Thread: William

Blog Entries

William

Lady Agatha fumed quietly to herself as she leaned, with diminishing patience, against her estate’s boundary wall. She did not lean as one would casually lean, with one’s feet firmly on the ground. She leaned, perched precariously on top of a penny-farthing. It was modified to her own design in order to facilitate the rider sitting side-saddle. Whilst waiting for the footman to finish erecting the folding steps which would enable her to dismount with a modicum of both safety and propriety, she reflected that her experiment had not been entirely successful.

Despite the addition of stabilising wheels, the shift in the centre of gravity had proved quite detrimental to the operational efficiency of the device. Balance had proved to be problematical, for it was necessary to pedal a crankshaft with both feet on one side. Thus, motive power was transferred to the drive wheel via a weighty, lop-sided gearbox. The required counterweight added almost insurmountable inertia when pulling away, which was inconvenient. It was downright dangerous when in motion. When travelling downhill, a brick wall was about the only thing capable of stopping it.

Steering had also proved to be an issue. It required that the handlebars be positioned to align the wheel at a slight angle just to be able to go in a straight line. The application of the necessary trim contributed to massive oversteer when turning in one direction and a subversive understeer in the other.

There was another problem she had not foreseen before attempting to ride the perilous contraption for the first time. The riding crop, dangling from her right wrist by a leather strap, tended to rub against the spokes of the front wheel. Whilst this made a pleasing sort of whirring sound as each spoke impacted with the end of the implement, it would occasionally get caught, violently pulling her hand away from the handlebars, which did nothing to aid her in the eternal battle with directional control.

With the steps finally in place she extended a booted foot and climbed down with as much glacial dignity as she could muster. When both feet had finally re-established their customary relationship with terra firma, she suddenly became aware that she was being watched. She turned to look across the road at a hedge and her Arctic blue eyes espied the face of a grubby looking urchin through the veil which depended from her top hat. The child’s gaze was disconcertingly intense and the delighted smile which played around his smeared mouth was positively unnerving.

“You, there! Yes, you, boy! What d’you think you’re looking at,” she barked at the fascinated infant.

“I don’t know, your ladyship, I’ve never seen one before,” the child responded.

Lady Agatha had to admit that this was not an unintelligent reply. She was fairly certain no one had, and if she had her way, no one would, ever again. She gave a wry smile and continued her interrogation of the suspect in a kindlier tone of voice.

“What’s y’r name, boy?”

“William, your ladyship.”

“And who’re y’r people?”

“My people, your ladyship?”

“What’s y’r surname, boy?

“Oh, it’s Heath-Robinson, your ladyship.”

“Don’t know ‘em,” said Lady Agatha. “You’re not a local, that’s for sure. How old are you, William, and what’re you doin’ here?”

“I’m six and a quarter and I’m on holiday with mum and dad. We’re from London. That’s where we live.”

“Probably just as well,” replied Lady Agatha with a crooked smile. She reached into the pocket of her jacket and tossed a sixpence, which William caught deftly with dirty hands. "Let this be a lesson to you, William. It always pays to think an idea through,” and with that she turned on her heel and walked through the gateway into her estate.

She heard the boy’s thanks shouted after her, but gave him not a second thought.

She had absolutely no idea what she’d done.

(for the benefit of those who don't understand... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Heath_Robinson )
    Last edited by Hawkman; 03-28-2013 at 02:45 PM.

She knew about the failure before application. But avoiding William as a witness was worth the sixpence and absolute forgetfulness. Very good.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Loved it.
    At first the title had me thinking of the “Just William’ books by Richard Compton that I read as a child.
    Then all kinds of thoughts were stirred.
    A touch of Evelyn Waugh in the style?
    The aviator/mechanics love of; trim, leverage centers of gravity and all that “Top Gear” stuff!
    Then Ah Ha; Heath Robinson the child!!

Blog Entries
    cafolini: well I'm not entirely convinced that you've entirely understood this little tale, but that doesn't really matter, so long as you still enjoyed it. Thanks for reading

MAN: I was sure you wouldn't let me down Speaking personally, as someone with a rather broad and ecclectic general knowledge, as well as growing longer in the tooth by the minute, I have a terrible habit of expecting people to know what I know and consequently get the joke - lol. I ran this past my sister in the expectation that she'd get it straight away. Horror of horrors, she didn't know who Heath-Robinson was, nor did she associate Heath-Robinson with the term with a complicated and unlikely machine! Well, I've learned my lesson, hence the link at the bottom of the page.

