Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Do we have right to interfere in the play of nature?

Caddy smells like trees caddy_caddy's Avatar

Do we have right to interfere in the play of nature?

I always have a generation of cats . The grandmother , with the daughters and sons , with the grandsons. I really love kittens and we take care of them untill they grow up and leave us then another come and so on.But our neighbor has another cat( male) and it always come and attacks our kittensm he terrifies them and bites them in their neck.We often hear their screams and get out and see him attacking them. He's so agressive. We can't always protect them, the gates are most of the time opened and they go out of the house to the garden and play around. My last kitten died. Her mother left her and she had no one to defend her. Mothers don't stay with their kittens. They leave them most of the time. Shall we get rid of him to protect the coming generation at least or accept it as the free play of nature?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by caddy_caddy; 12-26-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's good. I would say tell your neighbour about it and get him/her to do something about it, and if not, the next time you see their cat attacking a kitten give him a good kick and send him running.

He's the bastard of our neighborhood . we told them so many times but they don't care!!
    So We should do sth by ourselves! I have had evil ideas but I'll plan sth else.

Blog Entries
    If there are no pet laws in your area (and there tend to not be in the middle east) then yea, I would do something about it. Domesticated cats are already unnatural - it's like you are messing with any grand order in protecting your cats.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Your neighborhood and your local attitude towards cats seems very different than mine, so I'm not going to be able to come up with any strong advice beyond a simple "don't do the evil thing". Cats are domesticated animals--they can live in the wild, and can live on their own in human environments, but it isn't always easy. To me, breeding them and then allowing them to leave over and over again might actually contribute to an overpopulation problem, I can't imagine all of the ones that leave go on to healthy and long lives. And I can't help but imagine that a ot of them will go on to make more kittens, some of whom won't be so lucky as to receive helping care from people like yourself.

In the U.S. there's often a big problem with too many cats and dogs roaming around, and many end up starving, catching diseases, and so on. With cats, there are some people who take on the responsibility of feeding some number of unclaimed neighborhood cats, which can really come close to fixing the immediate problem in that neighborhood, but this is often (ideally) combined with an effort to temporarily capture the cats and have them neutered/spayed at some discounted clinic subsidized by the community/government, in order to help keep the problem under control.

That's just my background thoughts, my context, for saying this: as far as cats and kittens are considered pets, I think it's fair to say that having a "pet" is a type "interference in the play of nature". I'm not sure what's going through the neighbors mind, but if he loves cats, I think he'd likely be appalled to know that his cat is killing kittens. Since he doesn't care, I think the best interference might be to just keep your kittens inside your gate. But it's hard for me to know if that could work in your situation, maybe they'd be less likely to leave after a while, might be less prepared for life on the street, etc. ...

EDIT: Am I taking it too literally when you say that the cats grow up and eventually "leave"? I'm imagining they just wander off independently, but maybe you give them to other people to own?
    Last edited by billl; 12-26-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Here in the U.S., your neighbor could get in some trouble for allowing his pet to harm others', but I have no idea what the laws/unwritten rules are in Lebanon. Charles is right, though; these are domesticated animals, and nature has nothing to do with it. You may just have to start going outside with the kittens to protect them until they can protect themselves.

FWIW, a friend and I were just in a similar situation, and we chose to save the pet. We were walking along in Elgin when a hawk landed on a fence right by us. As we were enjoying our close-up look (they're not that brave in Chicago), the lady in the house let out her pet chihuahua. It spotted the hawk but apparently had no idea what it was actually seeing--death--so it walked right up to the fence to examine the bird. My friend and I started calling to the woman to get her dog back inside now, while the hawk turned to face it and started rustling its tail. The owner came back out and got the dog right quick. Though some would argue whether saving a chihuahua is doing the world a favor, we were glad we were there.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

[QUOTE=Charles Darnay;1194747]If there are no pet laws in your area (and there tend to not be in the middle east) then yea, I would do something about it. Domesticated cats are already unnatural - it's like you are messing with any grand order in protecting your cats.[/QUOTE
    you made me laugh from the bottom of my heart
    thank u
    pet laws ha?!!
    No, Wallah I feel so guilty about them . I should have done sth to protect the last kitten at least and I'm so sad she died
    Believe it or not she used to sleep on my chest . If I put her next to me she refuses. She wanna sleep there . They are like babies they wanna feel your breath and the palpitations of your heart.That would make her feel secure and she sleeps tight. I used to ask myself if she thinks I'm her mother.

Blog Entries
    Growing up, there was a nasty cat that came around my grandparent's house and my grandfather used to put the hose on it. It was an OK deterrent. I'm not so Darwinian in my view of cats, as they do tend to live in the homes in the US and people often see them more as companions than just wild animals.

Some kind of deterrent like the house may give the cat the message to stay the heck out of your territory. On the other hand, if you are really not going to take care of them, then they are going to stay at risk. It is a commitment, but maybe they can be put in a garage at night, so at least, they are safe. Animals can be a real pain.