Thread: (Fable)The Owl and the Jay

Registered User ThreeKlicksAway's Avatar

(Fable)The Owl and the Jay

This is a fable; it mirrors the style these stories used to be written as accurately as possible. Consequently it is also quite short.

The Owl and the Jay

Once in the wood there lived an old owl who was a earnest studier. His hollow was filled with shelves of scrolls and books and parchment of the like, and it was his nightly desire to fill them with all the knowledge and wisdom his long life had accumulated. Even in the day he could be found scrabbling away at his books with his quill, never resting but for the times he hunted through the forest. Though much of the feathered population cared little whether Owl spent his life studying or not, it was Jay who finally spoke to him.

“Owl,” said he, “why do you fill your life with nothing, nothing but writing and reading? Do you see from your candlelit hollow the world you may be missing?
    Owl said not a word but turned to continue his work.

Jay pressed on. “Don't you admire, friend, the caches of acorns that I so studiously collect for winter, yet I still find time to dance through the trees with my companions?”
    The Owl remained silent, for it was not for Jay to understand the placid ways of a traveler who has seen much more than he could dream of, and finds himself at the end of his days with nothing, nothing to do but read and write.

Moral: There is more to a friend than first meets the eye.

Blog Entries
    This is incomplete. While the jay has a voice the N speaks for what is supposed to be a wise owl and there is no revelation in his silence based on what the N preached
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

I see your point. Now that I take a closer look at the paper, I have noticed that it is left at something of a cliffhanger of sorts.
    The point I was attempting to convey(no matter how poorly) however was that this slice of life conversation had only begun to convey the owl's thoughts, and he had little desire to explain them to the jay. I read many fables before writing this and came out with the result that many had endings similar to this.

Rather self-centered question though: What did you think of the very stylized writing?

Blog Entries
    I think the writing is fine. In fables you want to keep it simple and you have done that here.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Thank you for the critique and compliment! I never realized how good such a simple and even typed sentence can feel.

Well enough written - and there is a kind of moral. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, but also in this case Jack (the owl) is so self-centred he doesn't even accept advice from someone who means well.

H

Yes! You discovered my subtle double-meaning! It was mostly an accident when I realized I created two morals from one story.