Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Poem Takes the Fifth Amendment

  1. #1
    Something's gotta give PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    8,746
    Blog Entries
    1

    Poem Takes the Fifth Amendment



    Prosecution: You identify yourself as a poem
    and yet you offer no rhyme scheme,
    no metaphors or figurative language?

    Poem: On the advice of counsel,
    I decline to answer,
    lest I incriminate myself.

    Prosecution: Indeed, no words!
    Poem: On the advice of counsel...,

    Prosecution: Is this meant to be a provocation?
    Poem: ...I decline to answer...

    Prosecution: Is it, perhaps, a supposedly clever
    way to attract attention to yourself?
    Poem: ...lest I incriminate myself.

    Prosecution: Or do you, perhaps,
    consider yourself so accomplished a poet
    and so widely recognized as one
    that it is enough for you to refer to yourself
    as a “poem” for you to be recognized as one?

    Poem: On the advice of counsel...

  2. #2
    It wasn't me Jerrybaldy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,580
    Blog Entries
    1
    I was just passing and wandered in to see if the poem was going to be given a long sentence.

    For those who believe,
    no explanation is necessary.
    For those who do not,
    none will suffice.

  3. #3
    Registered User Delta40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fremantle Western Australia
    Posts
    9,886
    Blog Entries
    62
    lol. Or be held in contempt by others.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,127
    Blog Entries
    8
    The jury's still out, or then again, perhaps they moved for a mistrial...

    Caveat emptor - H

  5. #5
    Wild is the Wind Silas Thorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand (Mostly)
    Posts
    2,788
    Blog Entries
    94

    I still disagree with you about 'Poem', but this one made me smile. Thanks for giving me a smile first thing this morning, Prince.

    I think the repetition of 'on the advice of counsel', the phrase which also closes the poem, is very well done.

  6. #6
    Something's gotta give PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    8,746
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrybaldy View Post
    I was just passing and wandered in to see if the poem was going to be given a long sentence.
    Originally the sentence was going to be as long as one of yours, but the judge overruled that on the grounds that it would be "cruel and unusual punishment."

  7. #7
    Registered User Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    578
    Not guiltly by reason of insane sense of humor. The banter in both threads has given me a good laugh and I've delighted in the observation of criticism being taken lightheartedly in much the same vein as was the original intention of The Poem itself, I suspect.
    Live in the sunshine. Swim in the sea. Drink the wild air ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

  8. #8
    Something's gotta give PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    8,746
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Not guiltly by reason of insane sense of humor. The banter in both threads has given me a good laugh and I've delighted in the observation of criticism being taken lightheartedly in much the same vein as was the original intention of The Poem itself, I suspect.
    I on the other hand find you guilty by reason of sanity! How come I don't recognize you? If you always comment as spontaneously as you did here, you'd have long ago become a favourote of mine.

    Yes, there was a degree or kind of "lightheartedness" in the compositon of "Poem" but, not to be contrarian, it was a solemn lightheartedness.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    The ol' abandoned warehouse
    Posts
    41
    Very clever. Made my day

  10. #10
    It wasn't me Jerrybaldy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,580
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ouch Prince.Ouch.
    I have respect for you Oldtimer, so let's put a full stop to this right now.

    .......unlike your poem which didn't bloody need one as it never got started in the first place.

    For those who believe,
    no explanation is necessary.
    For those who do not,
    none will suffice.

  11. #11
    All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lost in the bell's curve
    Posts
    5,123
    Blog Entries
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceMyshkin View Post


    Prosecution: You identify yourself as a poem
    and yet you offer no rhyme scheme,
    no metaphors or figurative language?

    Poem: On the advice of counsel,
    I decline to answer,
    lest I incriminate myself.

    Prosecution: Indeed, no words!
    Poem: On the advice of counsel...,

    Prosecution: Is this meant to be a provocation?
    Poem: ...I decline to answer...

    Prosecution: Is it, perhaps, a supposedly clever
    way to attract attention to yourself?
    Poem: ...lest I incriminate myself.

    Prosecution: Or do you, perhaps,
    consider yourself so accomplished a poet
    and so widely recognized as one
    that it is enough for you to refer to yourself
    as a “poem” for you to be recognized as one?

    Poem: On the advice of counsel...
    Brilliantly funny, Prince! Is the poem, perhaps, waiting to reveal itself?
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

  12. #12
    Registered User Jassy Melson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,772
    Blog Entries
    1
    If Prince's "poem" is a poem. then nothingness is a poem.
    Dostoevsky gives me more than any scientist.

    Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

Similar Threads

  1. time takes all
    By cacian in forum Personal Poetry
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-12-2012, 05:01 AM
  2. It Takes None
    By cacian in forum Personal Poetry
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 03:08 AM
  3. Mr Collins takes to his heels !
    By ujjalkar in forum Pride and Prejudice
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-25-2010, 09:01 PM
  4. It Takes Two
    By ~Sophia~ in forum Personal Poetry
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-29-2009, 01:20 PM
  5. Evil Takes Over
    By toms_girl in forum Personal Poetry
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 05:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •