Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Fashioned Currency

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar

Old Fashioned Currency

A couple of us touched on the topic of old coins/ currency on the pen pal thread that led me to create this spin off thread for those interested in numismatics, another among the classic hobbies. At least one member expressed interest in discussing further along with sharing some examples. In addition to stamp collecting (philately), I developed an interest in old coins at a young age when my Grandfather first showed me a collection of coins he kept in an old Elgin watch box.
    Most of my Grandfathers coins were collected during his time in France fighting in WW I. In addition to his European coins from the war, his small collection included a few from other countries as well as U.S. The most outstanding coin from his collection is an 1887 Liberty Head 5 dollar gold coin. In time, I ended up inheriting those coins.

Here are a few examples from my collection. Enjoy:

(click on thumbnails for larger image)

I’d appreciate any help identifying the first coin- EDIT - first coin identified thanks to Whifflingpin

How about other members, any interest in numismatics?
    Do you have any notable items to share?

Last edited by Gilliatt Gurgle; 04-14-2013 at 09:33 PM.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Blog Entries
    I used to collect pennies, nickels and dimes in those blue folders when I was a child, but that is as far as it went. I even had a few Indian head pennies and buffalo nickels, but what was still in circulation that we found valuable were those odd-colored WW2 cents. I don't think any of these are rare or unusual like some of what you have pictured.

Nowadays, I would be glad to see a real silver quarter in the change, but I don't even bother looking. With the designs on the US coins having changed so much, I sometimes don't know if I have a US coin or one from Canada. Those euro coins are so heavy by comparison and the modern Chinese coins so light.
    Last edited by YesNo; 04-13-2013 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    I used to collect pennies, nickels and dimes in those blue folders when I was a child, but that is as far as it went. I even had a few Indian head pennies and buffalo nickels, but what was still in circulation that we found valuable were those odd-colored WW2 cents. I don't think any of these are rare or unusual like some of what you have pictured.

Nowadays, I would be glad to see a real silver quarter in the change, but I don't even bother looking. With the designs on the US coins having changed so much, I sometimes don't know if I have a US coin or one from Canada. Those euro coins are so heavy by comparison and the modern Chinese coins so light.
    Thanks for stopping by.
    I believe you are referring to the Whitman folders, there's a few buried somewhere in the house. The odd colored pennies would be the 1943 steel penny (U.S.) composed of steel with a thin layer of zinc cladding. The copper was removed for the war effort. During WW II the composition of the Nickel was altered as well by removing, ironically, the nickel from the Nickel. From 1942 through 1945, the U.S. Nickel was composed of Copper/Silver/ Manganese alloy. You can spot a wartime Nickel by the darker tarnish.

I prepared an example of the 1943 steel penny and a WW II "silver" Nickel. Below each is a standard copper alloy penny and nickel Nickel for comparison:

rat in a strange garret Whifflingpin's Avatar
    Just for starters on the unkown coin:

1953AD - 1372AH; 10fils?; Iraq

see the 1953 2fils coin on this page - http://en.numista.com/catalogue/irak-1.html
    Last edited by Whifflingpin; 04-14-2013 at 12:09 PM.
    Voices mysterious far and near,
    Sound of the wind and sound of the sea,
    Are calling and whispering in my ear,
    Whifflingpin! Why stayest thou here?

closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilliatt Gurgle View Post
    A couple of us touched on the topic of old coins/ currency on the pen pal thread that led me to create this spin off thread for those interested in numismatics, another among the classic hobbies. At least one member expressed interest in discussing further along with sharing some examples. In addition to stamp collecting (philately), I developed an interest in old coins at a young age when my Grandfather first showed me a collection of coins he kept in an old Elgin watch box.
    Most of my Grandfathers coins were collected during his time in France fighting in WW I. In addition to his European coins from the war, his small collection included a few from other countries as well as U.S. The most outstanding coin from his collection is an 1887 Liberty Head 5 dollar gold coin. In time, I ended up inheriting those coins.

