Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: The right to bear arms

Blog Entries
    I read the statement he posted a few days ago, and he may have had a good case for the LAPD to answer - that he was sacked for reporting a collegue who assulted a prisoner . He begins fairly clear and collected, but seems to decend into a rambling, angry tirade, blaming everyone. (paranoia?) On balance I would say he over-reacted.
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 02-14-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    ay up

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tonywalt View Post
    I find it so typical that there is a reopening of the investigation into the greviences of the shooter. Really?!?!

I always have to smirk at 'ad hoc' reactionary government decisions. Was the investigation re-opened because he killed people and there was a Media Frenzy? Yes. Now a bunch of money and resources have to be re spent all over again. Typical.

Eh, give it a few days and we will be on to something else more sensational.
    You're right Tony. Oscar Pistorious - South Africa's double amputee Olympic sprinter - arrested on suspicion of shooting his girlfriend dead.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tonywalt View Post
    I find it so typical that there is a reopening of the investigation into the greviences of the shooter. Really?!?!

I always have to smirk at 'ad hoc' reactionary government decisions. Was the investigation re-opened because he killed people and there was a Media Frenzy? Yes. Now a bunch of money and resources have to be re spent all over again. Typical.

Eh, give it a few days and we will be on to something else more sensational.
    I see your point, Tony, but my understanding is that he was a whistleblower, and I have to wonder why the LAPD couldn't be bothered to look into the allegations rather than summarily firing him. Not that I think he had a good reason to go kill innocent people over it, but that doesn't mean he wasn't wronged.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qimissung View Post
    I see your point, Tony, but my understanding is that he was a whistleblower, and I have to wonder why the LAPD couldn't be bothered to look into the allegations rather than summarily firing him. Not that I think he had a good reason to go kill innocent people over it, but that doesn't mean he wasn't wronged.

I agree Quimmisung, more than you think.

He likely did have a legit grievance and I bet the cops did kick a homeless guy. It just seems so crazy when the police chief is speaking with venom about the pursuit of the accused (it's obvious they were going to shoot him from the press conferences-I found the gung ho language unsettling) and then stating that the grievance case was re-opened. It supports my belief that the police ostracize and squash people who do not graze with the pack.

On Cops: I am on friendly terms with quite a few cops at my local pub and my observation is that they Love being cops- and the charge of Authority and Action sits very well with them. . Last night they spoke of cracking down on ganja dealers on Island. I listened silently with one eye sneaking glances at the rugby match and the other eye stationed to their boring conversation.
    Last edited by tonywalt; 02-14-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I've heard there can be a very thin line between being a cop and being a criminal.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    A little more on the Pistorious thing. It turns out he owned a lot of guns, he had a machine gun by the door and loaded pistols on the sideboard. The details are not known yet, but there was a domestic argument.

Those who insist that guns don't kill people - people kill people can't deny that a domestic argument with loaded guns present is not a safe situation.
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 02-15-2013 at 07:53 AM.
    ay up

Blog Entries
    The statistics are pretty straightforward, a gun in a home is more likely to be used against a member of the household than against a criminal.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    The statistics are pretty straightforward, a gun in a home is more likely to be used against a member of the household than against a criminal.
    I don't believe your statistics. Anyone can claim to do a study. The accuracy of such a claim could never be proved.
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BienvenuJDC View Post
    I don't believe your statistics. Anyone can claim to do a study. The accuracy of such a claim could never be proved.
    That's a convenient way to handwave away anything that you don't want to believe rather than engage with data critically. But, whatever.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    That's a convenient way to handwave away anything that you don't want to believe rather than engage with data critically. But, whatever.
    It's also convenient to make a blanket statement that the statistics prove your point
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

In fact the right to bear arm is perilous. People can feel safe no doubt by holding arms but there are dangers and,people are not always in the same state of minds and the likelihoods of misusing arms is very high. Children are more likely to misuse. In fact today we live in complex social constructs. We have polices and armies to protect us. Of course a country need to let its people hold arms if it fails to protect them specially in times of civil wars. Therefore, in normal situations to let people arms become great threats.

Blog Entries
    http://www.salon.com/2013/02/28/texa..._safety_class/

I don't know whether to

or simply

I have to admit I am having a 'what is this world coming to' moment. This,apparently, is going to be the solution.

Blog Entries
    Accidents happen, I don't see how that article has a huge impact on the issue of gun control.

Blog Entries
    It's not that. It's that they are moving forward to arm teachers. I do have a problem with that.

Blog Entries
    Ah, well I'd agree that it's not the best solution...