Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which tablets / devices do you use to read books?

Which tablets / devices do you use to read books?

We are living today in an e-age and quite a huge number of us do use electronic readings and own miscellaneous devices. I am using ipad and now thinking about buying Kindle and since it is smaller, handier, and easier to carry than weighty books. I can carry a vast library in my pocket and it costs comparatively lower. There are moments of nostalgia of course when I turn pages of some great epic like the Mahabharata but the day is different today since I have to travel a lot and carrying such books is cumbersome.

I am not sure which electronic device proves better when it comes down to e-reading. My ipad is bulky. I want some mini and compact gadget that will be simple yet more condensed

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Consumersearch collects and analyzes reviews from all over the place to build recommendations. They also give their sources so you can backtrack if you like. See if this helps:

http://www.consumersearch.com/ebook-reader-reviews
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

I use an iPad. I both the GoodReader and Kindle app for it. The iPad is bulkier than the Kindle, but it's still no heavier than your average hardback, and I prefer the bigger, brighter, higher contrast screen. So easy on the eyes, and plenty of room for poetry formatting. Personally, I wouldn't recommend buying a Kindle just to have something smaller, lighter, and more portable. Do some arm work-outs and make it easier to carry the iPad.
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." --Carl Gustav Jung

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due." --Neil Gaiman; The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists

"I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh" --The Proclaimers

I like the e-ink on a kindle. I haven't used an ipad but too much reading from computer monitors gives me eye strain and I imagine any backlit device would be the same. The kindle feels very comfortable to read from - sometimes I think even better than paper. I just wish I could get an e-ink reader that handles pdfs as well as my laptop.

Don't think I will ever give up on paper entirely though. I will always want a hard copy of my favourite books.

Blog Entries
    I lurve my kindle. BUT it is not like a book, you can't flick forwards or back easily, and I miss that.
    ay up

Blog Entries
    I'm about to enter the technological age and start using a Galaxy tab 2.7 where I can use the Kobo app to upload books. My mobile phone is so old I know I will go into meltdown mode learning to operate this thing so if anyone can help me when the time comes I will really appreciate it...
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    I lurve my kindle. BUT it is not like a book, you can't flick forwards or back easily, and I miss that.
    I have only just found out that E-books don't have page numbers but is there a facility for making notes of certain passages?
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    I have only just found out that E-books don't have page numbers but is there a facility for making notes of certain passages?
    I think kindle has a bookmark feature, the pc version on my laptop does at least. Although if you get an e-book in PDF they do have page numbers. I'm not very familiar with commercial e-books, I only use them for public domain texts.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Yes the kindle has a highlight facility but it is fairly basic, the one I have anyway. It's probably improved in some of the other devices.

About a year on and I would say that I am using my kindle only about 25% of the time in comparison to books. This is because some of the books are not available or if they are actually cost quite a bit more than a used or even new paper copy. I'm also reading some text book style chess books which do not work well on the kindle anyway, as I suspect most text books don't. On the other hand I have been waiting for over two weeks for one book which I now suspect has been lost in the post. Not happy, it would of course been a case of instant download had it been available on kindle. There are pros and cons with both clearly.

Blog Entries
    I am reading fiction or history and perhaps 75% is on the kindle. I would regularly buy books, and so I do save, though i also have free books. I'm reading Solaris by Stanislav Lem at the moment and it cost me £2.75 on the Kindle - or thereabouts - which is a lot cheaper than paper. New books are the same as paper copies, and so I wouldn't buy them until they came down in price in either format unless I really really wanted it.

Most of the books I read are a once only read, and so I don't need a library. In fact it's the reason my wife got me it last year. Fewer piles about the place.

I have the kindle with me virtually all the time. It's small and fits into whatever bag I've got, and I get it out on buses, in cafes and at home. Fantastic.

Blog Entries
    Some of the newer books on Kindle have page numbers (that correspond to physical book page numbers). It is up to the publisher to add in this feature: many don't.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

well I just started using the Nook from Barnes n Noble it's the basic no frils model but it does have book marker and it displays page numbers adjusted the font to the right size I think it's great it's small and holds alot of books ! carry them anywhere,,,,,,,,,,

Blog Entries
    I wanted a gun for Christmas, at first, just to be sure I'd be safe at school from my elementary school children. Then I realized the Google Nexus tablet might be fun, because I can load games onto it. Why be mean when you can be popular? I already have a Kindle, so I think, for now, I'm going to use that device for reading and the tablet for other things like grocery list, address book, calendar, and web access.

That's yet another advantage of books over e-readers that I'd never considered: subduing hostiles. If I need to klonk someone, I would definitely rather have my Bevington Complete Shakespeare on hand than an e-reader.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    I have a B&N NOOK going on 3 years old.

Emil, my NOOK has page numbers, ability to bookmark and you can highlight text.
    I haven't explored all the bells and whistles available, but I'm fairly certain it does not offer a notes feature, even if it did, it would be tedious using the small keypad.
    The current models may offer a notes feature.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast