Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brown, Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Pawn View Post
    The same can be said about Harry Potter books for example the character Severus Snape, throughout the series he was portrayed as the bad guy even though it was obvious he had a soft spot for Harry , more like a machiavellian attitude. In the fourth book Prof. Moody seemed to be a good guy but he turned out to be on the evil side, Peter Pettigrew was also thought to be a good guy but turned out otherwise, same can be said about Sirius Black.
    Would you rather every character that is portrayed as good be good and those portrayed as bad be bad?
    Faith... Hope... Love... But the greatest of these is Love.

closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance33 View Post
    Would you rather every character that is portrayed as good be good and those portrayed as bad be bad?
    Its not about my choice , was just pointing out the predictability of certain characters created by these two respected authors and some similarity to go with it. Have to say though that Sir Leigh ( Da Vinci Code) turning out to be the main antagonist was surprising compared to Snapes`( Harry Potter) change of heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Pawn View Post
    Its not about my choice , was just pointing out the predictability of certain characters created by these two respected authors and some similarity to go with it. Have to say though that Sir Leigh ( Da Vinci Code) turning out to be the main antagonist was surprising compared to Snapes`( Harry Potter) change of heart.
    Yes, although we must also remember that the Harry Potters are first and foremost children novels, and should probably be evaluated as such. And predictability and certain character developments don't require as much for a younger audience.
    Although after reading the Dan Brown series, I would say that I would have been perfectly capable reading his novels when I was younger and read Harry Potter, even though his series is targeted for an adult audience.
    And I think it better said that Snape didn't necessarily have a change of heart, but his true identity and his love for Lily went unnoticed by Harry until the end. His love for his mother was his one redeemable trait, but it was always there in sort of a pseudo- Heathcliff way in that it defined everything that he did.
    Faith... Hope... Love... But the greatest of these is Love.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12