Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Great Gatsby Review

Exclamation Are you really that stupid, or is it an elaborate hoax?

I'm sorry to say you clearly haven't understood much of what 'The Great Gatsby' is trying to put across. One of the most promininent features of the book is Fitzgerald's irony and pessimism. Fitzgerald was grossly discontented with what America had evolved into from when the first pilgrims arrived on the virgin shores, so filled with hope. He continually criticizes the society he lived in, and paradoxically partook of with such alacrity. Next time you attack a novel, be sure to actually understand what it's about.

I think people hold some things in a holy light high up on a pedestal when they belong on the ground, next to us under the natural sun. The pilgrims arrived on these virgin shores for a whole host of reasons, and we're living them today. Next time you attack our society, in any time period, think about where you are today and consider avoiding such a huge act of hypocrisy.

As for something better- there's always something better. No book is ever the best. Its a pointless point.

So, I recently read this book in school, and it immediatly became one of my favorites.

You seem to be missing the forest for the trees.
    The book has nearly nothing to do with 'womens' emancipation', and NOTHING to do with 'the new jazz music and the dancing'. To say the book is superficial shows a lack of understanding of what Scott Fitzgerald is saying.

For example - In the 20's, to be fashionable, a person went against all the Victorian values (with the short flapper outfits, drinking, promiscuous dancing, sex ect.). Tom, who is so proud of himself for being radical, flaunts his mistress, even to his strangers. But by doing this, he is just conforming to societies fashion of going against society.
    This is directly applicable to the youth of today. The present fashion is to be individualistlic. They do this by joining groups that make them stand out. But their still joining groups to be unique. It is the same layout, applied differently to present situations.

Another that directly applies to the present - No one attends Gatsby's funeral. This is a reflection of the 20's consuming lifestyle. 'If it breaks, buy a new one. Don't mourn the loss of the old, move on, everything is interchangeble, replaceble. Even people.'
    This is a deep message. It's easy to get caught in consumerism. It's a huge part of society today. Just watch television for a couple minutes. If young people DON'T hear this message, they certainly won't figure it out on their own. Nor will they care about each other, or you.

He even points out that the people who see whats society as superficial will defend it to the death. Daisy talks about her daughter, and how she hopes the child will grow up a fool, because that is the only way the little girl will be happy.
    Are you telling me that our society ISN'T superficial? That we've evolved past all that materialism and duplicity, and this message is outdated??

Fitzgerald shows students, and all readers, that society is not always right, and, specifically, the dangers of blindly following it's rules, which our present society suffers greatly from.
    The danger, in truth, is taking this book off the syllabus. That, or teaching it to students badly, which you may be doing if all you got out of it was the jazz music.

Gatsby didn't become a classic because it documented history. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean a lot of other people were unable to, too. Who are you to judge 'the syllabus'? What makes a book worthy or, as you put it, better? Why is your opinion final?

Maybe you dont understand it...

Quote Originally Posted by berserkergang
    I'm sorry to say you clearly haven't understood much of what 'The Great Gatsby' is trying to put across. One of the most promininent features of the book is Fitzgerald's irony and pessimism. Fitzgerald was grossly discontented with what America had evolved into from when the first pilgrims arrived on the virgin shores, so filled with hope. He continually criticizes the society he lived in, and paradoxically partook of with such alacrity. Next time you attack a novel, be sure to actually understand what it's about.
    And what makes you think your point of view is right? Fitzgerald's life is similar to Gatsby's in many ways. They both were poor boys from minnesota, they both fell in love with a rich girl whom they had to satisfy with money. A big difference is Fitzgerald's drinking habits. In fact, he was so keen on the bottle that it was an obstacle to his rise in the literary community. They viewed him as an "irresponsible writer". And when TGG was published in 1926, his drinking habits had not yet become a problem. Say if he were criticizing, he were also criticizing himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    He was a Bootleger!!!
    And isn't a bootlegger a defender of freedom?

i'll wait forever♥

help please! relationships

I need help on discussing the relationship between two people that I believe is the most destructive one in the novel. So I need to answer this question: Which relationship seems to cause the most trouble throughout the novel? And why. I chose Tom & Daisy. Just because they have the most problems. Is that good, or should I change it?

Please help! Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by lovexyou
    I need help on discussing the relationship between two people that I believe is the most destructive one in the novel. So I need to answer this question: Which relationship seems to cause the most trouble throughout the novel? And why. I chose Tom & Daisy. Just because they have the most problems.
    The most destructive relationship in "The Great Gatsby" has to be Tom and his married lover (can't recall her name.) The relationship and her death set into motion the book's tragic ending.

i'll wait forever♥
    I think her name is Myrtle. Why would it be her? They dont really talk about her and Tom as much as they do Tom and Daisy. For my essay i need 3 paragraphs with 2 quotes in each to back up my explanations. So thats why I chose Tom and Daisy because there is so much about them..

Quote Originally Posted by lovexyou
    I think her name is Myrtle. Why would it be her? They dont really talk about her and Tom as much as they do Tom and Daisy. For my essay i need 3 paragraphs with 2 quotes in each to back up my explanations. So thats why I chose Tom and Daisy because there is so much about them..
    Tom and Daisy were more of a bad marriage than a destructive relationship. The plot of the book's ending revolves around the death of Myrtle and her husband mistakenly blaming Gatsby. Thiis is a destructive consequence of Tom's affair with Myrtle.

i'll wait forever♥

Arrow Strength and Weakness

Does anyone know 3 srength or weaknesses in the book? thanks

The Great Gatsby

Hello!!!! I'm a german student and have to write my research paper in english. My theme : Society seen through the eyes of Fitzgerald!! I really need help... I'm completely desperate because I have to finish it in a few days... !!! Please help me!!!!!

Blog Entries
    hey Iris, first of all welcome to the forums...
    don't know if i can help... but here's the maximum i could do

http://www.geocities.com/fidelio1st/...re/gatsby.html
    check this...my cousin had to use this once, had the link saved on my computer, hope it proves useful as i myself have never read the book.

And the gates of this Chapel were shut,
    And Thou shalt not, writ over the door:
    So I turned to the Garden of Love,
    That so many sweet flowers bore. - "The Garden of Love", William Blake.

Exclamation tom and gatsby i need help

i need to no anything you like or dont like about tom or gastpy

im writing a paper and i want to know every thing about gastspy