Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Is Outside Your Window?

Quote Originally Posted by kittypaws View Post
    This all sounds so wonderful!

Wish I could be there.

kittypaws
    Indeed I second a beautiful piece by YesNo enchanting
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by kittypaws View Post
    Good point! Just step outside your window and say what you see, hear and experience!

Your Edale School and Village Hall is a very good post! Thanks for sharing.

kittypaws
    Glad you liked the pictures. It was a fun day out and we had great weather too. The heart of the Peak District I find is a great antidote which is why I find myself there at least once or twice a week in the spring/summer. I'm a definite country boy at heart.

Blog Entries
    14 curlews circling and shrieking.

10 years ago we were down to just a couple of pairs, the same with the lapwings, but damp summers seem to suit them and there has been a revival.
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 06-12-2013 at 01:58 AM.
    ay up

Blog Entries
    My room is on the basement floor and there was a deck built over my little basement window, so I see wood, spider webs, various insects, and dirt. I don't smell or hear anything, because there's no screen on my window so if I opened it the spiders would get in. It makes me feel like I'm buried.

*cough* Not to bring down the mood or anything.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    14 curlews circling and shrieking.

10 years ago we were down to just a couple of pairs, the same with the lapwings, but damp summers seem to suit them and there has been a revival.
    Mick - have you ever seen a curlews' mating dance? I looked out of my window one spring when I lived in wild West Wales and saw three curlews strutting and prancing around, two males trying to impress a female who was doing a very good nonchalance act. I've never read anything about a courtship dance for curlews so don't know if it is a regular thing: I felt so privileged to have seen it.

I loved seeing flocks of lapwings wheeling in the sky round about January time (winter migrants possibly?) - there would be a sheet of silver in the air that would disappear and reappear as the flock turned about and about. Then part of the flock would peel off and head for a different feeding station.

From the same window I saw a courtship ritual between a pair of marsh harriers: they were passing a stick or some such piece of nesting material between them, tumbling through the air to catch it and pass it on.

Just once I saw a tiny Jack snipe collecting nesting material, a stick nearly as big as himself.

There was not much animal life to be seen though we often had young foxes playing in the field after the silage was cut and we had evidence of visits from badgers but I never actually saw any.

In my present suburban home, I rarely see any bird life though I think there is blackbird's nest somewhere near as Mum and Dad are foraging in the newly dug flower beds. I'm reluctant to start feeding the birds until I get proper feeders or I will just be augmenting the diet of the most common form of animal life round here, the domestic moggy.

rat in a strange garret Whifflingpin's Avatar
    Dejos ma fenestra i a un aucelon
    Tota la nčit canta canta sa canson
    Voices mysterious far and near,
    Sound of the wind and sound of the sea,
    Are calling and whispering in my ear,
    Whifflingpin! Why stayest thou here?

Blog Entries
    Many awesome things...the songs of crickets....the silence of night....the slice of moon with Venus on it's upper crest.
    Last edited by kittypaws; 09-10-2013 at 12:29 AM.
    Everyone finds himself in the world where he belongs. The essential thing is to have a fixed point from which to check its reality now and then.
    Ancient Egyptian Inner Temples

Blog Entries
    My seasons here are moving into fall....what are your seasons doing and what will you see/hear outside your window?
    Everyone finds himself in the world where he belongs. The essential thing is to have a fixed point from which to check its reality now and then.

moving to winter! 6 degree Celsius today.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Blog Entries
    Pretty colored falling leaves. I love autumn.
    "I drag myself out of nightmares each morning and find there's no relief in waking."

Blog Entries
    Many bare branches and wet matted leaves. Rather gray and bleak! Hope the sun shines tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buh4Bee View Post
    Many bare branches and wet matted leaves. Rather gray and bleak! Hope the sun shines tomorrow.
    I hope it does too!

Were are You Buh4Bee?

It sounds like fall has befallen you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by faithosaurus View Post
    Pretty colored falling leaves. I love autumn.
    One of my favorite seasons too.

Here...outside my window the trees are just starting to turn. I notice them each morning in walking Zeus (my dog) and see how every day they change just a bit.

I know that one morning they will seem to instantly change into a wild spectacular burst of fall colors!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensive View Post
    moving to winter! 6 degree Celsius today.
    Brrrrrr! Where are you Pensive! In the South Arctic?
    Actually your temps in Fahrenheit is about 42 degrees.....not too bad!

Here, outside my window it is 59 Fahrenheit.

My sister lives in Arizona and to her 42 degrees F is freezing!

It is interesting the effects our climates have on our bodies. I have found when it starts to get chilly the more cold air I breath in the better I do with adjusting to the colder temps.

Blog Entries
    Our fall is late here in Maryland.
    Outside my window are tomato plants still holding fruit waiting to ripen...and when they do they are soooooo sweet!

Outside my window right now is darkness with a three quarter moon dropping soft beams which will soon guide me and Zeus on our nightly walk.

The most wonderful things is that the crickets are still here...singing their song! It is not the loud mating call they put out in the Spring but a soft, gentle voice of falling off into a fall's rest. That is a nice, soothing sound.

Thank you for sharing what is outside your window.

If you have pictures of what is outside your window ~ please share them.

Kittypaws

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast