Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: gender through literary matters

The Ghost of Laszlo Jamf islandclimber's Avatar
    Maybe all writers could wander far down the path of transvestism (or for the truly committed, transgenderism) so as to satisfy Cacian's authorial gender requirements, though I fear this would lead to much confusion...

I'm with Hill here. Responding to Cacian's questions is certainly akin to banging one's head against a brick wall.
    Last edited by islandclimber; 03-14-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandclimber View Post
    Maybe all writers could wander far down the path of transvestism (or for the truly committed, transgenderism) so as to satisfy Cacian's authorial gender requirements, though I fear this would lead to much confusion...

I'm with Hill here. Responding to Cacian's questions is certainly akin to banging one's head against a brick wall.
    I agree with both of the above on this. The question itself is open to too much interpretation to form a comprehensive answer.

Quote Originally Posted by islandclimber View Post

Goodness mean no. LOL
    I am only speculating. About men writers writing up male characters as if they have just walked out of a shabby miserable reality is not the kind of visual writing I am talking about. I am talking about writing our genders first in a different light. Consider this: I am a female writer and my MC is a female character and she will be written to do /act /say things that I would do in reality. I would only write her to execute what I would do and nothing else bit it has to be a polished reality otherwise there is no point in writing.
    My female character would not for example kill because I in reality would not do it.
    Then I would side her besides other characters of the opposite sex and make her act/appear/say/do things I would do in reality.
    So to sum up I would not write up my MC to be the opposite of me but the same as me if and when given the chances to show up for the good.
    In other words my female MCs will get to do and say all the things I wish to do and realise in real life. What I cannot have do say in my real life I will make my MCs characters do. In other words my characters live the dream for me. All the dreams I have that I may not achieve in real life they will be achieved in my stories.
    I call it a kind of an achievement where whilst I am unable to achieve in the near future my stories will achieve it for me before I get there.

Writing is a discipline. One must learn to adapt to what is the norm and write about it as if it was.
    I take from reality and then I twist it to become the non reality with a perfect measure that suits all.
    It is not about how l live my life it is about how about how I want it lived. Discipline is about control let's exercise through writing.
    Last edited by cacian; 03-15-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    No offense intended, but if you have a concrete philosophy already in all of this, why pose it as a question in the first place? It just seems that all of our responses to the original thread are pointless because you have a set view on how you should go about writing your own gender and the opposite. If it's for the sake of some agreement, I see the logic behind expressing your unfulfilled dreams and aspirations in imaginary characters.
    "We sat around, scratching the earth with our feet, half looking up for a sign of the end. And all the while it had long since come and gone." Alexi Murdoch

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman_Raman View Post
    No offense intended, but if you have a concrete philosophy already in all of this, why pose it as a question in the first place? It just seems that all of our responses to the original thread are pointless because you have a set view on how you should go about writing your own gender and the opposite. If it's for the sake of some agreement, I see the logic behind expressing your unfulfilled dreams and aspirations in imaginary characters.
    I ask questions because I feel they need to be asked.
    Whatever answers maybe are for the good of reading.
    The idea is to communicate with standing orders of different varieties and soupcon. For example I never know what my speculations answers are going to be untill I ask or pause a question. I do not come prepared with answers because I have the question. I cannot be doing both.
    Last edited by cacian; 03-15-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    Cacian I think part of the issue is that you're not articulate when you write. I wondered if you were:
    A) ESL
    B) dyslexic
    C) semi-illiterate

A lot of what you write simply comes across as mumbo jumbo and it can be difficult to follow someone's line of thought if they are not making themselves clear.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post
    Cacian I think part of the issue is that you're not articulate when you write. I wondered if you were:
    A) ESL
    B) dyslexic
    C) semi-illiterate

A lot of what you write simply comes across as mumbo jumbo and it can be difficult to follow someone's line of thought if they are not making themselves clear.
    It is a co mbination of a lot of things. I must write in short sentences. It is better. I think more then I can write and that is why in a lot of places I come across as that.
    The other thing is I can't stand the keyboard LOL it does not like me. I have tried learning to type and it just does not work. LOL
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Cacian, you pose the question here without thinking about it first; then, once others respond you finally get around to thinking about how you would answer it? That seems rather illogical. You don't seem to care about answers to your questions, it's as though you have some agenda to get across this very deterministic ars poetica you possess fiercely. You certainly seem to see art as black or white, no middle ground, absolutes are necessary. There's this strange bipolarity to your thinking.

You write above about how one can either write characters identical to oneself, or the opposite of oneself. That's incredibly myopic. Good characters often resides in the gray areas between, not the opposite, not the same, but an amalgam of diverse peoples one has encountered or imagined throughout life.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post
    A) ESL
    B) dyslexic
    C) semi-illiterate

Mumbo Jumbo, a brilliant novel. I've always thought the Wolfster should read Ishmael Reed so as to see how his style of writing can be done well.

Cacian, you might want to read something by I.R. as well. Broaden your literary horizons. Dip into something not quite so safe and bright. The Freelance Pallbearers perhaps...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123