Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should Rhyming Poets Be Castrated?

Blog Entries

Exclamation Should Rhyming Poets Be Castrated?

Should Rhyming Poets Be Castrated?
    A fair & balanced essay by Wolf Larsen

Poetry that rhymes sounds like nails on blackboard, no?
    Poetry that rhymes is the ultimate act of sadistic torture, and something needs to be done about it!
    So what exactly should we do about poetry that rhymes?
    And what should we do about people that say, "technically that's not an essay?"
    And what should we do about politicians that promise to change things, and then don't change anything at all!
    And what should we do about dogs that bark all night long and keep us awake?
    Clearly, the answer is NOT castration. The answer is to EAT them! After all, dog is delicious!
    So, instead of castrating poets that rhyme I advocate that we eat them.
    You say that eating human flesh is abominable? But there is nothing more abominable than poetry that rhymes! Making a stew or a steak or a hamburger out of poets that rhyme is clearly the civilized thing to do! Between cannibalism and poetry that rhymes clearly cannibalism is the lesser evil.
    "...the ramblings of a narcissistic, self-obsessed, deranged mind."
    My poetry, plays, novels, & other stuff on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr...or=Wolf Larsen

Rhyming poets are not doing anything unwanted. Rhyming is a great skill no doubt yet all I feel is no rhymes must come in the way when one comes up with beautiful thoughts and rhymes often become technological issues and the writer cannot comply with this standard.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Rap Poetry Is the Only Decent Contemporary Poetry That Rhymes!

Quote Originally Posted by osho View Post
    Rhyming poets are not doing anything unwanted. Rhyming is a great skill no doubt yet all I feel is no rhymes must come in the way when one comes up with beautiful thoughts and rhymes often become technological issues and the writer cannot comply with this standard.
    The only exception I would make regarding the rhyme in poetry is much of the great rap poetry that one finds in contemporary literature. One only need visit some African-American literary sites to see some excellent examples of rap poetry.

However, rhyming poetry written by white people sucks! It just sounds so stale! It's like they're kissing the asses of the "greats" of the past, instead of coming up with something dynamic & original. Maybe poets that rhyme lack creativity.

Rap poetry is at least original, even when it rhymes. Although I might prefer rap poetry that doesn't rhyme. It just depends. But at least rap poetry (when it is not commercialized) is often fresh and delicious – even when it rhymes.

My comment about white people and rhyming poetry will perhaps be misrepresented by some as racist. I'm not being racist. After all, I am white. In addition, I am not burdened by any "white guilt". My ancestors were drafted into the great Union Army during the Civil War, why would I feel guilt?

Rap poetry is great contemporary poetry – even when it rhymes. Otherwise, virtually all of the rhyming poetry I've come across is garbage. And if it's not garbage, it's certainly not helped by the rhyme. The rhyme hurts contemporary poetry.

Wolf, if your name is ever on a ballot for anything, you've at least got one vote!
    What is even worse than rhyming poetry is rhyming translators. What are the chances of Pushkins poems rhyming in english? Pretty good, apparently...

As a side point, if a rhyming poet also happens to be a hippie, make sure you wash the....erm...meat.... real well. You may also want to keep a few extra bottles of Ketchup on hand.... just sayin...

For grievous war these arms don't ask,
    No armor, save this joyous flask

Blog Entries

Talking Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by bIGwIRE View Post
    Wolf, if your name is ever on a ballot for anything, you've at least got one vote!
    What is even worse than rhyming poetry is rhyming translators. What are the chances of Pushkins poems rhyming in english? Pretty good, apparently...

As a side point, if a rhyming poet also happens to be a hippie, make sure you wash the....erm...meat.... real well. You may also want to keep a few extra bottles of Ketchup on hand.... Hust sayin...
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Blog Entries
    Poets who are too cool to rhyme taste a bit like chicken - only blander.
    ay up

. . .and those misguided, aspiring poets who insist on rhyming regardless of their pieces making no sense at all are what? uncool?

If you need further proof of how rhyming is often a virus that turns poetry into inane mush, look no further than these pages. It's disheartening.

H

Those rap artists Wolf admires sometimes appear to be influenced by excessive testosterone production. I make no inferences from this as to whether castration would be appropriate.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    ~

W a r n i n g

Please do not personalise your comments.

Off-topic/inflammatory posts will be removed without further notice.

~
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    I see nothing wrong with rhyme.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
    . . .and those misguided, aspiring poets who insist on rhyming regardless of their pieces making no sense at all are what? uncool?

If you need further proof of how rhyming is often a virus that turns poetry into inane mush, look no further than these pages. It's disheartening.

H
    I heart you, Hill, I really do, but as someone who works very hard at rhyme, I resent this.

I have to disagree fondly. I love rhyming because it free words from their meanings. It is the best experience I have ever had in language.
    A word becomes meaningless and the at the same time allows the reader to imagine many different meaning to it. It is not about the sense of a word it is about the possibilities of many words in a word. I love rhyming poetry for that. It is just like music without words. A tune where one can get free/
    loose with the sound rather then the scripts. I consider this very important for the intellect.
    So I do not want the meaning I want to be able to imagine new meanings. You have got to love rhyming for that.
    It is all about a sense of liberation rhyming poetry is. If you do not like it well.... that is it.
    Last edited by cacian; 02-05-2013 at 03:53 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    I have to disagree fondly. I love rhyming because it free words from their meanings. It is the best experience I have ever had in language.
    A word becomes meaningless and the at the same time allows the reader to imagine many different meaning to it. It is not about the sense of a word it is about the possibilities of many words in a word. I love rhyming poetry for that. It is just like music without words. A tune where one can get free/
    loose with the sound rather then the scripts. I consider this very important for the intellect.
    So I do not want the meaning I want to be able to imagine new meanings. You have got to love rhyming for that. If you do not want well that is it.
    Huh?...am I trapped in the intellect thread??
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post

H
    Surely that can be an intentional effect of rhyme, rather than misguided.

If you have an inane and tortured rhyme juxtaposed to the theme and rhythm, you have an interesting tension. You should watch out for that.

For example Sassoon's The General, is one of his most famous and effective poems because of his cute rhyme on top of its tragic theme.
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 02-05-2013 at 04:19 AM.
    ay up

Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post
    Huh?...am I trapped in the intellect thread??
    What?!! LOL
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast