'll start with an easy one:

1. Everyone knows the story takes place on June 16, 1904, but how do we know this? Name one of the ways this information is presented in the text.

Bloom states that Milly, his daughter, was born on "15 June 1889," and towards the end of the novel, Molly states that Milly "is 15 yesterday 89" (U 568 and 637).

cited from the 1984 pb Gabler edition.

In the penultimate question and answer chapter, the date is given in reference to Bloom's budget for the day. Page 711 in the Vintage International edition

And my question is, how many times does Bloom run into Blazes Boylan despite trying to avoid him? (Another easy one.)
    Last edited by My2cents; 07-10-2013 at 01:00 PM.

1. in hades on the way to dignam's funeral

2. in lestrygonians bloom hides in the library after spotting him

3. in sirens when boylan is on his way to to meet lenehan at the ormond

4. boylan appears to bloom in circe

of course, we get an update on boylan in pretty much every episode, but i think those are the only times bloom actually sees him

my question: how many times, and where, do we see the man in the brown macintosh?

i think this one's a little harder that the first two
    Last edited by Nate; 07-11-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Oh wow, without looking, I know we see him at Dignam's funeral and in Circe. I'll have to look back and see when else.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    1. in hades on the way to dignam's funeral

2. in lestrygonians bloom hides in the library after spotting him

3. in sirens when boylan is on his way to to meet lenehan at the ormond

4. boylan appears to bloom in circe

of course, we get an update on boylan in pretty much every episode, but i think those are the only times bloom actually sees him

my question: how many times, and where, do we see the man in the brown macintosh?

i think this one's a little harder that the first two

Quote Originally Posted by maxphisher View Post
    Oh wow, without looking, I know we see him at Dignam's funeral and in Circe. I'll have to look back and see when else.
    This line, 'the man in the brown machintosh loves a lady who is dead.' is perhaps another reference to the man. Sorry, I can't say which chapter this is in because my copy does not have the chapter headings which I believe is how the book was first published. I need to go through the book and write in the headings because trying to reference the book without them is a nightmare.
    The line is in a paragraph about love that also contains, ' Li Chi Han lovey up kissy Cha Pu Chow.' This line always makes be burst out laughing.
    Last edited by Prince Smiles; 08-02-2013 at 09:35 AM.

If I'm not mistaken, that's from episode 12, "Cyclops." It's weird, and this has obviously had critics running in circles for years, but the "loves a lady who is dead" suggests, possibly, an identity for the man in the brown Macintosh. "A Painful Case" from Dubliners is about Mr. Duffy who loves Mrs. Sinico, the lady who walked in front of a train when she realized that their relationship was never going to work out. Lots of people have suggested that this points to the man in the brown Macintosh being Mr. Duffy. However, in "Circe," Bella states that the owner of the brown Macintosh on the coat rack is "the devil." Just thinking out loud on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Smiles View Post
    This line, 'the man in the brown machintosh loves a lady who is dead.' is perhaps another reference to the man. Sorry, I can't say which chapter this is in because my copy does not have the chapter headings which I believe is how the book was first published. I need to go through the book and write in the headings because trying to reference the book without them is a nightmare.
    The line is in a paragraph about love that also contains, ' Li Chi Han lovey up kissy Cha Pu Chow.' This line always makes be burst out laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by maxphisher View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, that's from episode 12, "Cyclops." It's weird, and this has obviously had critics running in circles for years, but the "loves a lady who is dead" suggests, possibly, an identity for the man in the brown Macintosh. "A Painful Case" from Dubliners is about Mr. Duffy who loves Mrs. Sinico, the lady who walked in front of a train when she realized that their relationship was never going to work out. Lots of people have suggested that this points to the man in the brown Macintosh being Mr. Duffy. However, in "Circe," Bella states that the owner of the brown Macintosh on the coat rack is "the devil." Just thinking out loud on this one.
    Interesting post Maxphisher. It's been years since I read though The Dubliners. I shall read "A Painful Case" again.