Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Christopher Marlowe and Dr Faustus lovers!!

Beats me.

"shall Wittenberg be sacked"

This makes me wonder though about Marlowe's relative renownless vis-a-vis Shakespeare.

Blog Entries
    Marlowe's done pretty well for a man who only wrote 7 plays and an incomplete heroic poem, and who was murdered at 29.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

and idolized by Shakespeare.

Blog Entries
    Interesting review about "Doctor Faustaus" performed recently at Yorkshire Playhouse:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2013...rlowe-makeover

I don't know very much about Marlowe - since I've just read Doctor Faustus - so I can't tell if his "ideology" was rooted in Calvinism. But I have to say I don't believe he was supposing "predestination" to be the main topic, since I got the impression Faustus had the chance to convert till last. Maybe Faustus himself could have a calvinist view of salvation, but I think Marlowe was pointing to show the possibility of regretting thus saving one's soul. If he wanted to illustrate predestination then what would have been the point of having two angels conflicting over Faustus, for example?

Blog Entries
    I think that the calvinist conception in "Faustus" is a contemporary interpretation which doesn`t have much in common with the author`s idea.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hannah_arendt View Post
    I think that the calvinist conception in "Faustus" is a contemporary interpretation which doesn`t have much in common with the author`s idea.
    Or with the play itself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    Or with the play itself.
    Very often , critics create completely new works whicj differ from the basic play, poem or novel.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    Blog Entries
    Very often , critics create completely new works whicj differ from the basic play, poem or novel.
    It is good that people are so imaginative that they can dream up new meanings for old works. I should mock them too much, because I enjoy the sport of interpreting literature also.

Blog Entries
    I agree that literature should remain opened. I think that the meaning is something endless and nobody should impose on the reader how should he/ she understand, interpret the work.
    I remember hearing, at school and university, that an author wanted to express something and the teacher told us then what was it. I have no recollection of being asked: What do you think about it?

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    Blog Entries
    I agree that literature should remain opened. I think that the meaning is something endless and nobody should impose on the reader how should he/ she understand, interpret the work.
    I remember hearing, at school and university, that an author wanted to express something and the teacher told us then what was it. I have no recollection of being asked: What do you think about it?
    I recall use of the Socratic method. I was asked what I thought it meant frequently, and I still interpret literature, but there are reasonable limits. I found Umberto Eco's thoughts on interpretation very useful. See "Interpretation and Overinterpretation" and "The limits of Interpretation"
    http://www.umbertoeco.com/en/
    There used to be brief summaries of his books, but the site has been changed.

http://www.amazon.com/Limits-Interpr.../dp/0253208696

I agree with Eco on interpretation. There are works that can and should be interpreted broadly, but there are other works that point toward a single interpretation. Imposing one's opinions on a work is a pointless game; one would be better off writing something new.

Blog Entries
    We had to read Eco during a course in theory of literature.

Sometimes it is very difficult t create a braad interpretation but not to add something non- existent. Recently I have nitoced that as well readers as critics try to see sex/ gay/lesb/ political elements everywhere.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    Blog Entries
    We had to read Eco during a course in theory of literature.

Sometimes it is very difficult t create a braad interpretation but not to add something non- existent. Recently I have nitoced that as well readers as critics try to see sex/ gay/lesb/ political elements everywhere.
    I have seen the same, and I find much of it amusing. On the other hand, there are themes are are common in literature, so common that authors sometimes don't even notice that they inserted one.

Blog Entries
    Once, during my soiree, I was shocked when I heard ideas of my readers about my works. However it is as well interesting as amusing

On the other hand, my husband has been recently shoked, even afraid after reading fragments of my prose. Then, I decided to change the whole conception a little.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    Blog Entries
    Once, during my soiree, I was shocked when I heard ideas of my readers about my works. However it is as well interesting as amusing

On the other hand, my husband has been recently shoked, even afraid after reading fragments of my prose. Then, I decided to change the whole conception a little.
    Did it make you change your writing? Or what you were trying to express?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast