it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Something's gotta give PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
    The responses to the 'poem' are more revealing than the poem itself.

Not so much John Cage's 4' 33" of silence as the 'Emperor's New Clothes'. Sorry, Prince, but your efforts seem to have uncovered a pseud or two when it comes to literary criticism regardless of what inspired you to write this in the first place.

'So simple, and yet so meaningful' - I'm still chuckling at the absurdity of this reading.

H
    Any of us who have exposed our poems (or as you seem to prefer, 'poems') to public scrutiny have experienced how widely disparate the readings can be, and to what extent these readings may be motivated by what the commentator needs to see,
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world." Gandhi

Agreed, Prince. My snarkiness was not aimed at your poem (quotes removed) but at the pretentiousness of those who claim to see what is not there.

On one level the poet is playing with the reader here - on another he is maybe exploring the act of committing thoughts to paper. But to have someone gush in such sycophantic fashion makes one wonder whether the same response would apply had this poem been posted by a newbie.

H

Blog Entries

Hillwalker

Although I was bothered by your use of ironic quotes in discussing my post, it was not that that I was objectin to but one that preceded it.

Sorry, Jerry

Blog Entries
    You have a thin skin, Prince. My post was neither snide nor sneering. I gave a one-sentence critique of your "poem." You should welcome one-sentence criticisms, since your poem was not even a complete sentence.
    Dostoevsky gives me more than any scientist.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jassy Melson View Post
    You have a thin skin, Prince. My post was neither snide nor sneering. I gave a one-sentence critique of your "poem." You should welcome one-sentence criticisms, since your poem was not even a complete sentence.
    Apropos your earlier "An excellent example of self-indulgence," perhaps "snide or sneering" weren't the right words; "patronizing" or "sarcastic" might have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceMyshkin View Post
    ...to every dedicated poet a blank sheet of paper is a poem in something like invisible ink. It's there; it taunts you - even after it has firmly refused to emerge.
    NOW, you're writing poetry!

blank sheet
    invisible ink
    it's there
    taunting
    refusing to
    emerge

Your first post, "Poem", only told me that the poet had a major writer's block going on that left me (and him) completely void of inspiration, enjoyment, and reason to think. This 6-line poem here still says "writer's block" to me but at least it's got some creative thinking behind it instead of a cop-out (just my green opinion as i'm new here). I like minimalism but not when it offers a completely blank canvas...and that's been done before. I do applaud your boundless faith in the reader to fill in the blanks and come up with your thoughts for this "poem" on their own.
    Last edited by Melanie; 06-03-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    Live in the sunshine. Swim in the sea. Drink the wild air ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

Melanie

You may be a "newbie." and I disagree with a couple of things you wrote, but at least you have opinions that are the product of thought rather than favuritism or animos. Welcome to the site.

I disagree with the implication that there is one 24 carat definition of what "poetry" is. What you or anyone means who rules on whether a thing is a poem or not is This is not the sort of poetry I like.

And I wasn't knowingly experiencing "writer's block" when I wrote that. Rather, I had the delicious feeling that it was there but had not chosen to reveal itself yet

Blog Entries
    Blimey very nearly a Prince/Hill spat and just as I take my seat ringside you both come over all gentlemanly and shake hands. GODDAMMIT

For those who believe,
    no explanation is necessary.
    For those who do not,
    none will suffice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrybaldy View Post
    Blimey very nearly a Prince/Hill spat and just as I take my seat ringside you both come over all gentlemanly and shake hands. GODDAMMIT
    Speaking only for myself, I hereby vow to take the opposite position of however Hillwalker responds to your next poem.

Blog Entries
    That's the spirit!

For those who believe,
    no explanation is necessary.
    For those who do not,
    none will suffice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrybaldy View Post
    That's the spirit!
    You take that back, you Son of a Brit!

Blog Entries
    My personal reaction to this is that I don't consider it to be a poem at all. This one just seems to me like pointless word-play, less interesting than writing P.T.O. on each side of a piece of paper. But some people wax effusively over it. Well, if they like it, good for them. Some people like 'blank' verse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silas Thorne View Post
    My personal reaction to this is that I don't consider it to be a poem at all. This one just seems to me like pointless word-play, less interesting than writing P.T.O. on each side of a piece of paper. But some people wax effusively over it. Well, if they like it, good for them. Some people like 'blank' verse.

Bear in mind that all the onlookers save one saw the emperor in his fine new clothes. The one exception was a child who saw that he was naked - but they ALL saw the emperor!

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Prince, I just got my decoder ring in the mail...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdA__2tKoIU
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast