Thread: What makes a good introduction to a story?

Question What makes a good introduction to a story?

Now obviously "to each his own" is strongly suggested here. But is there a generally good introduction to a story that will likely grab readers more then some other intro?
    I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay
    ~Isaac Newton

"Awe nets! I'm out of nuts! I mean nuts! I'm out of nets!" ~ Lovable Michelangelo

Blog Entries
    First of all you have to show the surroundings. I wouldn`t rather continue reading the story which I don`t understand.

for me an introduction is like a fast opening where from the word go the flow is consistant all throughout which takes you right to the end.
    in a way the title is the mini introduction which should entice you to want to read on so an introduction should not really be the intensive to a story it should just flow as beginning that leads to the end without any major hiccups or slowness.
    in other word think of it as a fizzy tablet you drop in a cup of water as soon as the tablet has touched the water in the cup it starts to fizz. that is what I call an imagery to an introduction soluble and fizzy is what I am looking for
    Last edited by cacian; 06-10-2013 at 04:57 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    think of it as a fizzy tablet you drop in a cup of water as soon as the tablet has touched the water in the cup it starts to fizz
    Brilliant! That's the best analogy I have ever read of how a story should start.

If every aspiring writer got to read this there would be less stories concerned with the main character waking up and following their daily routine before the story even begins.

H