Here are a few examples from my collection. Enjoy:

(click on thumbnails for larger image)

I’d appreciate any help identifying the first coin-

How about other members, any interest in numismatics?
    Do you have any notable items to share? .
    Thank You for starting this thread. Interesting collections you have got there and regarding the 1887 gold coin with the Lady of Liberty minted wearing a coronet and posed with her hair fashionably braided, is valued around US $600 in the online market and through back searching it is almost US $1000 in the local club. Since your prized coin contains 7.0 grams of gold, it is an extra added feature in the market, the value of gold fluctuating in the international market being another factor. By the way have you ever exhibited your collections anywhere?
    Last edited by Bleeding Pawn; 04-14-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whifflingpin View Post
    Just for starters on the unkown coin:

1953AD - 1372AH; 10fils?; Iraq

see the 1953 2fils coin on this page - http://en.numista.com/catalogue/irak-1.html
    You made quick work of that and I thank you.
    I believe you are correct with the 10 fils based on what I see on the third page of the link you sent.
    Here's the direct link to that specific coin - http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7502.html

A usefull website too.
    Were you familiar with this site based on experience in numismatics or discovered in the challenge to identify the coin?
    Again-thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Pawn View Post
    Thank You for starting this thread. Interesting collections you have got there and regarding the 1887 gold coin with the Lady of Liberty minted wearing a coronet and posed with her hair fashionably braided, is valued around US $600 in the online market and through back searching it is almost US $1000 in the local club. Since your prized coin contains 7.0 grams of gold, it is an extra added feature in the market, the value of gold fluctuating in the international market being another factor. By the way have you ever exhibited your collections anywhere?
    Thanks, based on my crude knowledge of grading coins, I believe it is considered "extremely fine" (EF) which does increase the value.

I have not exhibited and really never gave it a thought. Like stamps I was very active when much younger, but too young to consider exhibiting. Besides, the collection is really not organized in a manner suitable for exhibiting. The samples above, along with dozens more, are mounted in those basic bi-fold cardboard cellophane coin holders. In addition I have a few of the Whitman coin folders and otherwise hoards of loose coins. Paper currency is stuffed in an envelope !

How about you, it get the impression numismatics is more in your "wheel house" than stamps. (?)

Blog Entries
    I don`t collect old currency but I have recently found some old coins from PRL (the comunist period in Poland) for example.

closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilliatt Gurgle
    How about you, it get the impression numismatics is more in your "wheel house" than stamps. (?)

Exactly. Everything/anything which has some history attached to it fascinates me. Whenever I come across any object of certain historical value attached, it makes me ponder what were the consequences that made it end up where it is now and what stories it would be holding back, I wish only if they could just talk to me once, just once and the numerous hands it has changed. I remember writing an essay once about the life of an antique coin which probably might have sparked my interest in the world of jingles and chinks but my interest/passion and collections is nothing when compared to yours rather I think comparing something to your treasures is a mismatch.
    By the way have you ever estimated the value of your precious collections? If not then what do you say lets go history hunting?

rat in a strange garret Whifflingpin's Avatar
    "Were you familiar with this site based on experience in numismatics or discovered in the challenge to identify the coin?"

Discovered in the challenge. I'm not a numismatist at all, although I used to know a bit about banknotes. That was enough to recognise the Arabic dates (AD & AH) and denomination, (but not anything else in the script.) A few Google searches on 1953 middle-eastern coins soon turned up the answer.
    Voices mysterious far and near,
    Sound of the wind and sound of the sea,
    Are calling and whispering in my ear,
    Whifflingpin! Why stayest thou here?

Blog Entries
    This is an interesting little thread. I have inherited my father's collection of interesting coins and notes. Some of the most unusual items a some occupation money from just after WWII which includes some 3d notes. Can't find out anything about these unusual notes on-line. The other currencies come from all over the world and reflect his travels.

The oldest coins I personally acquired are a George III cartwheel penny, almost warn smooth, and my pride and joy, a 1st Century Roman As which I found in my garden when I was digging over the raspberry patch! This last coin is on permanent loan to the local museum.

