Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you could live by one rule, what would it be?

Blog Entries
    I rule
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qimissung View Post
    lol. Or can it be a ring, as in one ring to rule them all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    That's a better one.
    Always say - Thank you!

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    One rule?

The metre.
    I remember when I was in elementary school, and our teacher told us that instead of inches and feet and miles and gallons, etc., we would one day use kilometers and litres. I remember being astounded. But guess what? Lo all these years later, except for liters, not so much.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Helga View Post
    I rule

I thought that was cats. Cats rule, dogs drool.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Quote Originally Posted by Helga View Post
    I rule
    Obviously, if there is only one rule, one must rule.

Always carry rope (per Sam Gamgee).

Blog Entries
    No hangman should ever be without one

Blog Entries
    Keep your wits about you under all circumstances. (Keep your **** together, always.)

be clever at all time if ever you are going to need it
    Last edited by cacian; 08-09-2013 at 04:28 PM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

try light because hard is..... well....tard
    Last edited by cacian; 08-09-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Never give up without doing your best.

Quote Originally Posted by Sido View Post
    Never give up without doing your best.
    This reminds me of an adage with which I have never concurred: "If something is worth doing, it's worth doing well."

Why? Mightn't it be worth learning how to ride a bicycle, without any ambition of becoming Alberto Contador? Couldn't one wish to learn to swim without wanting to be Michael Phelps? In general, if something is worth doing, it's worth doing BADLY. In fact, when you start learning how to do it, you cannot do it other than badly. In addition, a great many things are worth doing, but who would want to spend 6 hours a day swimming laps (like Michael Phelps) in order to swim well. It's worth learning to swim, for both safety and pleasure, but it's not worth learning to swim well because its a bore and a waste of time.

None of us ever "does our best" at ANYTHING. We could always do better. Nonetheless, we should continue to muddle through, writing things without the endless revision that would constitute "doing our best", playing games without the endless training and study that would constitute "doing our best" and reading books as quickly or as carefully as we see fit, without worrying about whether we have given up studying them before we have given them our best effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecurb View Post
    This reminds me of an adage with which I have never concurred: "If something is worth doing, it's worth doing well."

Why? Mightn't it be worth learning how to ride a bicycle, without any ambition of becoming Alberto Contador? Couldn't one wish to learn to swim without wanting to be Michael Phelps? In general, if something is worth doing, it's worth doing BADLY. In fact, when you start learning how to do it, you cannot do it other than badly. In addition, a great many things are worth doing, but who would want to spend 6 hours a day swimming laps (like Michael Phelps) in order to swim well. It's worth learning to swim, for both safety and pleasure, but it's not worth learning to swim well because its a bore and a waste of time.

None of us ever "does our best" at ANYTHING. We could always do better. Nonetheless, we should continue to muddle through, writing things without the endless revision that would constitute "doing our best", playing games without the endless training and study that would constitute "doing our best" and reading books as quickly or as carefully as we see fit, without worrying about whether we have given up studying them before we have given them our best effort.
    You have a point. However I cannot fully agree with it. I do not find that “Doing well” at some thing is the same as “doing your best”. When for example a student says “I wish to do well at the exams”, he would mean that he wish to score a high or good grade. This is in comparison with the general standards of things. However when someone says “I will do my best”, he is talking not about the general standards but of his personal. This could mean that he may end up being among the lowest grades in the class, however it is still to him the best he can do.

To do your best is something that changes on the present situation of the person. It’s a momentary thing and not a set standard. An artist may paint a painting today and find it to be his best piece of work yet. So for that moment in time it is his best. However this does not mean that he may not paint another tomorrow that surpasses the one he did today. When that happens, that will be his best work for that moment in time. In other words your best is really what makes that particular version of yourself feel content or satisfied at that particular moment.

As for “never give up without doing your best”, it does not mean you need to beat everyone to the top. On the contrary it means, “Do what you can do”. It may not be what others expect of you, or it may not even be what you yourself expect from you. However it the best you can do at that particular moment. And that is all there is to it.

I hope what I wrote makes sense to you

Wolves are making a comeback.

Rule of thumb.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast