Hi, I have two related questions on just why the sermon by father Arnall even features in the book.

1. I can clearly see that the sermon scared Stephen into trying a life of piety and spirituality, and only after trying it out, he realizes that that isn't the life for him, but I can't really see too much of a connection between the content and effects of the sermon on how Stephen developed his aesthetic theory.
What aspect of Arnall's sermon actually contributed to the development of Stephen's theory ?

2.Was Father Arnall's description of hell an artistic one according to Stephen's later developed aesthetic theory ?
I mean, clearly Stephen was traumatized by all those descriptions of hell, but was he affected by it so deeply because it was 'art'? And he is one to appreciate art
Hell is described as a very 'kinetic' sort of affair with all the fire, pain, suffering, moaning, torment, etc. But there is that whole sense of 'perpetual'-ness which gives hell a static, everlasting quality.
Is Stephen appreciating hell here ? Or is he so repulsed and terrified by the idea that he bases his aesthetic theory on the exact opposite sort of emotions that Father Arnall's sermon relies on?

Thanks.