Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: The Philosophy of Sex ?

  1. #16
    R.I.P. Hawg Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    101
    Regardless of it's historical underpinnings, sex in modern human societies has become more recreational in nature, than procreational. Sex seems to me to have transended procreation. 'Tis like going fishing ... for food or ... for fun. No one wants to go fishing with just anyone, and there are certainly easier and more efficient ways today to obtain a fish dinner than to sit on the banks of a beautiful river. I have it ... the primary current evolutionary purpose of sex today is to inspire new expressions of art. Well that, ... and vice versa.
    Last edited by Hawg Horse; 01-25-2013 at 10:16 PM.
    According to our creation story, night came first: darkness upon the deep. Put another way, night is older than day; night is older than time; night is the womb from which the world emerged. ... Iíll have you praying for dawn. Excerpts from Night Shifts, by Elissa Wald.

  2. #17
    Maybe YesNo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near Chicago, Illinois USA
    Posts
    9,420
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg Horse View Post
    I have it ... the primary current evolutionary purpose of sex today is to inspire new expressions of art.
    That sounds like it to me. One could include any cultural expression with art.

    As often as some of us have sex even when we cannot procreate and the enjoyment that comes from it makes me think that evolution was aiming for something in addition to procreation. Of course there are those who would say evolution doesn't aim for anything and it all happened by chance. In that case we most definitely lucked out.

    While reading The Chemistry Between Us: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1591845130 the authors noted that breasts and penises were unusually larger than necessary to get the job done in our species. They claimed, although I might have misunderstood, that the increased size was for increased pleasure and social memory (bonding, love). I interpret that as saying that sex focuses our attention outside ourselves and encourages us to establish relationships.

  3. #18
    R.I.P. Hawg Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    101
    What poetic empathy, if any, do you, or those authors of your authoritative readings, offer those (not me of course) who cart one shorter than the recommended length ... to properly get the job done? I assume all sizes should be duly considered as an expression of God’s art, or possibly an enactment of God’s punishment, or perhaps just an example of His Holy sense of humor. I know, in advance, your thoughts will be enlightening.
    According to our creation story, night came first: darkness upon the deep. Put another way, night is older than day; night is older than time; night is the womb from which the world emerged. ... Iíll have you praying for dawn. Excerpts from Night Shifts, by Elissa Wald.

  4. #19
    Maybe YesNo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near Chicago, Illinois USA
    Posts
    9,420
    Blog Entries
    2
    If I remember right, they said that 2.5 inches were all that would be needed to get the job done properly with the average size being about twice that, but anything larger than 2.5 inches would be only for pleasure.

  5. #20
    Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Posts
    7,013
    Blog Entries
    440
    Sexaul activity is very simple. Humans are rewwarded with pleasurew by DNA for trying to create more DNA. Women have to do the hard part of reproduction, so they get greater pleasure.

  6. #21
    Dance Magic Dance OrphanPip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur but from Canada
    Posts
    4,161
    Blog Entries
    25
    Explaining sexual pleasure evolutionarily is not all that easy. Plus sex doesn't increase fitness simply through promoting reproduction, it has other effects like supporting social cohesion and bonding. Bonobos are an obvious example of this since they rub the genitals of their infants to calm them, and they have sex indiscriminately with others in the group for recreation.

    I'm not sure women experience sexual pleasure more than men either, that is difficult to assess since men and women's genitalia are anatomically very similar at the level of nerves. Some argue that the female orgasm is simply the side-effect of the evolution of male orgasm. It used to be thought that female orgasm made pregnancy more likely, but the evidence suggests that it has almost no effect on fecundity.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

  7. #22
    confidentially pleased cacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,461
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    Sexaul activity is very simple. Humans are rewwarded with pleasurew by DNA for trying to create more DNA. Women have to do the hard part of reproduction, so they get greater pleasure.
    wow!! I am a woman and I find it is fifty fifty. No more no less.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

  8. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    944
    This is hard to measure and no yard stick is totally reliable to gauge the experience and maybe it fifty fifty or forty sixty or any other ratios. The equation cannot be relied on under all circumstances. In some cases women find the act a more pleasurable experience and sometimes men. This is subjective.

  9. #24
    R.I.P. Hawg Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    101
    Sounds like much more research is required for the good of society and for the continuation of our species. I hereby volunteer to participate. 'Tis my public duty.
    According to our creation story, night came first: darkness upon the deep. Put another way, night is older than day; night is older than time; night is the womb from which the world emerged. ... Iíll have you praying for dawn. Excerpts from Night Shifts, by Elissa Wald.

  10. #25
    Registered User WyattGwyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    Explaining sexual pleasure evolutionarily is not all that easy. Plus sex doesn't increase fitness simply through promoting reproduction, it has other effects like supporting social cohesion and bonding. Bonobos are an obvious example of this since they rub the genitals of their infants to calm them, and they have sex indiscriminately with others in the group for recreation.

    I'm not sure women experience sexual pleasure more than men either, that is difficult to assess since men and women's genitalia are anatomically very similar at the level of nerves. Some argue that the female orgasm is simply the side-effect of the evolution of male orgasm. It used to be thought that female orgasm made pregnancy more likely, but the evidence suggests that it has almost no effect on fecundity.
    Excellent points all, Pip, especially the possibility that female orgasm may be a side-effect of homologous structures.

    For those thinking pleasure in intercourse is 50/50, this is quite wrong, apparently. Many women never or rarely reach orgasm through intercourse alone.

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1
    Almost.

    Sex symbolizes what all of us are created for and called to: Intimacy in ecstasy, heaven. This is why it is sacred, and punishment for sexual sins is severe I would imagine. A masterpiece such as this which can bring such goodness and flourishment, when abused will have to result in devastating consequences in this life, and and the next. You can then only imagine what this generation is in for..

    The sexual revolution disconnected sex and love, and since Sex is closely related to Religion (mans search for God), when practised for the sake of itself, it becomes and has become its own Religion, practised and defended like one. If anything is related to sex it's defended, glorified and justified, even criminal acts against children (abortion (murder), divorce (indirect abuse)) etc. Even the president can break the law and get away with it. Maybe you have noticed this.

    Therefore the solution to end this mess the liberals have created is to reconnect those two. This is the only reason why moral relativism has become popular, to suppress those guilty feelings.

    This culture is the most obsessed with this multi-faceted diamond, but at the same time has made it so boring. So common and cheap, like any other activity.
    Last edited by ninechars; 03-08-2013 at 02:07 PM.

  12. #27
    R.I.P. Hawg Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    101
    I ask respectfully, not meaning to criticize ... but only to understand. Why do you suggest that so called "liberals" have created a moral mess?
    According to our creation story, night came first: darkness upon the deep. Put another way, night is older than day; night is older than time; night is the womb from which the world emerged. ... Iíll have you praying for dawn. Excerpts from Night Shifts, by Elissa Wald.

  13. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,890
    Quote Originally Posted by ninechars View Post
    Almost.

    Sex symbolizes what all of us are created for and called to: Intimacy in ecstasy, heaven. This is why it is sacred, and punishment for sexual sins is severe I would imagine. A masterpiece such as this which can bring such goodness and flourishment, when abused will have to result in devastating consequences in this life, and and the next. You can then only imagine what this generation is in for..

    The sexual revolution disconnected sex and love, and since Sex is closely related to Religion (mans search for God), when practised for the sake of itself, it becomes and has become its own Religion, practised and defended like one. If anything is related to sex it's defended, glorified and justified, even criminal acts against children (abortion (murder), divorce (indirect abuse)) etc. Even the president can break the law and get away with it. Maybe you have noticed this.

    Therefore the solution to end this mess the liberals have created is to reconnect those two. This is the only reason why moral relativism has become popular, to suppress those guilty feelings.

    This culture is the most obsessed with this multi-faceted diamond, but at the same time has made it so boring. So common and cheap, like any other activity.
    Although the ultimate purpose of sex is obviously procreation, it does not mean that God made it exclusive in that sense. Nor is love the purpose of sex. And procreation was never measured by God economically. You are mongering. Useless and well-known BS.

  14. #29
    Left 4evr Adolescent09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,390
    Blog Entries
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHeart View Post
    Yep. Precisely. That's what happens when I fukc. I keep thinking about the fall of Adam, and how I'm right there and then getting a glimpse of what I foolishly lost. Of course, sometimes I get confused because I suddenly realize I'm not Adam, and I don't even know from Adam anyone who's called Adam, but generally I would say you've nailed it.

    Are you cacian using a second account?

    Incidentally, sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. Yes is the answer.
    This is downright HILARIOUS. You, sir, made my day.
    My hide hides the heart inside

  15. #30
    confidentially pleased cacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,461
    sex is just an anatomy like a plasma tv it squares you up. whatever shape is left is up to you. it easy to watch but not quite easy to get with it.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Beyond philosophy
    By blazeofglory in forum Philosophical Literature
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 12:14 AM
  2. Thatís philosophy for ya!
    By coberst in forum Philosophical Literature
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 03:41 AM
  3. What is philosophy?
    By Bii in forum Philosophical Literature
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-06-2008, 08:49 PM
  4. What Philosophy For Me Is!
    By zealous_guy in forum Philosophical Literature
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 09:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •