Thread: Books you're looking forward to reading next year...

Books you're looking forward to reading next year...

What books are we looking forward to reading in 2013? It can be new or old books, first reads or re-reads.

Looking at my shelf, I have about 30 unstarted books. I'm especially looking forward to:

- Don Quixote (Will be my first of next year)
    - The Divine Comedy: I was always a bit daunted but being around this place has re-ignited my desire to read it. I'll be reading the Ciardi translation, and probably the Hollander one at some later date (as well as others in the future).
    - Swann's Way (and hopefully the rest of ISoLT): I've long, long been fascinated with Proust and really want to set aside the time for his work. Moncrieff/Kilmartin/Enright translation.
    - The Odyssey: Big fan of 'The Iliad' so it's about time I got around to it. Fitzgerald translation.
    - The Decameron: I'll probably eat away at this over the course of the entire year, as I do with most collections of short stories/story cycles.

As always, in a months time, I'll be spending far, far too much time deciding on what I'm going to choose next and will admonish myself for buying so many books at once.
    Last edited by Pierre Menard; 12-09-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    Vladimir: (sententious.) To every man his little cross. (He sighs.) Till he dies. (Afterthought.) And is forgotten.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Menard View Post
    As always, in a months time, I'll be spending far, far too much time deciding on what I'm going to choose next and will admonish myself for buying so many books at once.
    This.

I used to try to make sold lists of what to read, and still do sometimes, but they never work out And I prefer the method of happening upon a book - either in discussions here, in the world, reading reviews &c. I tend to not follow new book releases the same way I do for movies.

Either way, your list is great and should keep you pretty busy (if you are reading all of Proust).
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

At Sinterklaas (a Dutch holiday somewhat like Christmas in the form that children get presents) last week I got a box set of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, so I will finally be reading those. I will also be taking an Italian minor at university to improve my Italian. Simultaneously I will, after half a year postponing it, start in Il Nome della Rosa by Eco. After that my goal is to proceed to reading the Divina Commedia and the Decamerone. It'll probably prove quite the challenge but I'm up for it. Furthermore I intend to expand my English literary background by reading more of the classics, which of them I am not yet sure about.
    So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past - The Great Gatsby

Give every man thine ear, but few thy voice - Polonius (Hamlet)

From my existing shelf I look forward to reading: 11 kinds of Loneliness by Yates, Dirty Havana Trilogy by Guiterrez, and Pale Fire by Nabokov.

To purchase I look forward to reading: This is how you lose her by Junot Diaz, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Eggers.

I'd also like to read more on Rafael Trujillo, former dictator of the Dominican Republic, and also more on South American politics and tyrants. I find myself quite fascinated by them.

Invisible
    I hope I can read The Man Without Qualities by Robert Musil finally.
    This book has been waiting for me in my self for some years now.
    Don't know why I never started reading so far (maybe because of its length...)

I'm making an effort not to buy any more books for a while, until I finish what I already have sitting on my shelf. There's a lot I'm excited about, though I'm not too sure how much spare reading time I'll have.

I'm taking a Shakespeare class that I'm fairly excited about, though I'm a bit disappointed that Hamlet isn't one of the plays we're going to study. Other than that, these are the books sitting on my shelf that I'm most excited to tackle:
    Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon
    The Making of Americans by Gertrude Stein
    The Pale King by David Foster Wallace
    The Public Burning by Robert Coover
    Underworld by Don DeLillo
    The Man Without Qualities by Robert Musil
    The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth

I'm planning to read Beckett's trilogy, as well as Goethe's Faust, Proust's Recherce and Dostoevskij's "Brothers Karamazov".