Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tragic death

Tragic death

""Damini"" the brave girl have finally past away. The tragic victim of the rape, "damini" passed away in Singapore. Let's pray for her peace

Blog Entries
    It's a horrible story Udanchondi. The only good thing to come out of it is a questioning of attitudes to women in India. It's one of the things that is surprising about India. Condemning half the population to inferior rights can't be good.

Daily or hourly rape of women in India is the effect of decades of female infanticide, foeticide, suicide, and honor-related murder. As the girls and women organize and become more vigilant and their numbers continue to dwindle because of more female infanticide, foeticide, suicide, and honor-related murder, Indian men will be raping Indian boys and other men.
    Last edited by miyako73; 01-02-2013 at 05:37 PM.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."

--Jonathan Davis

Blog Entries
    I was reading that men do not women using mobile phones as it is seen as improper and even precocious behaviour. Is that true?
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miyako73 View Post
    Daily or hourly rape of women in India is the effect of decades of female infanticide, foeticide, suicide, and honor-related murder. As the girls and women organize and become more vigilant and their numbers continue to dwindle because of more female infanticide, foeticide, suicide, and honor-related murder, Indian men will be raping Indian boys and other men.
    I don't for a moment think that the majoity of men think like this. Most men with wives and daughters won't have this extreme attitude, and there are lots of decent people everywhere. There were just as many men in the protests as women in Dehli.

The reality in India is that the good, comfortable men (women included in that one) do nothing. Before the rape and murder of Amanat, hundreds of dalit, tribal, and low-caste girls and women had been raped but nobody had protested. I suspect because Amanat came from a different caste and well-to-do family and was a "medical" student, her case has stirred the entire nation--particularly the educated middle class. Kids are being raped in India on a daily basis. I have been an Indophile for quite some time now. Reading an Indian Online newspaper is like immersing myself in a nightmare.
    Last edited by miyako73; 01-02-2013 at 08:55 PM.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."

--Jonathan Davis

Blog Entries
    The reality in India is that the good, comfortable men (women included in that one) do nothing. Before the rape and murder of Amanat, hundreds of dalit, tribal, and low-caste girls and women had been raped but nobody had protested. I suspect because Amanat came from a different caste and well-to-do family and was a "medical" student, her case has stirred the entire nation--particularly the educated middle class. Kids are being raped in India on a daily basis. I have been an Indophile for quite some time now. Reading an Indian Online newspaper is like immersing myself in a nightmare.
    This is a more measured response. The inequalities of the caste system clearly provide opportunities for criminal acts, and I think you're probably right about her being a middle class medical student, and the effect that has. It will require a big change in attitudes which people at the top and middle will probably resist, as they will lose advantages - not just criminal ones. The religious sphere - whilst not sanctioning crimes like rape - promote this inequality. It's going to be difficult for them to change as they need to.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps worse - or as bad, is the "solution" of forcing the girl to marry her rapist. So impossible is the stigma of rape for the woman's family, that they often force her to do this, and all charges are dropped.

Rather than locking up your daughters, teach your sons to behave.
    ay up

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    Perhaps worse - or as bad, is the "solution" of forcing the girl to marry her rapist. So impossible is the stigma of rape for the woman's family, that they often force her to do this, and all charges are dropped.

Rather than locking up your daughters, teach your sons to behave.
    Yes - it's taken a long time for women here to be able to complain/ prosecute/ support and explain to the public what happens. The stgma thing is going to be a massive change in attitudes. All that does is protect the criminals.

Another reason this case stands out is because of the brutal torture. Reading between the lines of the medical report, it sounds like a metal rod inserted through her anus and perforating the intestines was responsible for infections in her lungs and other organs. You figure it out—if you have the stomach for it.

The reality in India is that the good, comfortable men (women included in that one) do nothing. Before the rape and murder of Amanat, hundreds of dalit, tribal, and low-caste girls and women had been raped but nobody had protested. I suspect because Amanat came from a different caste and well-to-do family and was a "medical" student, her case has stirred the entire nation--particularly the educated middle class. Kids are being raped in India on a daily basis.
    If most of the women raped in India are from lower castes, which castes generate most of the rapists, and why?
    "Love does not alter the beloved, it alters itself"

It's hard to ascertain. Indian women have castes, but it seems their vaginas don't have.

--Jonathan Davis

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the danger with this story is that it is being turned into a racist assault on India and Indian culture, as though rape is not a problem elsewhere. Things are just as bad, and just as under-reported in the western world. Women's rights are tenuous the world over. A timely report here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ini?intcmp=239
    and here: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...e-8433445.html
    Last edited by TheFifthElement; 01-04-2013 at 05:03 AM.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post
    I think the danger with this story is that it is being turned into a racist assault on India and Indian culture, as though rape is not a problem elsewhere.
    Haven't heard anything of the kind. Who is doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post
    Things are just as bad, and just as under-reported in the western world.
    Things are "bad" and "under-reported" in the west, "but just as bad?" Seriously?

The world has to be racist against India, if it is the only thing that will change its culture of misogyny, if it's the only force of shame that will make its leaders act, and if it's the only way to make its people see the dirt and disease of their unjust, violent minds.

--Jonathan Davis

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast