Thread: Outlines, do any of you use outlines? Outline to Heart Full of Soul

Blog Entries

Outlines, do any of you use outlines? Outline to Heart Full of Soul

I rediscovered this outline this morning.

How many of you out there use outlines?

I've never continued the idea, but looking back at this, I see it has my pre-occupations with nostalgia, music, and the sixties, a pivotal period in my life, and a tendency to people my stories with well-know iconic figures.

Maybe I'll finish it some day, but not today! I have to work on Two Horses for a King first!

Any uncompleted manuscripts or outlines laying around your place? Any unused outlines you've abandoned?

Come on fellow writers, I see your finished work, but want you to reveal more of your modus operandi. I promise I won't give away your secrets, and only the whole internet world will be privy to your revelations, so strip yourself bare and let it all hang out. Exactly how do you work your literary magic?

Heart full of Soul

by
    Steven Hunley

The streets of London were wet, and the sidewalk, and the points of the sturdy iron fences that isolated the houses. Puddles dotted with paisley rainbow oil streaks were on every corner. Jumping puddles was the least of his worries. The threatening clouds were as muddled and dark as his injured heart, and none of it was his fault or her fault, he figured, it was all just bad timing or bad luck.

He turned into the alley that led his flat. A few steps down, scrawled on a wall, in a childish hand was the phrase ‘Clapton is God’.

“What nonsense.”

Near the chemist on the corner, was a poster for Eveline cosmetics featuring a short-coiffured Twiggy in an electric neon-colored-short-as-they-come skirt wearing boots on her soda-straw legs. Like an old Dutch master, her cantaloupe eyes stared at him as he walked past.

Man in London meets and dates an American girl, falls in love. He listens to a record she sent him from LA-Love seven and seven is. For some reason they lose contact with each other and he falls apart. Their jobs end. He takes another with a London film studio. To get his mind off her, he goes to a photo shoot at a club where he encounters David Hemmings and Michangelo Antonioni filming Blow-up.

Vannessa Redgrave is watching the filming and convinces him he will probably find her.

Hemmings tells him to find another girl, his situation is hopeless.

He runs into a man who knows her ( his name is Mercury, messenger of the Gods) a gopher for the film studio and leaves her a message with the words to Heart Full of Soul.

The men’s room is busted and he uses the woman’s restroom and see’s a lipstick print on the toilet paper that looks like her and he discounts it. (it’s hers)

He leaves the concert at the club and runs into her again

http://youtu.be/SfYOVPQ73e8 Heart full of Soul

http://youtu.be/QEZcUONkz2Q Seven and Seven is
    Last edited by Steven Hunley; 06-26-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Yes, I think an outline is essential in constructing a story of significant length and complexity. An outline, or even a simple summary, provides the best way to maintain the writer’s overall view of a complicated story that has lots of elements tied to each other.
    Currently reading Lust for Life by Irving Stone. Recently completed The Origin by Irving Stone, Moguls and Iron Men by James McCague, The Great Bridge by David McCullough, All the Great Prizes by John Taliaferro, Empire by Gore Vidal, Middlemarch by George Eliot, Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe, Animal Farm by George Orwell, The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton.

Quote Originally Posted by DickZ View Post
    Yes, I think an outline is essential in constructing a story of significant length and complexity. An outline, or even a simple summary, provides the best way to maintain the writer’s overall view of a complicated story that has lots of elements tied to each other.
    Sorry. Faulkner, one of the most representative USA writers, completely disagrees with you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    Sorry. Faulkner, one of the most representative USA writers, completely disagrees with you.

Exactly what does Bill say about it? Certainly what works for one doesn't always work for another. He doesn't imply that outline stifle your creativity does he?

Blog Entries
    When writing a play I write several short stories to develop my characters. This also indirectly formulates the plot
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Blog Entries
    Ok, I got to wondering about the outline bit. And here's a link with actual outlines, including one of Faulkner's (Written on a wall!)

http://twentytwowords.com/2013/05/23...rs-6-pictures/ Enjoy!!

That was a good joke by Faulkner.
    On one occasion he said he had to move because he had run out of walls.
    On another occasion he wrote the outline for his next work: Always pee before you sit down to write so that you follow this outline to the letter and don't have to sacrifice whatever you come up with to follow the outline.
    Last edited by cafolini; 06-26-2013 at 05:55 PM.