Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Gatsby Review

Bella

Great Gatsby...

I think "The Great Gatsby" is one of the greatest books of all time, that potrays one of the greatest characters in American literature. I love every single words in the book..every single details. <br><br>I admire Gatsby..for his view of life, though clouded is always real. While the rest of them, 'the rotten crowd' are empty shells...that really never have a real purpose, nor will they ever find one.<br><br>I loved it. <br><br>Jay Gatsby is truly a great person.

Unregistered

No Subject

"America was once a land meant fordreamers; now, the mindless pursuit of wealth has destroyed the American dream. Fitzgerald saw a society hurtling recklessly onward, without direction, unwilling to take responsibility for its actions; for him, this represented the annihilation of the very fabric of America." <br><br>A quote credited to O. Verma, isn't it excellent?!

Unregistered

corrupt or innocent?

I love the Great Gatsby and I've read the book about 3 times because of school and essays. I'm sorry but never in the 3 times that I read it did I see where Nick wakes up with a man... sorry maybe you're reading the X rated version! heehee just kidding. But really I have never seen that part. What I am interested in knowing is the answer to the following question:<br><br>Is Jay Gatsby a corrupt (given into bad influences, behaves badly and has twisted desires and morals) or innocent (simple, inexperienced and free of blame)?

Unregistered

No Subject

Just to point out, those who are confused about nick waking up with a man are referencing to the end of chapter 2 where nick is in a drunken stupor and blacking out, and at one point he comes to for a second and the man who was taking pictures at myrtle's apartment is showing him his portfolio of pictures. The fact that the man is in bed is irrelevant. Besides, nick is standing next to the bed, not lying in it. The scene is just more support that people naturally open up to nick and are compelled to show him their problems, desires, etc.

Unregistered

No Subject

Thank you for clearing up my question Anonymous on May 26th. The others that replied were of no help, and they concluded I meant a physical relationship between the two, and that is not what was implied.

Unregistered

No Subject

Gatsby appears to be a combination of corruption and innocense. He makes his money off illegal influences, but is a pure heart for the love of Daisy, but again shows corruption by trying to take Daisy from Tom. So you really could argue in both directions, that Gatsby is a man of innocense(sp)but yet is corrupted by wealth and materialism.

Unregistered

No Subject

uhh ello everyone..i read gatsby in english class...i don't get english words very good but i like gatsby very much so. i hope u like nick..he is good. i hope nick write more good book so i can read and expand my brain cells..thank you people

aMy

what is so great about gatsby?

What is so great about Gatsby? why is it called the Great Gatsby? "'They're a rotten crowd,' I shouted across the lawn. 'You're worth the whole damn bunch put together.'" Is it only through nick's point of view that gatsby is great, or is he really great? cuz i dont see any particular quality that makes him great. I need help, not getting this book. I can see it's a great book, from all the comments, but i just dont think it's a book for high school students.

Brian

The Great Gatsby:

American Dream is not just to do with wealth, it is also raising it's own level or class in society. These are what Jay Gatsby wanted to do to show Daisy that he is rich. He attains the American Dream, but not the dream of marrying Daisy because she is above his class. He joins the army and become an officer to create an image of himself that he is a hero. While he is in the army, he meets a arrogant nurse named Daisy. He falls in love with her and she promises to married her before he went for war. In the stages of Jay Gatsby・s life, he meets people, such as Dan Cody and Meyer Wolfeshine who help him to accomplish his dreams. After of being wealthy, Jay has always wanted to win Daisy back. He wants to show her that he is as rich as Tom(Daisy・s husband). Because of this Jay buys a house in the shore of West Egg so he could see her far away in the shore of East Egg where Daisy lives. Accidentally, Nick Carraway, a cousin of Daisy live next to Jay Gatsby, sets them up to meet in his own house. <br> Jay and his parents have Poland blood, but his parents immigrate to United States and Jay is born and is raised in North Dakota As a child, Jay respects his parents highly even though he live in a poverty home. His parents give him rules and it is written on the back cover of the book called Hopalong Cassidy. : No wasting time at Shafters...[a name, indecipherable]......Be better to parents;.(Pg.164). At the age of seventeen, Gatsby skips home. He moves to Southern Minnesota where he went to the small Lutheran College of St Olaf・s and stayed there two weeks. During his stay two weeks in Minnesota, he works as a janitor where he pays all his tuition.<br> A fifty-year old millionaire man named Dan Cody steps into Jay・s life when Gatsby sees Dan・s yacht drop anchor on Lake Superior. Dan inherit all his money from the successful Yukon gold rush since 1875 and the transactions in Montana copper that make him multi-millionaire. It is the newspaper woman named Ella Kaye who sent him to Little Girl Bay where he meets James Gatz. To Gatsby, the yacht Cody owns represent all the beauty and glamour in the world and this is what he desires. Jay is employed to be his personnel or even jailor because Dan is a heavy drinker and he needs Jay to protect him. They have been together for five years Gatsby wants to fill his life with status symbols where he could show the world he is wealthy. For this reason, Dan is the one responsible for creating Gatsby. Gatsby and Dan both wants to be admired by everyone.<br> Jay Gatsby volunteer to join the military. The reason why Jay choose to be an officer instead of a soldier because he thinks he is high class gentleman. He also want to show everyone after war that he is a gentleman and a war hero. It is a opportunity for Jay to win glory to raise himself in the eyes of others. During his service as a officer, he meets a luxury, grace, and charm woman named Daisy. Daisy was a nurse working for the United States. Gatsby immediately falls in love with Daisy and lies to her about his own background in order to convince her that he is good enough for her since Daisy only love wealthy people Gatsby is called in duty to serve in the World War I by the United States. For this reason, Gatsby makes love to Daisy the day before serving as an officer in World War I. Daisy promised to wait for him. However, Daisy in a deep need to be loved, and when a wealthy, powerful high classed, young man named Tom Buchanan asked her to marry him, Daisy decided not to wait for Gatsby and married Tom because Tom is wealthier. Leaving for war, Gatsby know that he has to get wealthy to be together with Daisy again.

