Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: what is misogyny?

Question what is misogyny?

I am not sure I have ever come cross one and so wondered whether it does actually exist.
    Is it a phobia rather then a hatred?
    The other thing I was thinking is what is its equivalent for men?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Misandry, but I think it's fairly rare. Misogyny, on the other hand, is not at all rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaza View Post
    Misandry, but I think it's fairly rare. Misogyny, on the other hand, is not at all rare.
    Hey thank you Zaza
    It is Interesting. I wonder why misogyny is more popular then misandry.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaza View Post
    Misandry, but I think it's fairly rare.
    I don't know, I consider myself a feminist - but more than a few times I've been told by female commentators that I'm not allowed to be one simply because I'm a man. Though, to be fair, I think they are very much in the minority.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    I don't know, I consider myself a feminist - but more than a few times I've been told by female commentators that I'm not allowed to be one simply because I'm a man. Though, to be fair, I think they are very much in the minority.
    Hi Lokasenna that is an interesting comment. Did she explain why you were not allowed to be a feminist?
    I still think feelings of dislikes towards the opposite sex just because of their gender does not make much sense.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Misogyny is just another form of bigotry, like prejudice against different races, or homophobia. They all have the same root--weak people who need to be somehow "superior" to others using any difference as an excuse.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Blog Entries
    misos = Greek for hatred. Guné (not sure how else to represent an eta in Latin characters) = woman. So it literally means hatred of women.

Misandry is hatred of men (and no, it is not rare - maybe less prevalent on paper)

Misanthropy is hatred of people in general.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

The Lil' Rascals codified it with their "He-Man Woman-Haters Club."
    Uhhhh...

Indeed however the next question that comes to mind is the following:
    Is mysogyny a hatred/phobia from men to women only? or women to women too? Does it include both genders to dislike women?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

I'm no expert, but I don't see why not. I mean, if Loka can be a feminist, I suppose a woman has every right to be a misogynist.
    Uhhhh...

It's the fact that in some age brackets there are 130 males to 100 females in China simply because of infanticide. Whether or not a man says something that can be interpreted as a bit sexist in North America is rarely even mentionable in the grand scheme of the world. Most North American Women do not even know what misogyny truly is. How many people are greeted with an kill it, it's a girl, when they are born in North America?

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    It's the fact that in some age brackets there are 130 males to 100 females in China simply because of infanticide. Whether or not a man says something that can be interpreted as a bit sexist in North America is rarely even mentionable in the grand scheme of the world. Most North American Women do not even know what misogyny truly is. How many people are greeted with an kill it, it's a girl, when they are born in North America?
    I think taking only the extreme example of misogyny as a definition is misleading in the extreme. Unless you take misogony to be the active hatred of women, ad by that I mean that you openly acknowledge you hate and truthfully I do think that is rare.

Misogyny is more ( I think) devaluing of women comparatively to men. And it comes across in a whole ream of ways that are more subtle than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    misos = Greek for hatred. Guné (not sure how else to represent an eta in Latin characters) = woman. So it literally means hatred of women.

Misandry is hatred of men (and no, it is not rare - maybe less prevalent on paper)
    I don't suppose we know who coined the word and its original usage? And I agree with you misandry is not very rare at all I think it just goes against the popular (patriarchal) narrative that society tells which is "Poor helpless women oppressed (and hated) by men and there is very little they do about it" but if women start hating men then there is more grey to the story right?

Anyway from personal experience I say Patriarchal society, views and values breed misogyny which in turn breed misandry and everyone hates everyone and noone is happy.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    There is this same believes or attitudes towards girls in India too. In Bangladesh it is certainly very present.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    I'm no expert, but I don't see why not. I mean, if Loka can be a feminist, I suppose a woman has every right to be a misogynist.
    One does every so often meet women who think that men are their rightful masters, and they are happy to spend their lives in the kitchen and the birthing-bed. Fortunately, they do seem to be a very tiny minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacian
    Hi Lokasenna that is an interesting comment. Did she explain why you were not allowed to be a feminist?
    I still think feelings of dislikes towards the opposite sex just because of their gender does not make much sense.
    The implication seemed to be that, just because I happen to have a penis, I am incapable of fully empathising with or understanding centuries of cultural oppression and domestic servitude. Alas, to some of the more rabid fringe, any man is the enemy.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    I agree that there has been centuries of oppression and domestic servitude imposed on women. But not through mysogeny, more through a held view that they were the weaker sex, and needed protecting and shielding from the uncouth world of men and for reasons of practicality - they bore and suckled the kids, so they might as well stay at home to do it, untill they either died in childbirth or reared all twelve of them.

Nowadays I think women are gaining the upper hand in society, and would be right on top but for the annoying fact of childbirth and the way it disrupts careers.
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 03-03-2013 at 06:57 AM.
    ay up

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast