Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard III

The woman from the Richard III Society was an emotional wreck because female Ricardians are all basically in love with Richard III.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaza View Post
    The woman from the Richard III Society was an emotional wreck because female Ricardians are all basically in love with Richard III.
    Weird.

Whether she was or not, she ruined the programme. Blubberer.

Yeah, weird. From what I've read, Richard was a bit of a dick, particularly to his nephews.

My knowledge of Alfred is worse: burned some cakes - ran out the Vikings.

Pretty cool dig anyway. All I've ever found was a couple of arrowheads and a piece of PVC pipe.
    Uhhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Pretty cool dig anyway. All I've ever found was a couple of arrowheads and a piece of PVC pipe.
    That is cool. Which tribe originally lived in that area, and what did they use PVC pipe for?
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Mostly Creek in my area, Cherokee to the north, and Seminole to the south. The pipe, I think, came from a later time: the Lynyrdis Skynyrain period, Billy-Bob Tribe I'm pretty sure. It appeared to be associated with some sort of outdoor pumping apparatus.
    Uhhhh...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Yeah, weird. From what I've read, Richard was a bit of a dick, particularly to his nephews.

My knowledge of Alfred is worse: burned some cakes - ran out the Vikings.

Yes - the whole Tudor propaganda thing has needed a serious revision with the discovery of his twisted spine. There is absolutely no doubt that he did suffer from propaganda, but the likelihood is that he had the Princes killed. He gained the most from it, and had the power and influence to do it.

Their name - the Rickardians - is really pompous too. I sense that there has been a lot of intellectual snobbery in the past. Perhaps that's why she was weeping so much - loss of credibility. I snorted with derision a number of times during the prog. (I can't repeat what I shouted at the telly. I was reassured when I found out my wife had been watching and shouted similar things too). It was when she said - "does this look like the face of a monster?" that I knew hey were scrabbling at straws.

I think it's really funny that those medieval institutions - the cathedrals - are now fighting over his remains for purely financial reasons. The wishes of the bloke are neither here nor there in this tug of war.

Yes well they obviously know they are going to pull the punters in on this one.

Yes the woman really winded me up too as I said earlier. What she and others should concern themselves with is fitting the facts together from the evidence, no matter what, not hoping the evidence reveals some strange personal fantasy, completely unprofessional - not that she's professional but you see what I mean.

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Fascinating stuff indeed, I've been following along.
    Coincidentally, Google's homepage banner for Feb 6th, as it appears here in the Republic, commenorates Mary Leaky's birthday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Leakey

I like Prendrelimick's reliquary idea, bits and pieces scattered hither and yon.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

I want to see this blubbering woman, could somebody provide her name or the name of the program so I can do a search (or directly point me to a youtube clip)?

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billl View Post
    I want to see this blubbering woman, could somebody provide her name or the name of the program so I can do a search (or directly point me to a youtube clip)?
    Same request.
    Thanks.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    Yes - the whole Tudor propaganda thing has needed a serious revision with the discovery of his twisted spine. There is absolutely no doubt that he did suffer from propaganda, but the likelihood is that he had the Princes killed. He gained the most from it, and had the power and influence to do it.

Their name - the Rickardians - is really pompous too. I sense that there has been a lot of intellectual snobbery in the past. Perhaps that's why she was weeping so much - loss of credibility. I snorted with derision a number of times during the prog. (I can't repeat what I shouted at the telly. I was reassured when I found out my wife had been watching and shouted similar things too). It was when she said - "does this look like the face of a monster?" that I knew hey were scrabbling at straws.

I think it's really funny that those medieval institutions - the cathedrals - are now fighting over his remains for purely financial reasons. The wishes of the bloke are neither here nor there in this tug of war.
    I may be way off base, but I seem to recall that they found two skeletons of adolescent boys curled up under a stairwell in the Tower of London. The speculation of course was that they were what was left of the princes.
    Uhhhh...

Blog Entries
    I can't find a U tube clip from the programme anywhere, but if you can get it the whole thing is here.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od

Or you can try a search, her name is Philippa Langley . The Times did a piece on her entitled, The Woman Who Is In Love With Richard III

There was a discovery of two adolescent's remains in the tower, I presume someone knows where the bones are now as it was a sensation at the time. Then there is Perkin Wellbeck, who claimed to be Prince Richard all growed up. I wonder if the whereabouts of his remains are known.

Has anyone else noticed that Liecester Council spent a million pounds on their Richard III visitor centre before they knew it was him ? Also Liecester Uni put alot of resources in. So I hope there wasn't too much pressure to come up with the right answer when interpreting DNA and carbon dating results. There was some doubt that the skeleton was even male. I hope they haven't dug up some old nun.
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 02-07-2013 at 04:37 AM.
    ay up

Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    I can't find a U tube clip from the programme anywhere, but if you can get it the whole thing is here.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od

Or you can try a search, her name is Philippa Langley . The Times did a piece on her entitled, The Woman Who Is In Love With Richard III

There was a discovery of two adolescent's remains in the tower, I presume someone knows where the bones are now as it was a sensation at the time. Then there is Perkin Wellbeck, who claimed to be Prince Richard all growed up. I wonder if the whereabouts of his remains are known.

Has anyone else noticed that Liecester Council spent a million pounds on their Richard III visitor centre before they knew it was him ? Also Liecester Uni put alot of resources in. So I hope there wasn't too much pressure to come up with the right answer when interpreting DNA and carbon dating results. There was some doubt that the skeleton was even male. I hope they haven't dug up some old nun.
    Having got rid of the TV, this at least gave me a chance to see the programme. I had forgotten just how crass TV adverts are but the sight of Bruce Willis with the usual car crashes and explosions in tow confirmed that I have done the right thing. Are you ready for Die Hard part 5, or is it 6 ? As for the programme, it was longer than needed but interesting nevertheless, although the script could have done with a few less 'Wow's' and it was hilarious when one of the Ricardians said that: 'as soon as the body was lifted from the grave, it began to sink in.' The tearful woman was silly but it was the guy with check shirt and scruffy hairdo who was more irritating, because there are few things less visually appealing than a leading commentator who looks like Worzel Gummidge. Having usurped the throne, it would be difficult not to agree that Dickie got what he deserved.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    He was a strange choice, I think he is a comedian. I suppose the whole thing was a bit of a joke, with those Ricardians digging up a car park and Philippa getting a funny feeling right where there was an "R" painted on the tarmac, it was comedy gold - until they found the remains. Then I bet there was some hasty editorial reviews and they wished they'd got someone with more wieght.
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 02-07-2013 at 09:31 AM.
    ay up

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    He was a strange choice, I think he is a comedian.
    I haven't seen the programme but saw a clip and he looked like one of the guys from Horrible Histories (the one who plays Caligula, and Death) so perhaps not such an odd choice after all. No weirder than Tony Robinson, anyway.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast