Thread: The Club Dumas

The Club Dumas

Seeing if anyone's read it and their thoughts on the book?

I originally got it because a movie was made based off the book (The Ninth Gate). And so far, the books more entertaining (which it always is) than the movie.

Depster>anybook.

ya...

Blog Entries
    I first saw the movie years ago and did not at the time know it was based off a book. The movie itself I quite enjoyed as well it was the sort of thing that was right up my alley. I then happened upon the book Club Dumas and still was not yet aware of the connection between movie and book. But the book was recommended to me here on Litnet, plus as a fan of Dumas

I read the book last year, and soon began to see the similarities between the book and the movie, and found out sure enough that the movie was based off the book, which made me even more intrigued by the book. The book itself I absolutely loved (no surprise there considering how much I liked the movie) but it was exactly the kind of thing which I enjoy reading, and the characters in the book were great I thought. I particularly enjoyed the descriptions of Corso.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Tu le connais, lecteur... Kafka's Crow's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I read the book many, many years ago while on a holiday in Hayle, Cornwall. I have his The Painter of Battles as well but I was not much impressed by The Club Dumas so the other book is still gathering dust. I preffered Zafon's books over Arturo Pérez-Reverte's and have read most of them.
    "The farther he goes the more good it does me. I don’t want philosophies, tracts, dogmas, creeds, ways out, truths, answers, nothing from the bargain basement. He is the most courageous, remorseless writer going and the more he grinds my nose in the sh1t the more I am grateful to him..."
    -- Harold Pinter on Samuel Beckett