Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Gatsby Review

G

No Subject

I highly agree that the beginning of the book is very boring. I'm not sure if anyone has ever gotten through the first chapter their first time picking it up. And yes, the book does get much better. Fitzgerald develops the characters in an interesting manner and makes them quite intriguing actually. I recommend that you try a little harder and read the novel, you might be surprised.

G

No Subject

I too agree with what you are saying. Gatsby appears to be an honest man, fighting to reach his dream. That of being with the woman he loves. However, his methods of achieving the wealth she desires are far more immoral then expected from someone like him. With a theme like morality, Jay can be argued as a moral man corrupted by society

G

No Subject

Chris, I highly disagree with you. I do feel that Gatsby is corrupt. He resorted to crime and illegal operations to get money to win someone over. She is married, why is he trying to break them apart? Whether she is unhappy or not, that is not his place. And the fact that he would have an affair with a married woman, how is that not indecent? I do feel that he is one of the less corrupt characters, but he is still corrupt!

Stephanie Elkins

i agree

i agree with you. gatsby was just in love, and can you really blame him for wanting to be back with his love Daisy? i understand why he felt the way that he did. overall, the book was very well written and in my opinion, very interesting!<br><br>steph<br>[email protected] om

Unregistered

TGG

I was compelled to reply to your comments concerning the above named book. Utter bilge, not really worth the read, hugely irrelevant in places, but fairly simple essay material.<br>I'm glad to see that I@m not the only one with this opinion!!

Alex

No Subject

Got to disagree with you. You say most of it's not relevant, but that probably means you're not reading it well enough. Every paragraph has some subtle relevance that is easy to miss when reading it the first time. Once you have a good knowledge of the book reading it again is interesting to see all the bits you missed the first time and thought were irrelevant. Everything is there for a reason.<br><br>It's a shame you don't like the book cos it's one of the few I've studied in school that I've ever liked, so it must be quite good at least! It's short as well, which is a bonus.

L

~rolls eyes~

Anonymous. I wrote the above comment because I was on hollidays and had nothing better to do at the time. I would like to point out that a typo does not suggest educational incompetance. Furthermore I sincerely regret my poor grammar, I hope you can forgive me. As I spent that whole minute on my comment, I definitely should have put more thought into my sentance structure. ~please note sarcasm~. <br><br>Different people have different, and often conflicting views of the world in which they live. Because of this, we all have our own ideas and feelings about different texts. I wrote my comment for anyone who disliked the plot, the context or the style of writing. If you were any kind of reasonably open-minded person you would accept other peoples feelings towards the book. Personally I tend to prefer fantasy novels and my favourite author is Anne McCaffery. But just because I prefer that style of writing doesn't mean I will attempt to degrade people who do not share my point of view. So put your head down and look straight at people, rather than sneering at them down your nose because they don't agree with you on a subject.<br><br>As for the other comments, thankyou for your feedback and I'm glad the quotes helped some of you. =)

Unregistered

No Subject

very good

G

Grammar

Ok, they're writing a response, who cares if they spelt a few words wrong! I read this book for English 12 and I actually enjoyed. Perhaps we are on different levels of thinking, or maybe I just put more effort into understanding the deeper meaning. If you actually took the time to read the book, you probably would have enjoyed it more too. I do agree that the first 2-4 pages were boring, but you can't base a whole novel on those pages, every novel gets better as you read it, that's why the climax is in the middle, not the beginning, but L, thank you for the quotes, because they did help my report.

Unregistered

No Subject

I kept zoning out until I got to where Nick went to see Daisy and Tom for the first time. It was pretty good, and the BAM! Tom smacks Myrtle, and the next thing I knew I was done with the book! I've never read a book so fast. Maybe this one was just easy, but it was also a great story. If anybody didn't like it, they just didn't read far enough. That happens to me all the time.

Rosie

No Subject

Quite right! I don't see how you can make such extreme judgements about something you haven't even read. Have a bit of stamina, read the novel and then you might understand it's true charming beauty.

L

No Subject

ok I don't know what people have been writing after the 19th of December because the messages arn't showing up. So I'm sorry to the...4 messages that I havn't replied to. If they ever show up for me I will reply.

Unregistered

Stupidity

ummm reading the book and seeing your quotes that you wrote two of them are wrong. i will not say which two because i feel the book is worth reading. it is carless people like you that make life boring and a waste of time. thanks, but no thanks

Kath

No Subject

Thankyou for the quotes. I had intended to use that quote but thanks to you I didn't. I got 18/20 for the essay ( which was worth 15% of my HSC) so anyone who says you have to be stupid to dislike this book doesn't know what they're talking about

G

No Subject

Brian, I'm not sure which book you read, but it sure wasn't The Great Gatsby. I read this book for English 12 and you seemed to write about information that didn't even show up in my edition. Jay didn't meet Daisy at war, he met her before hand, they didn't make love the night beofre she left and you certianly do not choose waht positon you want inthe war. If thatw ere the case, everyon woudl request to be an officer or even someone of higher ranking, and not a soldier. Dan Cody didn't want to be loved by everyone, because he already was, that had nothing to do with it. He came across money and lived his life, he did nothing special to embelish upon that.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast