Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boston Man Hunt Over

Exclamation Boston Man Hunt Over

The two brothers involved in the explosions of the Boston Marathon are now being caught. One dead after being shot down by an army squad and other badly injured by gun shots is hospitalised.
    America style of dealing with terrorist is to hunt down any culprit by shooting them dead by a heavy handed armed squad. I was shocked at the amount of guns and the size of them the American squads carry on them in any raid I dare think what they have on them when in war zones or military training.
    the question is this:
    Now that the two brother are literally dead how is anyone to know why these brothers did what they did?
    Is shooting culprits terrorists dead the answer to why is terrorism is on the rise in the US?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    What do you think should be done?

Hello Hannah I personally think that they should have been arrested alive and questioned over why they did what they did.
    In order to get to the bottom of this incident one must talk about it and found out the causes behind the terrorism. Dealing with it by exposing its root is the only way to deroot it. Killing the culprits behind the heneous act will not stop others from repeating the same incident.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Now that the two brother are literally dead how is anyone to know why these brothers did what they did?
    One of them is very much alive, and currently in police custody. The police shot the other one because he was shooting at them - this seems a reasonable, if sad, response.

I dare say we will find out in time what they were hoping to achieve.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    What occurs to me is the way the whole city was shut down. I don't understand what theological end Islamists hope to achieve by blowing up random innocents, but if terrorists want to bring terror to people, that is what happened.
    ay up

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    Hello Hannah I personally think that they should have been arrested alive and questioned over why they did what they did.
    In order to get to the bottom of this incident one must talk about it and found out the causes behind the terrorism. Dealing with it by exposing its root is the only way to deroot it. Killing the culprits behind the heneous act will not stop others from repeating the same incident.
    It is unreasonable to expect police to endanger their lives in order to apprehend someone alive who is shooting at them, had a bomb strapped to their body, and who had already shot and killed a police officer earlier in the day.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    What occurs to me is the way the whole city was shut down. I don't understand what theological end Islamists hope to achieve by blowing up random innocents, but if terrorists want to bring terror to people, that is what happened.
    there is no understanding to what terrorists do and that is the culprit it is extremely random. the worrying thing of it all is that the explosives were two pressure cookers detonated by handheld. it shows how easy it is to make these explosives.
    killing by killing does not solve terrorism and I do not know what to say about how this happened. I feel that if they have one alive then they must engage in conversation.
    the other thing is that I find it perhaps too easy for the fbi or the police squad to just shoot at someone shooting at them. they are after many against one or two at the most. I feel they need to upper their trainings with less guns but with more strategies to catch these people in order to get to the root of this heinous crime. people lives depends on it. more thinking must be spend on how to catch these culprits alive I feel it is the best long term.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    It is unreasonable to expect police to endanger their lives in order to apprehend someone alive who is shooting at them, had a bomb strapped to their body, and who had already shot and killed a police officer earlier in the day.
    I agree but the police in their numbers compared to two is really not that threatening. handling a gun seems to me the easiest option for the police and also the most detrimental one because there is in the end no real conclusion to why this happened. this means more of the same will happen.
    the police came out in force with heavy guns and yes they will kill because of it. I feel there is need/room for brain and other physical strategies to catch these culprits alive. a gun is not the answer and neither is death.
    Last edited by cacian; 04-20-2013 at 07:20 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    I agree but the police in their numbers compared to two is really not that threatening. handling a gun seems to me the easiest option for the police and also the most detrimental one because there is in the end no real conclusion to why this happened. this means more of the same will happen.
    the police came out in force with heavy guns and yes they will kill because of it. I feel there is need/room for brain and other physical strategies to catch these culprits alive. a gun is the answer and neither is death.
    And what if he had killed other people whilst trying to be apprehended? What if he had taken hostages? And what if he had escaped? Or detonated himself to take others with him? When a known bomber is armed with explosives and is shooting at you, I think the time for the softly-softly apprach has pretty much passed.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    When a known bomber is armed with explosives and is shooting at you, I think the time for the softly-softly apprach has pretty much passed.

