Thread: paraphrasing and texting

paraphrasing and texting

How often do you paraphrase?
    I looking into paraphrasing and I wondered how practical/easy it is in writing.
    A paraphrase is usually introduced with a verbum dicendi​—​a declaratory expression to signal the transition to the paraphrase.

An example is the ''animal was wild'' how would you paraphrase it?

as oppose to this example:

''the lights were faulty''
    to
    ''the traffics was randy as cars dashed in out and round abouts in a random manner obstructing the views because the lights were faulty?''

could I say that:
    a) prose is close to paraphrasing then poetry because the latest is briefer
    b) it is a manner of speech rather then a written one? ie one does not need to write it as much as say it.
    and
    c)it is more of a of sarcasmic/sarcasm tone then a literary one?
    Ie it comes across as sarcastic rather then necessary so instead of saying it as it is one needs to demonstrate it with longer sentences?
    Last edited by cacian; 04-12-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    Paraphrasing means to express an other's words in a different way in order to clarify them. That's at least how I understand the word and I had to look it up because I wasn't sure: https://www.google.com/search?q=para...ient=firefox-a

I don't think paraphrasing is related to poetry one way or the other. I would distinguish poetry from prose based on how much more symmetry there is in poetry than in prose especially related to sound.

Sarcasm is a form of verbal abuse where some other person is ridiculed. This could be distinguished from humor where the speaker is also being ridiculed.

At least that's how I understand the words at the moment. Perhaps others will set me straight.

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    Paraphrasing means to express an other's words in a different way in order to clarify them. That's at least how I understand the word and I had to look it up because I wasn't sure: https://www.google.com/search?q=para...ient=firefox-a

I don't think paraphrasing is related to poetry one way or the other. I would distinguish poetry from prose based on how much more symmetry there is in poetry than in prose especially related to sound.

Sarcasm is a form of verbal abuse where some other person is ridiculed. This could be distinguished from humor where the speaker is also being ridiculed.

At least that's how I understand the words at the moment. Perhaps others will set me straight.
    HI YesNo I think they are more likely to set me straight LOL
    I mentioned sarcasm because we usually use it to interact our outrage at someone for not getting what one is saying.
    Paraphrasing seem to delve into the explanatory or the obvious by stating part of a speech into a longer elaborate one.
    What I meant about poetry is that we tend to write in short brief stages of sentences utterances and therefore it appears to be short and brief.
    Prose however is more diverse and longer texted.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Paraphrasing means to say the same thing using different words - for example, we paraphrase when we report what another person said without actually quoting them word for word.

So in your example one could paraphrase 'the animal was wild' as 'the creature was not tame'.

I don't understand the rest of your post.

H

Sarcasm got infested with cacianation. LOL
    That's like saying that there are certain words that have an intrinsic meaning and cannot be used genuinely. BS galore.