Evelyn Waugh? Well, I'm very flattered! It's true, I am a fan of Waugh, but I haven't read him for years. That particular era does hold considerable resonance for me though, and those great English Authors who were writing contemporaneously, undoubtedly influenced my use of language and writing style in general. Not that I can't switch genres and style, depending on historical setting and subject. My more modern influences would have to be Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett.

Many thanks for reading.

Live and be well - H

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    cafolini: well I'm not entirely convinced that you've entirely understood this little tale, but that doesn't really matter, so long as you still enjoyed it. Thanks for reading

MAN: I was sure you wouldn't let me down Speaking personally, as someone with a rather broad and ecclectic general knowledge, as well as growing longer in the tooth by the minute, I have a terrible habit of expecting people to know what I know and consequently get the joke - lol. I ran this past my sister in the expectation that she'd get it straight away. Horror of horrors, she didn't know who Heath-Robinson was, nor did she associate Heath-Robinson with the term with a complicated and unlikely machine! Well, I've learned my lesson, hence the link at the bottom of the page.

Evelyn Waugh? Well, I'm very flattered! It's true, I am a fan of Waugh, but I haven't read him for years. That particular era does hold considerable resonance for me though, and those great English Authors who were writing contemporaneously, undoubtedly influenced my use of language and writing style in general. Not that I can't switch genres and style, depending on historical setting and subject. My more modern influences would have to be Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett.

Many thanks for reading.

Live and be well - H
    Well, yes, I only understood the context. Knew nothing about the "joke." The context, though, is always more important to the writer because it's independent of the total knowledge of the author. Otherwise you'll have to depend on people also knowing the source as much as the author. Thanks for the link and the explanation and the references. The story is very well written and as I think it should be, it stands on its own. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    [B] Speaking personally, as someone with a rather broad and ecclectic general knowledge, as well as growing longer in the tooth by the minute, I have a terrible habit of expecting people to know what I know and consequently get the joke - lol. I ran this past my sister in the expectation that she'd get it straight away. Horror of horrors, she didn't know who Heath-Robinson was, nor did she associate Heath-Robinson with the term with a complicated and unlikely machine! Well, I've learned my lesson, hence the link at the bottom of the page.

Many thanks for reading.

Live and be well - H
    Many thanks for the link because I also didn't know about Heath Robinson. Fortunately I know enough of your sense of your humor to enjoy the story. To your credit it must be said that the story stands on its own, though the link solved the riddle of the little boy's name. A clever idea indeed!
    I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. ~ William Blake

Captivity is consciousness,
    So's liberty. ~ Emily Dickinson

Blog Entries
    Thanks again cafolini. Glad you think so

Ripley! Thanks for dropping by delighted that you enjoyed this little tale. Always a pleasure to hear from you. Glad you found the notes beneficial too

Live long and prosper - H
    Last edited by Hawkman; 03-30-2013 at 04:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    I didn't know about Robinson either, but I DID enjoy the style and care with which this was written. It's not everyday a person's name is privileged enough to slip into language.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    Yes, your writing style, while as-yet not masterful, is well on its way to achieving that honored description.

On the other hand, the content strikes yours fooly as a little flat. (Which is what I am, but that's a different story.) My latest kick on the LitNet is harping about "unfamiliarity," and how we as writers should try to look at our chosen subject with fresh eyes, in short making the familiar seem "unfamiliar" and thus "new."

I wonder though if the topic for this particular piece is so unfamiliar as to be arcane. The plot seems somewhat slight, although with a long stretch of the imagination, a reader might see the larger statement about Life: that our confidence in our ideas and inventions "gang aft aglee" (or however Burns put it.)

Still, the title character's appearance is far too brief and sketchy to make an emotional impact.

Nevertheless, I always enjoy reading everything you post on this site,including this piece.

Auntie

Blog Entries
    Hello Steven. Yes, to be permanently immortalized by having one’s name become synonymous with something is an honour few attain, although Mrs. Malaprop probably wouldn’t appreciate it. However, it seems that most cultures are capable incorporating a genius of perpetration into their languages. Thanks for reading

Auntie: Sorry to hear that you are flat. Doubtless this is a result of frequenting the bottoms of mineshafts or foolishly walking under hoisted pianos. Yes, sadly I am not yet a master. The evidence is there for all to see, especially in my initial reply post in this thread. It is replete with typographical and grammatical mistakes. Note that I use the word mistake, not error. According to contemporary teaching theory, mistakes are those errors which the perpetrator recognises and can correct, whereas errors are mistakes which are made because the person making them doesn’t know any better. I would have corrected mine, but since the reply has been quoted, any amendment to the original post won’t show up in the quote; I’m not quite sure why this is, but if the original mistakes are fossilized in the quote there doesn’t seem to be much point in correcting them! I must take greater care with every post in future.

I grant that if the reader doesn’t get the joke, or if he/she does, just doesn’t find it funny, then the piece does fall rather flat. The germs of humour falling on stony ground fail to germinate. I am also cognisant that if one doesn’t find it funny, then the rather abrupt ending would seem to deviate from the rich flow which precedes it. For me though, spelling out the consequences of the incident, even if I indulged in rich and worthy prose in so doing, would have killed the punch line, not that I’m entirely happy with it. The final line could definitely have been worded better.

Anyway, thanks for reading

Live and be well - H
    Last edited by Hawkman; 04-02-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    Yes, sadly I am not yet a master.

Yet I said that you are well on your way to getting there. Certainly closer to that distinction than yours fooly.

And about the content, once again, yours fooly might have gotten* the joke if she'd been a Brit rather than a Yank (though I cringe to use that latter term, synonymous with a team I'd rather not mention.) Over here we're (at least those of us who are old enough) more likely to recognize a reference to Rube Goldberg rather than to W. Heath-Robinson. It was me own ignorance.

Your story is an imaginative speculation about how young William got his start. Maybe you could expand the focus and show us his inventive mind at work.

Again, I read and enjoy every word you post.

Edited 4/4/13
    I've recently read that this form of the past perfect tense is more widely used in the U.S. than the U.K., and I've always said "gotten" rather than "got."
    I'm still ignorant of things British, and apparently, American.

Did you know that there are two kinds of ignorance: "vincible"and "invincible"? I sincerely hope that the variety from which yours fooly suffers is the former and not the latter.
    Last edited by AuntShecky; 04-04-2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: got the"got" and "gotten" in reverse!

Blog Entries
    I say, Auntie, I do hope you didn’t think I was having a go at you. I’m afraid my reply was just me being me, with my mind running on tangents and making obscure connections. It is a simple statement of fact that I’m not a writing “master” and a free admission that I’m not above making mistakes, always embarrassing when criticising others

As for the mention of your frequenting the bottoms of mineshafts and walking under pianos – well, this was my alluding to the old joke: “What note do you get if you drop a piano down a mineshaft? A flat minor!” I’m afraid this was triggered by your saying you were feeling flat. A case of wit with too fine a point, perhaps. The same might be said of the piece in general, although I did include the link to explain it.

I also took a little liberty with Heath Robinson’s name by hyphenating it. This was purely to make the supposed joke read more naturally. Heath Robinson is nearly always referred to as just ‘Heath Robinson’ and Heath is such an unlikely forename that the “reveal” just wouldn’t have worked if the boy had said his name was William Heath.

I‘m slightly bemused by your revelation about discovering that “gotten” is more commonly used on this side of the pond. I’ve always associated it with American usage, although some Northern dialects are more likely to employ it than those of the South. I don’t object to it, personally. As for vincible and invincible, well – we live and learn – lol.

Anyway, I’m delighted that you are motivated to read everything I write. Most gratifying. I trust you will always feel free to comment in any way you like.

Live and be well - H
    Last edited by Hawkman; 04-03-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: missing word

Blog Entries
    Hawk, I got all my "gots" and "gottens" confused! (Fixed in the orign. reply.)

The adjective "flat" -- in the case of yours fooly -- applies less to me feelings than to me coffers, and, I regret to say, my physique.