someone special

No Subject

<br> I read "The Great Gatsby" in 2 days and found it to be the best book I have ever read! It is also the greatest book, which so perfectly illuminates the American life of 1920s, which are sometimes referred to the boom years, golden age, jazz age, age of flappers, etc. <br>To an extent I agree with all those saying that Gatsby is corrupted, however you have to remember that he is a product of the American Dream, a dream that implemented the idea of reinventing the past, re-establishing the identity and striving to the better life. His determination to win Daisy can be viewed, as heroic as he puts all his efforts to become the part of the elite society, owned old money, which she had. Though, I think, he failed to understand that the past couldn't be changed as well as the green light, Daisy, is not anymore the girl he used to love. The idea of love can also be questioned, as she embodied all those things he didn't have, and therefore can be viewed as a way of escaping from the reality. <br>From the point of view of history, I think that it is useful to understand the things, which were going on after the war in America, but from another prospect. Fitzgerald presented so clearly the "restless" American society with all the corruption and crimes, hidden in the determination to change the life, having no context knowledge about what will happen very soon- a recession and decline of America.<br>

Jamie

one of the few...

I thought TTG is one of the most honest, most realistic novel that describes society. Those of you that didn't enjoy the book, may have their reasons, but face it, this story summed up how people really are. Gatsby was the most intreging character of the book, he was so in love with Daisy, and did everything in his free will to get her. That doesn't mean that getting rich illegally is ok, but the fact that he did that all for Daisy's love makes him so unselfish, and cowardless. He and Nick are the only characters in the book who actually know what's up. As for the others, they just portray the lives of most people today. Selfishness, envy, sloth, these are just a few immoral traits that make up people's true selves.

amanda

No Subject

I am a highschool student in Texas. We read the novel The Great Gatsby. I think that it was a really good book. We had to do a 500 word essay on the novel and that was a little tuff because we had to have quotes from the book and had to write the page numbers in with it. But other than that it was pretty awesome!

ruth

tgg

i think the great gatsby is a fantastic book, fantasically written. and daisy isnt as bad as everyone makes out.

Unregistered

No Subject

<br>The first time i read this book it was very confusing and hard for me to understand so i decided to read it again. it is really a pointless story but it ws ok. i had to take a test on it and i bet anyone that i fail because it was a really confusing book. i would only recommend this book to people who absolutly LOVE to read and are REALLY SMART! i would only rate this book a 45 out of 100 possible points.

Unregistered

No Subject

At first i didnt understand the book because i wasnt into reading it in the first place, but then i started to take the test and freaked so i read it again. the second time i read it i thought that it was really interesting. i enjoyed t and got a much higher grade. i agree with most of these comments, however i thought that Gatsby was a good and bad guy. He thought that Daisy loved him enough to leave Tom but i knew there was a slim chance in that happening in the first place. He should of come home a soon as possible instead of waiting and then it being to late. i didnt like the character Tom at all because he was "wishy-washy" He was having his own affair and then when he found out about Daisys affair he freaked i mean he acts like it is ok to do it himself but then when someone else does it, it isnt at all. Even though i liked Daisy i thought that she was a snob. She acted like the world evolved around her and just to let her know it didnt. My favorite character was Jordan she was athletic, kind , and told the truth to everyone. i havnt watched the movie but i intead to after reading these reviews.