Thread: Modern contrast to pride and prejudice!

Lightbulb Modern contrast to pride and prejudice!

Hi everyone,

I'm currently doing a project where i'm studying changing attitudes to romance over time and how this is reflected in literature - I'm looking to compare 'Pride and prejudice' with a contemporary romance. Only problem is, I can't find the right modern romance to contrast it with!

Preferably, it should be written by a woman, have some kind of literary merit, have some themes in common with P&P and most importantly give me lots to talk about in terms of changing romantic etiquette - for example, a woman with a job, actively dating, premarital sex, etc, would all be points to contrast with the more conservative society of Austen's time.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas? would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
    Esther

Bridget Jones' Diary maybe?
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

I second that! The author of that novel admitted she wrote the character Mark Darcy with Colin Firth in mind (hence wh he was cast for the film).
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

I third it, LOL. I just can't think of any others. Of course, it is an acknowledged interpretaion of Pride and Prejudice so I don't know if it counts, but it shows how well Austen's themes adapt themselves to the contemporary dating scene.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.