Thread: Reading in progress: The Night Circus

Smile Reading in progress: The Night Circus

Hi all,

I made an account here because I don't know anyone interested in reading The Night Circus and wanted to discuss it. So--anyone here fit the bill?

I've been reading it for a year and am about 3/4 through because I keep leaving it (I wish Kobo had overall page numbers). I find it well written but pretentious. I love the atmosphere but find the story to be going nowhere slowly and the author takes everything far too seriously. I think Celia's a Mary Sue because she's perfect and everyone loves her the end. Actually, I don't like any of the characters, though Tsukiko is growing on me and I almost like Baily XD Least of all, Marco. I feel like none of them have any endearing qualities.

At this point in the book we know that the big mysterious game ends when one of the players dies. Okay. Why don't they scale down the circus to a more manageable level, lose Mr. No-name H and invisible Mr. Bowen with their magic skills, and live as they have been until someone passes of old age? No rules preventing this have been uncovered that I remember.

I want more of a story and less show-and-tell, but I do keep returning to it. :P

If you're reading it/read it I'm interested in hearing your evaluation, however different it may be from my own
    Last edited by evegeris; 05-05-2013 at 02:53 PM.

I was thinking of reading it. I am someone that judges books by their covers...and the cover looked interesting.
    I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty, I'm just glad to have a glass.

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentMute View Post
    I was thinking of reading it. I am someone that judges books by their covers...and the cover looked interesting.

That's why I picked it up as well :P The cover art seems pretty fitting for the writing, as well.