Exactly. Everything/anything which has some history attached to it fascinates me. Whenever I come across any object of certain historical value attached, it makes me ponder what were the consequences that made it end up where it is now and what stories it would be holding back, I wish only if they could just talk to me once, just once and the numerous hands it has changed. I remember writing an essay once about the life of an antique coin which probably might have sparked my interest in the world of jingles and chinks but my interest/passion and collections is nothing when compared to yours rather I think comparing something to your treasures is a mismatch.
    By the way have you ever estimated the value of your precious collections? If not then what do you say lets go history hunting?

I've often thought the same thing; maybe Lincoln bought a stick of licorice with that^ 1838 dime or that^ 1906 penny was jingling around in Teddy Roosevelt's pocket. Who knows?
    No, I haven't estimated the value overall. Your "history hunt" idea sounds swell. There are more Asian coins that need to be identified/ dated. I'll post a few more to see what we can find out.

...I'm not a numismatist at all, although I used to know a bit about banknotes. That was enough to recognise the Arabic dates (AD & AH) and denomination, (but not anything else in the script.) A few Google searches on 1953 middle-eastern coins soon turned up the answer.
    Re: banknotes- I do have quite a few examples of paper currency as well, most were collected by my father during his time in the Pacific during WW II.
    I'll post a few examples some of which I need help identifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    This is an interesting little thread. I have inherited my father's collection of interesting coins and notes. Some of the most unusual items a some occupation money from just after WWII which includes some 3d notes. Can't find out anything about these unusual notes on-line. The other currencies come from all over the world and reflect his travels.

The oldest coins I personally acquired are a George III cartwheel penny, almost warn smooth, and my pride and joy, a 1st Century Roman As which I found in my garden when I was digging over the raspberry patch! This last coin is on permanent loan to the local museum.
    That's great! Perhaps we could see some examples?
    Sounds like the Roman coin is out of pocket, so to speak, for the time being.
    If you're also interested in stamps, you should take a look at the pen pal thread a few slots down in case you overlooked it.
    Thanks for stopping by.

closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilliatt Gurgle
    I've often thought the same thing; maybe Lincoln bought a stick of licorice with that^ 1838 dime or that^ 1906 penny was jingling around in Teddy Roosevelt's pocket. Who knows?
    No, I haven't estimated the value overall. Your "history hunt" idea sounds swell. There are more Asian coins that need to be identified/ dated. I'll post a few more to see what we can find out.
    Eagerly waiting.

...I'm not a numismatist at all, although I used to know a bit about banknotes. That was enough to recognise the Arabic dates (AD & AH) and denomination, (but not anything else in the script.)...
    Eagerly waiting.
    I finally found some time to process a few more images.
    First; a few examples of banknotes

(click on thumbnails)

Obverse

Reverse

Obverse

Reverse

In addition, I was able to create a few more slides of coins:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilliatt Gurgle View Post
    That's great! Perhaps we could see some examples?
    Sounds like the Roman coin is out of pocket, so to speak, for the time being.
    If you're also interested in stamps, you should take a look at the pen pal thread a few slots down in case you overlooked it.
    Thanks for stopping by.
    Yup, I'll try an dig them out

Live and be well - H

Blog Entries
    My initial claim that my father's notes were "Occupation Money" may not actually be 100% accurate. Having dug them out I observe that they are in fact 1 British Armed Forces Special Voucher (series 2) face value 3d issued in 1947 (or 1948 according to Wikipedia) and 3 Military Payment Certificates series 472 (issued 22 Mar 1948 - withdrawn June 20th 1951. These last three would have been distributed in Austria, Belgium England, France, Germany Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy Japan, Korea, Morocco, Philippines, Ryukyus, Scotland, Trieste and Yugoslavia. Dad almost certainly picked them up in Germany when he was on the Berlin Airlift.

The notes aren't in particularly good condition and the British one is practically worthless, except to me, but depending on condition and where you look, the American ones could be worth as much as $100 or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast