Thread: You (Plural) a film based on Joyce's Ulysses Shakespeare's Hamlet Homer's Odyssey &c.

You (Plural) a film based on Joyce's Ulysses Shakespeare's Hamlet Homer's Odyssey &c.

This movie is an experimental adaptation that, in terms of the plot, plays Hamlet on a sort of loop. It begins where Hamlet begins, but ends at both the beginning and the ending. However, it doesn't exclusively adapt Hamlet, it looks at Shakespeare's entire oeuvre. For instance, in the "Hades" segment, the audience hears through Ulysses Bloom's thoughts (one of the main characters) every either last line or line referencing a character that commit suicide. Beside Branagh's, I think this is one of the most complete adaptations to date.
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 05-17-2013 at 06:51 AM. Reason: URL

Blog Entries
    I've seen plenty of butchering of Hamlet - a lot of them far worse than this. As an intellectual project, this is interesting. As a tangible film - not so much. I can watch this and enjoy the smashing of Joyce and Shakespeare (much the same way Joyce probably enjoyed mucking about while writing) - but I wouldn't put money towards this (and I don't think you should either.) There is nothing profitable here - just some esoteric fun.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Thanks for your reply, Charles! This project goes farther than that : a significant amount of Shakespeare is adapted and rewritten or revised to make it much more contemporary both socially and politically. (e.g. I adapt the "To be or not to be" soliloquy from an Atheist's perspective which I'm sure won't bode well for many.) I especially tinker with gender roles. The stringent hierarchy based on social class is also called into question. (I approached literature from a New Historicist critical perspective both as an undergrad and grad student -- Stephen Greenblatt's work on the Renaissance is greatly influential.)

I did adapt this with a focus on narrative momentum so that a spectator who hasn't read any of these works would still find it entertaining, but you're right about it being esoteric fun for many others which I hope it will be.

Since I am still revising and even completely rewriting some sections every day and undoubtedly will into shooting, I would sincerely appreciate feedback on any ways to improve this. Everyone so far has been so helpful, whether they absolutely hated or loved it. Thanks again!

Blog Entries
    Well best of luck. My only advice is: don't overdo it. Just reading your summary is exhausting.
    I am obsessed with Shakespeare, and I love Greenblatt (it was after meeting him that I decided to focus intensively on Shakespeare) - so what you are planning seems like it should really appeal to me. But it sounds like you are trying to cover a lot, and in doing so you risk quality.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Wow! You had the opportunity to meet Greenblatt! The closest I've come is being nose deep into his scholarly work. Funny enough, some of the people that've watched longer bits of the movie also said some chapters were exhausting, but with Joyce's "Ulysses" as my primary inspiration, I think he would've liked it that way. Have you read "Ulysses?"

Sounds interesting as a concept but a film would be quite difficult. Speaking not only as a Shakespeare fan but also a dedicated Joycean (I read and re-read Ulysses all the time) I would be interested in hearing of the progress of this endeavor.

Thanks for your interest, Macintosh. (Is that a reference to the Macintosh in the Hades section of Ulysses?)

I have sat down and spoken for hours with other Joyceans, general literati, and non-readers (and much more briefly with a couple of my previous professors, one who specializes in Irish lit) and even after that they mostly both couldn't picture it or thought it doable, but once I showed them the scenes from the test shoot I could see their faces light up epiphanously/epiphanically (there's no adverb form in my OED). I think it's a bit like, for instance, Beckett attempting to explain "Waiting for Godot" (not that I'll ever match his genius) to people before it came out on stage (I feel so pretentious writing this, but there is absolutely no affectation here). It's difficult to describe, especially when I say that it's an homage to all art forms of the twentieth century.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have at all, and if you'd like to take the time, I have questions of my own. I've had so many meaningful and indispensable conversations with people online since I began this project in 2011, and I'm still revising and rewriting on a daily basis, so all feedback is immensely appreciated.

If you haven't yet, you can watch ten minutes of clips and the first ten minutes of the movie at this page: https://vimeo.com/65971797 -- just scrub forward to 6:50.

In terms of the progress and timeline for this, I'm running a Kickstarter campaign right now in order to afford experienced actors and other crew, but despite whether or not I secure the donations, I have money saved aside and will complete shooting this summer.