Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saying grace

Question saying grace

did you do you ever say grace around the dinner table?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Cacian, how do you think of this stuff?

Answer - Only when my Auntie Grace comes to dinner.
    Some people call me Maurice
    'Cos I speak of the pompatus of love

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Cacian, how do you think of this stuff?
    Hi Sancho. Well I imagine it first Lol. Only joking. This stuff is important if you think about its history. I am told it is very american to say grace. I am not sure if it is I think it is worldwide. Also it is a piece I wish to include in my short story. I just need to see if grace differ from family to family.
    Answer - Only when my Auntie Grace comes to dinner.
    And how does it go?
    Last edited by cacian; 01-31-2013 at 03:03 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    On Sunday the grandchildren and other assorted offspring and their partners come to the farm for dinner. Mrs P gets the prayer dice off the mantlepiece - that's a large wooden dice with a different grace printed on each side. One of the kiddies gets to roll it and then I read it out. Then we all say Aaahhhhhmen! in a rising cadence, pointing a finger to heaven and twirling it round in time to the chant. (because that is how they do it at playgroup -says the youngest grandchild.) Some of the assembled do it ironically some are a bit embarrassed, (me and Mrs P do enjoy embarrassing our sons and daughters, its one of the few remaining powers we have over them). Anyway by popular vote this is the favourite one, short and pleasingly rhythmic.

For food and drink and fellowship
    God's holy name be praised.

AAAAAAHHHHHMEN!
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 01-31-2013 at 04:32 AM.
    ay up

The Ghost of Laszlo Jamf islandclimber's Avatar
    Sometimes we get all dressed up in disturbing fetishistic fashions and we balance on our heads in our chairs with one member in suspension above the dining room table, hanging in place of the chandelier. And we say grace backwards then forwards, then as a sequence of loosely linked profanities...

I jest. Or do I?

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    On Sunday the grandchildren and other assorted offspring and their partners come to the farm for dinner. Mrs P gets the prayer dice off the mantlepiece - that's a large wooden dice with a different grace printed on each side. One of the kiddies gets to roll it and then I read it out. Then we all say Aaahhhhhmen! in a rising cadence, pointing a finger to heaven and twirling it round in time to the chant. (because that is how they do it at playgroup -says the youngest grandchild.) Some of the assembled do it ironically some are a bit embarrassed, (me and Mrs P do enjoy embarrassing our sons and daughters, its one of the few remaining powers we have over them). Anyway by popular vote this is the favourite one, short and pleasingly rhythmic.

For food and drink and fellowship
    God's holy name be praised.

AAAAAAHHHHHMEN!
    LOl very fun and ahmen to that too
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by islandclimber View Post
    Sometimes we get all dressed up in disturbing fetishistic fashions and we balance on our heads in our chairs with one member in suspension above the dining room table, hanging in place of the chandelier. And we say grace backwards then forwards, then as a sequence of loosely linked profanities...

I jest. Or do I?

Amen.
    Ouch that cannot be comfortable still grace need be done then so be it.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Young Writer
    My family never says grace except on the United States' holiday of Thanksgiving.

Part of the reason is because it is almost impossible to make a large group of people pray in front of food when they are tempted to eat it immediately.

The other reason is that my parents simply didn't raise us that way, despite their own upbringing.

Blog Entries
    At larger family dinners my family says grace, usually contingent on my aunt being there since she is the only one who insists on it.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries
    I give thanks for my meals most of the time
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

Blog Entries
    I'm usually the only one that says grace at the table, especially now that I'm at college. But I always do, even if it's only to myself.
    "I drag myself out of nightmares each morning and find there's no relief in waking."

Quote Originally Posted by faithosaurus View Post
    I'm usually the only one that says grace at the table, especially now that I'm at college. But I always do, even if it's only to myself.
    Oh wow and what do you actually say if you do not mind me asking?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    Hi Sancho. Well I imagine it first Lol. Only joking. This stuff is important if you think about its history. I am told it is very american to say grace. I am not sure if it is I think it is worldwide. Also it is a piece I wish to include in my short story. I just need to see if grace differ from family to family.

And how does it go?
    I was only joking, Cacian. When Auntie Grace comes to dinner we say, “Hi, Grace, pass the beans, Grace. How was your day, Grace. My, my, you’re looking well, Grace. And so on.”

Quote Originally Posted by faithosaurus View Post
    I had a friend like that in the Air Force. A bunch of us would be sitting around a table in the chow hall, digging in and trash-talking each other, but he’d always bow his head, close his eyes, and silently say grace. Nobody ever paid any attention to him.

Then one day after he was done praying, I pointed to my tray and said to him, “Hey man, did you get some of that on mine?”

He once again folded his hands, bowed his head, closed his eyes, furled his brow, and began silently mouthing some words. When he was done, he looked at me and smiled, then said, “You’re covered, Sancho.”

So we high-fived.
    Some people call me Maurice
    'Cos I speak of the pompatus of love

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    At School -
    The first 3 years at Catholic school, based on foggy recollection, it was something like 3 Hail Mary's and 1 Our Father
    Once I moved over to Public school, before praying was banned, it was:

"God is great, God is good
    let us thank him for our food"
    Immediately followed by a mad dash for the synthetic cheesebugers and lard saturated fries.

Today-
    We still say grace at formal gatherings, holiday meals and such, using the classic; "Bless us oh Lord for these thy gifts..."
    after we say "Amen" and all are about to dig in, I follow with " As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end...Amen"

edit - sorry Sancho, didn't mean to immediately bury your post, I was typing mine when yours came in.
    Last edited by Gilliatt Gurgle; 02-01-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    Oh wow and what do you actually say if you do not mind me asking?
    Oh, I don't mind!

I usually thank God for the food and for the safety of my family and friends.
    "I drag myself out of nightmares each morning and find there's no relief in waking."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast