I was on my way back home the other day when I had to wait for matador as I very often have to do, while standing there I saw a girl who might have been merely 6 or 7 approaching towards me. She brought her arm towards me, her hands filled with some coins she asked for some money. She begged. I thought I wouldn’t give her anything and shoo her off as most of us do, isn’t that what we do? , I tried to ignore her. I looked here and there she wouldn’t go she started to speak in a very cockney and slang lingo, “de dey bhagwan tera bhala karega” I was feeling embarrassed so to get over this little trouble I fumbled through my bag, purse and then gave her a coin. She smiled and went away. I soon boarded on my matador.
All through my way I couldn’t get over the innocence I saw in her eyes and the smile, as if she found some treasure. We see this kind of thing daily, what do we do? , Nothing. We all boast of being part of an educated society, of a society where we built it, we shape it. Then what is Child Begging doing in our society? That girl and hundreds like her who despite of their age are begging on streets don’t they have any right to get educated? Why isn’t the basic human right applicable on them, why can’t they be the part of our progressing country?
The basic question that arises here is where do they come from? Why at this tender age when they should be in some school learning ABC instead of that are begging on roads and speaking harsh words, profanities. The age when they should be embraced with love they become part of peoples’ neglected looks.
Are they victims of child trafficking or just poverty? There are so many schemes of free education up to primary level and even onwards where free mid day meal are provided why can’t they avail it?
We are responsible citizen of our country; its shape depends on us and equally on those children who are victims of such menace. I don’t know how to bring this pathetic condition of these little angels to an end all alone.
All I know is they have full right to get educated and get nutrition but unfortunately they are not and they won’t listen to any of single individual trying to make them understand and that it should be brought to an end, how? I don’t know. That’s why I am writing this, media has power it can bring about revolutions so why not this? If any of you, reading this article can help don’t hide behind curtains please come forward and help. If there is some NGO or any child welfare authority out there reading this please take this matter into consideration help those little children in getting their rights and another future rather lot many bright futures from getting spoiled.
Next time when a child clings to your clothes begging for money take him to free school, or if you can’t do that give him something to eat rather than money which goes to some agent.
If there are agents or gangs involved, the culprits be punished and another candle be saved from going out, may be it can illuminate our country brighter.

VANDE MATRAM!

VARSHA