Thread: similar novels to Frankenstein

similar novels to Frankenstein

When I read Frankenstein, I was struck by this great language and different kind of style - having so many different kinds of points of views and actually making it possible to look into the creature's character. I've read a few threads here and I agree with you all who sympathise with Frankenstein's creature and despise, as well as condemn Frankenstein as the real monster. It's a while ago since I've read this amazing novel and soon after that I also read Dracula which was also a good read but not quite as refreshing as Frankenstein had been. Do you know any other book that has the same idea (responsibility for a maker who achieved great knowledge, creating something like a monster) and is well written, too? One that also belongs in that time? I know that I might be asking too much.

I haven't read the story, just seen the movie, but Lovecraft's "Herbert West—Reanimator" comes immediately to mind.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by janeite View Post
    When I read Frankenstein, I was struck by this great language and different kind of style - having so many different kinds of points of views and actually making it possible to look into the creature's character. I've read a few threads here and I agree with you all who sympathise with Frankenstein's creature and despise, as well as condemn Frankenstein as the real monster. It's a while ago since I've read this amazing novel and soon after that I also read Dracula which was also a good read but not quite as refreshing as Frankenstein had been. Do you know any other book that has the same idea (responsibility for a maker who achieved great knowledge, creating something like a monster) and is well written, too? One that also belongs in that time? I know that I might be asking too much.
    First we have to define what a monster is. There may have been a physical monster in Frankenstein, but there are a lot of metaphorical monsters in American Literature. In the scarlet letter, the 'monster' is adultery and physical rejection. Physical monsters represent conceptual ideas about the ugliness of humanity. Shelley created a physical monster to represent all of the traditional and non traditional taboos of Western culture. This representation is found everywhere in literature.

I do not recommend the Scarlet Letter because it is not the same writing style. However, To Kill a Mockingbird may be a book you may be interested in. There are so many legends wrapped up in the main 'villain' in this book. Spoiler alert: He embodies the widespread misunderstanding and becomes a monster in the eyes of those who do not know him. Mary Shelley is a very distinct author, but subject wise I feel like this is a good start.

Recently I've read "Teen Frankenstein" by Chandler Baker. Baker's story is one of the most accurate, thoughtful and funny Shelley’s "Frankenstein" re-imaging I've ever read. Nice work!