Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fancy a burger?

Blog Entries

Fancy a burger?

A bit of scandal is devloping over here in the UK. Burgers and Lasagnas produced by a number of large supermarket chains and producers have been found to contain horsemeat. 60-100% in some cases.

This might be the wake up call for people who are happy to buy food that they really don't know anything about. We've all eaten processed food, but it seems to me that if you eat meat, then you are much more vulnerable to this kind of exploitation. That phrase you see on packaging - 100% beef - usually means exactly what it says - 100% of the beast - not the prime cuts but the fat, gristle and connective tissue is processed into something edible.

And now any kind of meat will do. There has been pork and horse found in beef burgers, and ready meals. From one perspective you could say - what does it matter? It's been processed into something unrecogniseable without a DNA test. As a veggie I see essentially no difference, and as a carnivore in the past, I don't think I would have been bothered so long as it tasted ok.

I suppose what's really at stake is the illusion of what it claims to be. I've worked in the meat industry and realised then that the meat in your pie and burger would not be the stuff you buy in the butcher's shop. I don't think many people really think about it. Perhaps they don't want to. Maybe now they will.

What do you think?

Blog Entries
    I'm not really bothered to be honest, as long as it's not human meat and tastes alright, it's all the same to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Volya View Post
    I'm not really bothered to be honest, as long as it's not human meat and tastes alright, it's all the same to me.
    What have you got against human meat?

Blog Entries
    From what I'm aware, cannibalism can cause health problems, and is generally frowned upon by society.

Blog Entries

I jest me old mate.

Blog Entries
    I don't eat meat but what bugs me is that I think people should know what they eat, be it horse meat or beef. I have to admit though that I don't follow the news in the UK that well, I mainly get my knowledge from shows like 8 out of 10 cats or some comedy act.. So I'm not a reliable source.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Quote Originally Posted by Helga View Post
    , I mainly get my knowledge from shows like 8 out of 10 cats or some comedy act.. So I'm not a reliable source.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    Part of the problem must be that if the product isn't what it's supposed to be - how can we know the origin or the condition of the product. For me this situation brings back memories of the BSE debacle some years ago. I also get annoyed at people/politicians/media calling it 'contamination' when it seems to me that it's clearly fraud on a massive scale, and fraud that could put the health of many at risk. Vegitarianism never looked so appealing.
    Last edited by Michael T; 02-09-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    I’m reminded of the legendary Jack in the Box kangaroo meat incident back in the early ‘90s…it had folks around here hopping mad!

As for horse meat in burgers, I’ll simply add that it… behoofs you to know what you’re eating.

Applause - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUxCCFfFIEw

Thank you, thank you.
    I’m here Friday’s and Saturday’s till ten.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Processed food. That is the end result. No one knows what goes behind those factories door. To be fair processed is a big nono I don't eat and never will.
    I mean who knows macdonalds/burgerkings could be doing the same. What goes in those burgers I dread to think.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    Processed food. That is the end result. No one knows what goes behind those factories door. To be fair processed is a big nono I don't eat and never will.
    I mean who knows macdonalds/burgerkings could be doing the same. What goes in those burgers I dread to think.
    That's the problem. People have stopped thinking and are somehow shocked that it's not really the beef/ pork/ lamb they pictured. Processed means made edible - why else would you need to process it?

I've never been under the illusion that what I'm eating is really what it's advertised as, not 100 per cent anyway.

I'm also okay with this. There are other things that plague my mind far more, like why is it so frowned upon that I as a man would like to enjoy lace underwear? It's just material, right? Anyway.
    Vladimir: (sententious.) To every man his little cross. (He sighs.) Till he dies. (Afterthought.) And is forgotten.

Meh. If it still tastes good... As for horse, meh, some people eat it regularly. People should just be open minded. They are buying processed garbage anyway, what did they expect, prime cuts? Better horse than cardboard.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No! No! No! I couldn't bear it. The food industry is really evil, I think. They don't mind taking our good money, but they can't be bothered to do it right. Well, can anybody, these days?

I mean, I know if I get a hamburger at MacDonald's it's got soy in it, which while annoying is at least acceptable. I'm kind of fond of Burger King, although I haven't eaten there in ages. Lately I've liked In and Out or, my personal favorite, the Mooyah burger, which is supposed to be 100% pure ground beef, or so they say, anyway. This post makes it seem like I eat a lot of burgers, which is not actually the case. I do eat about one or two a month. I also eat chicken nuggets which I don't think are much better for you.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Blog Entries
    I generally eat meat from the butcher, or my own lamb, or my neighbours pig. However processed meat and offal and all those bits and pieces are so tastey! Spam, corned beef, chicken nuggets, Findus Lasagne - all delicious. High salt and hight fat and plenty of monosodium glocowhatsit makes for flavour.

That said the horse meat thing is clearly fraud.
    ay up

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast