Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we save / change the world?

Can we save / change the world?

I have read the posts of Sushil Yadav and of course as a sensible human nobody can turn a blind and indifferent standpoint. We are risking ourselves and jeopardizing the future of coming generations. Economic imbalances are triggering ecological imbalances or vice versa globally on a massive scale.

The question quality of life or span of life is another issue. On the one hand scientific inventions are optimizing our future living conditions, needless to say, with new medical experiments like stems cells therapies, on the other hand the quality of life is deteriorating. Even if we are increasing our lengths of lives we are failing to make life livable.

I sound pessimistic and yet there is every reason to be so. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel or any ray of hope on the horizon?

Whether we agree or not we have to take concerns.

Maybe we should, like Sushil Yadav take steps to make people aware of the dismal situations we are hemmed in.

This small flicker can go aflame.

From this very forum we can take the initiative to do something to make our global fit for human and other habitations.

We are thoughtlessly and of course heartlessly destroying our planet.

Blog Entries
    Maybe, unlike sushil yadav, if somebody wants to 'change the world' they should go out and try, instead of posting on internet forums.

osho I think one need to address oneself first and think about how to develop one without clashing with another. the next focus would be to challenge relationships between territories wide and small. start from within and then expend without.
    to change the world at a drop of a word is an impossible a task.
    Last edited by cacian; 07-09-2013 at 04:11 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by Volya View Post
    Maybe, unlike sushil yadav, if somebody wants to 'change the world' they should go out and try, instead of posting on internet forums.
    Volya is that you in the pick? where are you there? haha
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    osho I think one need to address oneself first and think about how to develop one without clashing with another.
    Like the song by Michael Jackson: 'If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and then make a change'

closed
    Like the song by Michael Jackson: 'If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and then make a change'
    Yes exactly, very well said and as they say : "Charity begins at home"

Blog Entries
    The world is done for. Think only of saving yourselves.
    “To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.”

- Kurt Vonnegut

Isn't it good think about living beings? I am a little concerned about plants and I love trees and I have plenty of plants in my orchard. I am not an activist and have not done anything to take pride but I argue with people and urge them also to plant trees.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You assume that the world is in need of "saving"... which would seem to be a rather large presumption on your part, no? There have always been those who believed as much. Perhaps you are right... the world as we know it is always dying... giving birth to something new... and the new is always frightening and unfamiliar.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

We all change the world evry day. We just don't change it very much.

Blog Entries
    The daunting fact many people are unaware of is that the few degrees of warming we are going to see will cause many of the massive rivers which provide fresh water to many hundreds of millions of people to dry up when the glaciers that are their source reduce and ultimately vanish. Many of these rivers cross national boundaries. Some of the countries they pass through are nuclear powers. Before they dry up their flows will be greatly diminished and rights to the scarce water still remaining will be bitterly contested.
    Last edited by Darcy88; 07-15-2013 at 10:17 PM.
    “To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.”

- Kurt Vonnegut

Yes. Because of the melting of the Columbia Icefields, the Columbia River carries less water than it used to, and Canadians are using as much as ever, leaving less for us Oregonians. I see only one viable solution: invasion. We could launch an amphipious attack across Lake Okanagan. The only thing that could stop us is Ogo Pogo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecurb View Post
    Yes. Because of the melting of the Columbia Icefields, the Columbia River carries less water than it used to, and Canadians are using as much as ever, leaving less for us Oregonians. I see only one viable solution: invasion. We could launch an amphipious attack across Lake Okanagan. The only thing that could stop us is Ogo Pogo.
    You are probably joking, but I foresee such a thing happening in a couple decades or so.

I hear Oregon is an awesome place to live. I know a few people who went to university there and fell in love with the place. When you guys take us over I won't need to bother with getting a green card to go stay there.

- Kurt Vonnegut

I ws joking -- but the water rights issue surrounding the Columbia (and other rivers around the world) is real.

Talks to the Animals IJustMadeThatUp's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I major in environmental biology at university and sometimes I just cry thinking of the things that are happening and couldn't be stopped even if we acted now, like the poor mountain pygmy possum.It's actually sometimes a REALLY depressing degree. The ignorance of people and the damage they do or even worse, those that know and still don't care kills me.

BUT, I believe that you can make a difference, it's all about education and getting the message out. Make people care and lead by example. So often my drunken conversations with randoms at pubs end with me going on a rambling tirade about all that is wrong in the world and quite often, they will remember!
    "Oh the clever
    Things I should say to you
    They got stuck somewhere
    Stuck between me and you"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast