Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ender’s Game - Orson Scott Card

Blog Entries

Ender’s Game - Orson Scott Card

I picked this book up on the weekend after noting it as must-read sci-fi and I've been very impressed so far. I'm almost done it and I started reading it this morning.

It doesn't have the best characters but the plot and pace are extremely immersive. A page turner of a book charged with conflict and commentary on human nature, war and power.

It's making me think when I put it down.

A must read for sci-fi fans.

Any love for Ender's Game?
    While the truncheon may be used
    in lieu of conversation,
    words will always retain their power.
    Words offer the means to meaning,
    and for those who will listen,
    the enunciation of truth.

Blog Entries
    Ender's Game is a competent novel, but Card's other work never quite lives up to it, and that is made worse by some of his unfortunate attitudes towards a number of subjects and his more explicit Mormon proselytizing in some works.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries
    I read it and liked it. Not my usual genre, but as you say a page-turner.
    ay up

He writes well in this book, but I cannot recommend it because of the author's violent other writings. I cannot feel comfortable accusing other authors of antisemitism while helping to fund a raging homophobic bigot.

Blog Entries
    I am not really a scifi fan, but a colleague begged me to read this a few years back, mostly because OSC lives here in the same city I live, Greensboro, NC. I thoroughly enjoyed the story--so much so I sent OSC some comments through his Web site. Within a couple days I received an email, thanking me for the praise and asking for my mailing address. A day or two later, I received an inscribed copy of Enchantment, which I have yet to read.
    "J'ai seul la clef de cette parade sauvage."
    - Rimbaud

"Il est l'heure de s'enivrer!
    Pour n'être pas les esclaves martyrisés du Temps,
    enivrez-vous;
    enivrez-vous sans cesse!
    De vin, de poésie ou de vertu, à votre guise."
    - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    It's interesting reading here that a lot of people are turned off by OSC's personal life and his personal views. I didn't know much about them and I still don't. I'll also take under advisement that this is probably his best work.

One thing that I thought was REALLY weird about Ender's Game was the relationship between Ender and Valentine, his sister. It was written more like a forbidden incest love than a true brotherly-sisterly love.

I finished it last night however, and I really enjoyed the twist at the end. You know, the one about the simulation. I don't want to spell out what it was because spoilers.

Anyway, overall I quite enjoyed it aside from a few small details.
    While the truncheon may be used
    in lieu of conversation,
    words will always retain their power.
    Words offer the means to meaning,
    and for those who will listen,
    the enunciation of truth.

I loved the book but didn't care for the first sequel at all (though lots of people love that as well). Reviews for subsequent sequels have been worse, except for one: Ender's Shadow, which is a retelling of Ender's Game from the point of view of his friend Bean. That one has also gotten very good reviews. I haven't read it yet, but if you do, I'd like to know what you think.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    I loved the book but didn't care for the first sequel at all (though lots of people love that as well). Reviews for subsequent sequels have been worse, except for one: Ender's Shadow, which is a retelling of Ender's Game from the point of view of his friend Bean. That one has also gotten very good reviews. I haven't read it yet, but if you do, I'd like to know what you think.
    It's alright, I didn't think it was anything special. It rehashed mostly standard sci-fi tropes without doing anything too interesting with them. I think it plays well to people who are really into Ender's Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Grit View Post
    It's interesting reading here that a lot of people are turned off by OSC's personal life and his personal views. I didn't know much about them and I still don't. I'll also take under advisement that this is probably his best work.
    Well he rewrote Hamlet and made half the characters gay pedophiles.

http://www.raintaxi.com/online/2011summer/card.shtml

Card later claimed that he was just inverting the Oedipal interpretation of the text, however that's a bit problematic considering his long history of political and personal attacks against gays in blogs, editorials, and speaking engagements.

(Someone gave me Card's rewrite of Midsummer Night's Dream a couple years ago, which thankfully was only offensive as a result of butchering its source material.)
    Last edited by OrphanPip; 04-02-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I haven't read the book, but have heard good things about it. Maybe one day. His political views have become increasingly disturbing to many. Here are some articles here:

http://www.salon.com/2013/03/07/end_..._card_partner/

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/...uperman-comic/
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Blog Entries
    He has an opinion poll in a local paper here in Greensboro, NC that raises more than a few hackles:

http://greensboro.rhinotimes.com/art...admission.html

(I can sense a nascent thread about separating the author from the work.)
    "J'ai seul la clef de cette parade sauvage."
    - Rimbaud

"Il est l'heure de s'enivrer!
    Pour n'être pas les esclaves martyrisés du Temps,
    enivrez-vous;
    enivrez-vous sans cesse!
    De vin, de poésie ou de vertu, à votre guise."
    - Baudelaire

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisvia View Post
    He has an opinion poll in a local paper here in Greensboro, NC that raises more than a few hackles:

http://greensboro.rhinotimes.com/art...admission.html

(I can sense a nascent thread about separating the author from the work.)
    It is far easier to do that once they're dead, lol. Somehow the idea of rewarding him monetarily makes one a little nauseous.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Read it in high school science fiction is not normally my cup of tea but I liked this book I wasnt big on the ending but the rest of the book was great

Ender's Game is a great book for pure page turning, entertainment value. It's still one of my favorite sci-fi books because its an enjoyable read. I would put it in my top 10 sci-fi books.

Blog Entries
    I like Ender's Game, it's pretty great. It's not about entertainment value alone though--the book creates dialogue about morality and the role of kids in society. It was hugely influential on other scifi works too--like the whole Halo series. Halo Reach, the one that shows the development of the Spartans, is essentially recreating the same setting. What I find really interesting though is the whole Valentine being Demosthenes metaphor. I wrote a paper last year on how the whole story is really a metaphor for the situation in Greece in the 4th century. The reasons go far beyond Valentine, and it's all pretty surprising but really cool.

And there's a movie coming out about it. Whether or not he hates gays, he's still making money.
    Last edited by qimissung; 04-07-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    I like Ender's Game, it's pretty great. It's not about entertainment value alone though--the book creates dialogue about morality and the role of kids in society. It was hugely influential on other scifi works too--like the whole Halo series. Halo Reach, the one that shows the development of the Spartans, is essentially recreating the same setting. What I find really interesting though is the whole Valentine being Demosthenes metaphor. I wrote a paper last year on how the whole story is really a metaphor for the situation in Greece in the 4th century. The reasons go far beyond Valentine, and it's all pretty surprising but really cool.
    Well Niven's Ringworld and Heinlein's Starship Troopers are probably more proximate influences on Halo, not that influencing Halo is all that great an accomplishment. The novel's plot is rather conventional sci-fi and I'm not certain it has really had that much of an impact on subsequent writing. To me, Ender's Game is the high point of a declining genre from the 80's, that is the futuristic superman and space opera genres, with some vague gesturing towards the emerging subgenre of cyberpunk. Card's impact is much harder to argue than relative contemporaries like Dick and Stephenson (who continues to write provocative works in sci-fi and fantasy, instead of cashing in on a single hit like Card has done).
    - Margaret Atwood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast