Thread: Does Frankenstein resemble Adam?

Does Frankenstein resemble Adam?

I know that Frankenstein resembles a god, or more closely, Prometheus; and that the monster can resemble Adam, or Satan... but doesn't Frankenstein resemble Adam? He is human, no matter how hard he tries to play god, and he lives in a sort of privileged Eden of his own, where he is nurtured and encouraged by his family. He is devoted to science, which he thinks is great for mankind, but then there's the apple: Science gone too far, or science mixed with magic. Humans aren't meant to mess with God territory, but Frankenstein can't resist taking a bite of the forbidden apple and transcends from a human to a god. After he bites the apple, or creates the monster, he falls from Eden because his life pretty much becomes miserable from then on. Only humans view him as a fallen god, because he created life, but he is still human regardless of what he did, so he resembles Adam in that he was a human who couldn't resist the knowledge of true gods, and it ruined him. Or am I completely wrong? Because when I think about it I see Frankenstein as a modern day Adam who took a bite of the forbidden apple and fell. He is not a god, he failed, because his monster is not human even though he mirrors humanity in the barest essence. Frankenstein shows that humans are constantly trying to reach the level of god because we took a bite of the apple of knowledge, and Frankenstein mirrored Adams fall from Eden because he scorned the gods by trying to transcend humanity... or something... I'm sorry if I'm wrong, I'm confused and I just wrote an essay on it and i think it may be wrong now.
    And I know that mainly Frankenstein is Prometheus, but is it possible (since there are multiple layers of symbolism) that Frankenstein could resemble Adam?
    Sorry if I'm doing this wrong... I'm new....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by silver13 View Post
    I know that Frankenstein resembles a god, or more closely, Prometheus; and that the monster can resemble Adam, or Satan... but doesn't Frankenstein resemble Adam? He is human, no matter how hard he tries to play god, and he lives in a sort of privileged Eden of his own, where he is nurtured and encouraged by his family. He is devoted to science, which he thinks is great for mankind, but then there's the apple: Science gone too far, or science mixed with magic. Humans aren't meant to mess with God territory, but Frankenstein can't resist taking a bite of the forbidden apple and transcends from a human to a god. After he bites the apple, or creates the monster, he falls from Eden because his life pretty much becomes miserable from then on. Only humans view him as a fallen god, because he created life, but he is still human regardless of what he did, so he resembles Adam in that he was a human who couldn't resist the knowledge of true gods, and it ruined him. Or am I completely wrong? Because when I think about it I see Frankenstein as a modern day Adam who took a bite of the forbidden apple and fell. He is not a god, he failed, because his monster is not human even though he mirrors humanity in the barest essence. Frankenstein shows that humans are constantly trying to reach the level of god because we took a bite of the apple of knowledge, and Frankenstein mirrored Adams fall from Eden because he scorned the gods by trying to transcend humanity... or something... I'm sorry if I'm wrong, I'm confused and I just wrote an essay on it and i think it may be wrong now.
    And I know that mainly Frankenstein is Prometheus, but is it possible (since there are multiple layers of symbolism) that Frankenstein could resemble Adam?
    Sorry if I'm doing this wrong... I'm new....
    You seem to be right. It sounds reasonable but do you have any fragments from the novel for your thesis?