Oh dear, I can just see the pained expression on Polly Toynbee's face.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

And what if he had killed other people whilst trying to be apprehended? What if he had taken hostages? And what if he had escaped? Or detonated himself to take others with him? When a known bomber is armed with explosives and is shooting at you, I think the time for the softly-softly apprach has pretty much passed.
    Ah well and as US president Barack Obama put it on Thursday: "Scripture tells us to run with endurance the race that is set before us."
    Endurance is heavy handed but not necessarily quick to fire and the race is about catching up with one another. Shooting does not recourse to neither of these.
    I am not sure what I would have done myself but I think for the sake of the majority I would have consulted with the minority as not to dismiss their priorities and be left with sororities. There is a firm justice somewhere and we are losing sight of it by gun which is not the square and just thing to do in my opinion.
    Last edited by cacian; 04-20-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Ah well and as US president Barack Obama put it on Thursday: "Scripture tells us to run with endurance the race that is set before us."
    Endurance is heavy handed but not necessarily quick to fire and the race is about catching up with one another. Shooting does not recourse to neither of these.
    I am not sure what I would have done myself but I think for the sake of the majority I would have consulted with the minority as not to dismiss their priorities and be left with sorrowities. There is a firm justice somewhere and we are losing sight of it by gun which is not the square and just thing to do in my opinion.
    Lokasenna,

If you manage to work out what is being said here, I would be grateful if you were to let me and any other interested parties know.
    I'm particularly interested to know the meaning of 'sorrowities'.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    Lokasenna,

If you manage to work out what is being said here, I would be grateful if you were to let me and any other interested parties know.
    sororities rather. I thought I will put a W to indicate sorrowing but it did not work.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller
    Lokasenna,

Quote Originally Posted by cacian
    sororities rather. I thought I will put a W to indicate sorrowing but it did not work.
    No idea. Even I, an expert in several arcane languages, am at a loss for translation. Cacian, somehow, manages to use the English language like a Rubik's Cube.

I have long since accepted that English is not her first language, but to paraphrase the late Linda Smith I am no longer convinced that 'language is her first language'.

As for Polly Toynbee, I am sure that her suggestion would be to approach the gun-wielding terrorist armed only with a cup of tea and a biscuit, ready to talk about their 'issues'. One might call it 'understanding with extreme prejudice'.

I note also that my American housemate's response was 'I'm glad they caught one of them. Now they can put him on trial, and sentence him to death.'

No idea. Even I, an expert in several arcane languages, am at a loss for translation. Cacian, somehow, manages to use the English language like a Rubik's Cube.

I have long since accepted that English is not her first language, but to paraphrase the late Linda Smith I am no longer convinced that 'language is her first language'.

As for Polly Toynbee, I am sure that her suggestion would be to approach the gun-wielding terrorist armed only with a cup of tea and a biscuit, ready to talk about their 'issues'. One might call it 'understanding with extreme prejudice'.

I note also that my American housemate's response was 'I'm glad they caught one of them. Now they can put him on trial, and sentence him to death.'

There should be a time machine which enables one to travel back to war-time Bletchley Park and hand over one of Cacian's posts to the cryptologists with the words: 'Pick the bones out of that'.

As for the perpetually irritating Polly, she recently suggested that The Archers wasn't politically correct in that it fails to mention government cuts etc etc. This elicited some choice responses from Telegraph readers including the one posted below:

'I wish people would stop decrying Polly. She's an elderly lady in a state of permanent befuddlement and the therapy of daily keyboard work is very good for her fingers. In this context, I would ask people to be more tolerant of her inconsequential meanderings.
    Polly actually loves The Archers and often counsels fellow residents of The Twilight Home for Distressed Lefties to listen in. Then it's a chorus of The Red Flag, some hot Ovaltine and lights out in the Miliband Wing.'

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast