Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Diet/Fitness Thread

Does anywhere here do MMA? I used to try and run treadmills and lift weights, but I would always get bored and stop because it felt like I was exercising rather than doing a sport. I started doing MMA 8 months ago, and I lost over 25 pounds (I was 188 before, now around ~160-162). MMA is great because I got to punch and kick pads, spar and put people in armbars, allowing me to "exercise" without really knowing it. This is definitely a healthier weight for me because I'm only 20 years old, 5'10.5 and a have slightly below average bone structure, even for my age.

I've just realized that I haven't posted an update on my own progress since May of last year. I have no excuse, since I started this thread in the first place.

My original intent behind starting with yoga last year was to use that to prep my body for "real" exercise. I quickly learned that yoga is real exercise and so stuck with it all year, adding more variety later on in the form of Tara Stiles' excellent four-disc This Is Yoga, which contains numerous workouts of varying lengths and difficulty. Problem was, holding poses was getting kinda boring, even though I was enjoying the exercise itself. I am still very glad I began with yoga; I just decided I needed some actual movement and activity, and therefore started thinking about more traditional workouts.

I'd heard lots of good things about Tony Horton's P90X, but you're expected to have a certain (high) level of fitness before beginning that program. (He has a helpful checklist you can use to tell if you're ready.) I decided to start at the bottom with the first level of his Power 90 program. I bought a set of exercise bands (Bodylastics) from Amazon and a Gold's Gym six-piece jigsaw floor mat ($20 at Walmart), and in January, away I went.

Horton's P90 programs are intended to be intensive; the idea is to work out six days per week for 90 days. I decided that I had no need to blast myself that way, so I'm doing it as a regular ongoing exercise program, generally about four days a week give or take with recovery days whenever needed.

The basic Power 90 consists of two levels (called "1-2" and "3-4") of two 30-45 minute workouts: "Sculpt" for strength-building and "Sweat" for aerobic conditioning. I was quickly glad I decided to begin at the beginning, as both of them kicked my butt thoroughly, especially "Sweat." I also discovered that my left elbow and right hip don't like these new workouts at all (feels like a joint thing rather than a muscle thing), but I can favor them enough that I can keep going.

Last month I decided that the remaining couple of moves I was struggling with weren't enough to keep holding myself back, so I promoted myself to level 3-4 and am now getting my butt thoroughly kicked again. Progress is progress, though, and the milestones are as gratifying as ever. For example: The first-level "Sculpt" workout opens with a set of standard pushups. The next level starts with decline pushups (feet on chair). That alone was enough to keep me from considering moving up for a while, but when I gave the declines a try last month, I discovered that I could do several. There's a nice confidence boost.

The effect of all this effort on me physically? My weight is still hanging around 240, but I've gone in a pant size (from 40 to 38) and two belt holes, so the weight distribution is definitely improving. My current goal in general is pretty modest: Keep working and improving, don't get injured, and hopefully when I turn 50 in a year and a half I'll look...well, okay for 50 anyway.

I also just realized that I haven't taken a picture since my "Before" picture in January of last year. I just took one, and I'm gratified to see that it does look better.

I'll try to be better about updating from now on. Anyone else got stories to share?
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Dude, you're wasting away.

I bought a Fitbit. It exploits my slightly obsessive-compulsive nature.
    Uhhhh...

Blog Entries
    You look thinner than 240 pounds, Calidore.

My wife just went to L.A. Fitness to attend her first Zumba dance/exercise class. I might try that as well.

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Good job Calidore, you're looking good, as for me I'm still running, mixed with fast paced "power" walk.
    in fact I'm swilling down the last of the coffee about to head out to the trail.
    keep it up.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You do look better, a bit trimmer and your arms look stronger, Calidore. The important thing is that you feel more fit and you are enjoying your workout. Impressive!

Last summer my doctor told me to go see an ENT as my thyroid seemed to be getting larger. I finally went this last April and that turned into a series of visits to have test run and pictures taken to determine if I had thyroid cancer. They could not make any such determination, so this last August out it came. The good news is that I do not have cancer. I actually feel a little better and seem to have a little more energy. They will be tinkering with my medication over the next few months.

I didn't go to yoga much this summer as I had ongoing issues with my sinuses, worse than it's been for years. I don't know what's up with that, but I got a migraine in mid-July and then had headaches daily until the operation. I think all the anesthesia and the morphine they gave me after finally knocked it out, lol.

Anyway, I'm back at yoga and taking a 70 classes in 90 days challenge. Eventually I'm going to have to lift some weights; it's the only thing that's really going to help with my flabby upper arms and tummy. I'll still do yoga, as I love the breathing and stretching, and it's so calming. I can't quit you, yoga!
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Thanks for the kind words, people.

Sorry to hear about your health problems, qimissung, but I'm glad things are improving for you. 70 yoga classes in 90 days sounds pretty grueling. What style of yoga is it, or do the classes cover an assortment of styles?

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I go to the Gentle Bliss classes, but it's still grueling when (A. You're not in the best shape, hehe and (B You have less energy than you used too. I may not make it, but it was time to push myself. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Quote Originally Posted by qimissung View Post
    I go to the Gentle Bliss classes, but it's still grueling when (A. You're not in the best shape, hehe and (B You have less energy than you used too. I may not make it, but it was time to push myself. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
    That's a yoga-y name if I've ever heard one. That's also the yoga way, though--kill you gently and kindly.

Nice sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Dude, you're wasting away.

I bought a Fitbit. It exploits my slightly obsessive-compulsive nature.

Dude, right? I bought one last year and wore it faithfully until I lost it. The biggest challenge for me is to not create a chart or graph with the data. My work just started a fitness challenge so I took the replacement (last years Christmas present) out of the box and got it revved up last week.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Lookin' good Calidore!
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    I'm getting cramp in the back of both lower legs lately, thats really slowing me down.
    Not that being seventy one has anything to do with it.
    After googling the symptoms, I came to the conclusion that it was the diet since I came to Japan.
    Too much coffee with my addicted South American collegue at work, too many drinks with the Texan one,sandwiches, burgers, burgers, burgers.
    So I've switched to: bananas, water, tea, pasta, fish, multi-vits and trust it gets better.
    Any of you get these cramps?

Blog Entries
    I don't get those cramps, but one of my cousins told me I should take magnesium or rub some lotion made out of it on my skin. If I recall, it is supposed to cure a lot of stuff and I think he mentioned "cramps", but I haven't tried it. But then I didn't have any of the problems he said it was supposed to cure.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks YesNo. I'll try the magnesium supplement.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast