Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones

discuss the show or the books here

anyone see the red wedding last sunday??
    “the sense of being which in calm hours arises, we know not how, in the soul, is not diverse from things, from space, from light, from time, from man, but one with them and proceeds obviously from the same source.... Here is the fountain of action and of thought....

Blog Entries
    I haven't gotten around to reading the books but I watch the show and love it. Nobody around me watches it so I was very annoyed when I watched red wedding and couldn't talk to anyone about it, I was very shocked... but the mom always annoyed me so I won't miss her.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Haven't watched the TV series, but did read the first two or three books of the series (many years ago now). I must admit, I got rather fed up with it - there's a lot of water-treading going on (and I hear it gets even worse in later books), and I often felt that his celebrated body-count was simply a way of dealing with characters whom he could not think of anymore story for. Rather than resolving things, he just brings in yet more new characters to fill dead men's shoes.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    I love the TV show! I've not seen the lastest series yet, but I do know what happens. I keep meaning to buy the books and read them. I put the first one on my ereader before it stopped working on me.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    I've read all the books but only watched the first two seasons. I like the books a lot, the only problem is he might die before he ever finishes the story D:

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    Haven't watched the TV series, but did read the first two or three books of the series (many years ago now). I must admit, I got rather fed up with it - there's a lot of water-treading going on (and I hear it gets even worse in later books), and I often felt that his celebrated body-count was simply a way of dealing with characters whom he could not think of anymore story for. Rather than resolving things, he just brings in yet more new characters to fill dead men's shoes.
    Agree.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    Agree.

I was fed up with the sex scenes na killing the characters. Sometimes it seems to me that:
    1) Martin doesn`t know how to end this story;
    2) maybe he doesn`t remember created characters.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I love this show, although I hear what you're saying, Lokasenna. I understand that George R.R. loosely based the series on The War of the Roses, so, naturally there's a lot of fighting and death and cruelty. Having said that, I really think he could sometimes let them live. It is the nature of the beast to identify with characters. If there's too much death, then it's hard to continue following the story. There's got to be some balance. I'm sure he's listening somewhere, and nodding his head in sudden understanding.

I understand that Catelyn Stark is not a favorite, but she did a simply outstanding job in her final scene.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Wait so the book series isn't over yet?
    “the sense of being which in calm hours arises, we know not how, in the soul, is not diverse from things, from space, from light, from time, from man, but one with them and proceeds obviously from the same source.... Here is the fountain of action and of thought....

Blog Entries
    Not by any means. Still two books to go I think, and he's been writing the most recent one for over two years now.

Brilliant TV. Not bad books, but brilliant TV, best production since The Killing in my opinion.

It can't possibly be better than the books though; that's unheard of in literature-->TV crossover!

I've read all of the books (actually in the process of a re-read) and seen the first three seasons of the show. Thoroughly enjoyable. I think that the books can seem dull, but they are really just overly complicated at times. You will be given one phrase of information and then six chapters later that little piece of information will be explained, and if you do not pay a lot of attention, a lot of things are constantly popping up that do not make a lot of sense. I feel like a book series is best served with a very thorough encyclopedia on the series.

EDIT:

I'd venture to say the books are better than the show, but it is hard to compare because the show is flawless.

There are two books to go. He released the 5th book in 2011. That book took him 5-6 years to write. So one can only hope that Martin can finish by the time the show catches up.
    Last edited by Mathor; 06-16-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    I'm losing all those stupid games
    That I swore I'd never play

Well, it sort of shows the finality of life. I think people are putting too much stock in the deaths of, in my opinion, pretty minor characters in the series. The Red Wedding is a very big turning point in the book series, but really I think people over-emphasize the deaths of these few characters. It is a series filled with a lot of death, but most of the deaths that occur in this series are major plot points that drive the story forward. The only problem I have with the show is that by seeing the actors, it allows the viewer to get far too connected to some of the characters you are not supposed to get that connected to in the books. Robb Stark is a minor character in the books but a major character in the show. Characters like Rickon Stark do not speak in the book, but yet he has lots of lines in the show. The show does this to make all of the characters loveable, and sometimes it translates to people having more empathy than they should for certain characters.
    Last edited by Mathor; 06-16-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    I'm losing all those stupid games
    That I swore I'd never play

I have read all the books, but so far I've only seen the first season (and the first episode of the second season). I love both the books and the tv series, which I think is the best and most faithful adaptation I've ever seen.

Many people die throughout the series, but then again, there IS a war and a tremendous amount of scheming and plotting going on, so it only makes sense. Martin also likes to keep his readers in uncertainty - sometimes you have to wait for a book or two to find out whether someone is actually dead or still alive somewhere
    Little Lotte thought of everything and nothing. Her hair was golden as the sun's rays and her soul as clear and blue as her eyes.
    Gaston Leroux - The Phantom of the Opera