Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vacation Time

Vacation Time

I'm trying to decide where to vacation in October and I need ideas. I have one week. I want to spend 1 or 2 days doing nothing on a beach and the rest of the time either in a museum, looking at historical sites or nature.

Where should I go?
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    Queensland. Although they have the highest rate of shark attacks in the country. I'm not sure where they stand on the box jelly fish and blue ring octopus though...
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    I'm trying to decide where to vacation in October and I need ideas. I have one week. I want to spend 1 or 2 days doing nothing on a beach and the rest of the time either in a museum, looking at historical sites or nature.

Where should I go?
    Costa Rica. Nice weather right now. Nice beaches. One of the best democratic countries in Latin America. And it is a papaya country.

Take two weeks and go up to the mountains and then down to the seaside. I mean, that's what I would like to do. Have a great time.
    “All" human beings "by nature desire to know.” ― Aristotle
    “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Forget the historical sights and nature and head for Munich where the Oktoberfest will be in full swing.

"L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I guess my usual suggestion of Iceland is a no-go - unless the kind of beach you're after is a volcanic one you can stroll along in your thermal clothes whilst admiring the icebergs...

By the sounds of it, you're after a historic and tourist-friendly city with convenient and beautiful beaches... why not visit somewhere in or around the Mediterreanean? There's no end of such places. In Venice, for example, you can have your couple of days sunning on the Lido, following which you have all the wonders of that great and historic city to explore.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    I am no expert in vacation spots but just because Lokasenna mentioned Iceland I should make it clear that we have a very nice and popular yellow sandy beach! Called Nauthólsvík and it's in the capital with hot springs and the sea, but in October maybe not so hot and nice. But In July and August it's very popular and I should know, I've never been there.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    I've heard the Cayman Islands are nice.

Blog Entries
    I second Lok: somewhere around the Mediterranean seems to have what you are looking for - and the temperatures are not too hot/cold/hurricane-y in October. I would suggest Greece (or surrounding islands - Naxos is wonderful for a day, as is Rhodes, and of course Thera and Crete).

There is also Turkey or Israel - depends on your fancy.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Blog Entries
    Don't go to Greece... Go to a country that isn't arresting and oppressing transgender people...

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Not exactly what you asked for but this is what I want to do when I grow up:

http://www.adventurecompany.co.uk/ho...ays/inca-trail

Quote Originally Posted by Volya View Post
    Don't go to Greece... Go to a country that isn't arresting and oppressing transgender people...
    Name one!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Not exactly what you asked for but this is what I want to do when I grow up:

http://www.adventurecompany.co.uk/ho...ays/inca-trail

Name one!
    It's difficult.

You could just cross the lake to Chicago, unless you do that already and it's not really a vacation for you.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

The Mediterranean coast is very expensive. It ultimately depends on how much you can spend. You can go to Costa Rica for 1/10 the cost. There is a lot of history around there also. Not the same kind but a lot.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Who else thinks Cafolini is originally from Costa Rica or there abouts?
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast