Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are writers happy people?

Lightbulb are writers happy people?

Or are they negative sceptic willing to sacrifice happy thoughts for twisted mords?

Whatever happened to cheering and joviality in writing or is the reader to continue to face dark and twisted without much light at the end of the tunnel?
    In other words if writing is so popular and so many write thousands of books then surely AMAZING is what should come to mind. The amazing that is a happy one that entice all of us to become future writers.
    Larkin comes to mind I can still remember sitting at the front of the class and hearing this desperate bizarre depressed voice reading a piece through a recorder. For a learner of English literature all I could think of was 'what is going on here? That did not inspire me to write anything then.
    It is a great shame because one should write as earlier in their time as possible. Children and teenage writing is as important as mature writing.
    I think writing is a skill with a style that should reek benefits of happiness fulfilment and above all changes to the human condition.
    Writing must impact on a persona in a positive uplifting way and offer new outlooks on life. It should also change people perspective of themselves and others around them for the better.
    Writing is at its best when its achievement exposes rather then exhibits in a manner which is suitable to a perfect situation or moment exquisite feelings and a sense of happiness comes to mind.

So are you a happy writer if not why not?
    Last edited by cacian; 12-06-2012 at 07:26 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

I'm happy to be able to write - putting thoughts down can be liberating. But it can also be agonising when those thoughts one would prefer remain buried are uncovered.
    I'll admit that reading or writing cheerful stuff can become cloying after a while. Like being force-fed chocolate. But an endless diet of morbid material can also be unappetising.
    The balance is to be true to life - there is happiness and sadness in everyone's experience of living. Don't sugar-coat reality.

Am I really Mr Happy or Mr Angry? I couldn't possibly answer that.

H

Blog Entries
    Perhaps uncovering stuff is what adds to the writer's happiness. Have you considered that? I think the presumption that happiness must = happy stories is a ridiculous proposition. I'm sure horror writers are very happy people.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Writers can be happy or sad--like everyone else, bud

Is there any group of people, really, that is more happy than sad (as in, tend to feel joy more often than sadness/neutrality)? Writers, and artists in general, tend to appear a lot sulkier, but that might just be on account of their tendency to express their emotions more often than, say, doctors or accountants.

I want to be lonely when I write, so I can cry when I compose my saddest lines and easily find out if my funny ones can indeed make me laugh.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."

--Jonathan Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Nevarc View Post
    Writers can be happy or sad--like everyone else, bud
    You mean people can be sad or happy like everyone else. A writer is second best after 'people' an achievement in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Desolation View Post
    Is there any group of people, really, that is more happy than sad (as in, tend to feel joy more often than sadness/neutrality)? Writers, and artists in general, tend to appear a lot sulkier, but that might just be on account of their tendency to express their emotions more often than, say, doctors or accountants.
    Interesting because I would have thought the more creative you are and the more content you become. A bit like councelling airing feelings is a route to recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by miyako73 View Post
    I want to be lonely when I write, so I can cry when I compose my saddest lines and easily find out if my funny ones can indeed make me laugh.
    Loneliness is a harsh environment to be in. Writing under such circumstances can be isolating. I have to admit I do not cry over what I write. I would cry if I was upset with someone close to me , and it has to be really something serious, and that is the only time. I draw the line there. The rest of my activities are kept strictly fun.
    An attachment to people is more important then an attachment to what I write. Writing makes me feel good and therefore everything I write must also reflect a concept of cool.
    Last edited by cacian; 12-07-2012 at 05:22 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

This is the toughest question to answer and in fact writers are social beings and have all kinds of challenges. From one one point of view they are sadder beings since to be a successful write is itself a big challenge. One has to carve his or her way out of the crowd of people who are armed to knock us down anytime. You have to excel or outpace the rest of your fellow beings to reserve a secure space for yourself. Few become bestsellers and money and most return to their very dingy everyday realty. This is an sure faculty unlike the rest you cannot rest assured of being successful. If you are halfway, you go unpaid and you have to map out your future or think in advance gravely whether it can pay you materially.

Of course there is a lot of spiritual satisfaction even if one does not earn profusely but the reality of poverty cannot easily be ruled out.

That is why writers become unhappier that those who live simply and unambitiously

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Blog Entries
    What's the point of being happy?
    "...the ramblings of a narcissistic, self-obsessed, deranged mind."
    My poetry, plays, novels, & other stuff on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr...or=Wolf Larsen

Quote Originally Posted by WolfLarsen View Post
    What's the point of being happy?
    It is healthy and free.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

I am a writer and I am happy. Writing is not a depressant. People are naturally attracted to dramatic things. How interesting would a novel be if there was no conflict? Stories are built on the idea of conflicts, challenges, and the sort. It's not negative sceptics willing to sacrifice happy thoughts for twisted words, it's telling a story. You could write a story about inheriting a large sum of money, but what would you do after that? Tell how they spent it? Sure, EVERYONE will want to read that. If you're talking about poetry then there are a lot of 'happy' poems, your just not looking in the right places. Writers are just like anyone else: People with a job and a hobby, just because it's writing, doesn't mean they are automatically not happy. That is a false stereotype.
    Redemption is held in the hearts of those that are willing, not the sceptres of those who don't believe in giving them that chance. ~ Colton Robinsmith

When winds take forests in their paws
    The universe is still
    ~Emily Dickinson

Quote Originally Posted by Rainyhawaii View Post
    I am a writer and I am happy. Writing is not a depressant. People are naturally attracted to dramatic things. How interesting would a novel be if there was no conflict? Stories are built on the idea of conflicts, challenges, and the sort. It's not negative sceptics willing to sacrifice happy thoughts for twisted words, it's telling a story. You could write a story about inheriting a large sum of money, but what would you do after that? Tell how they spent it? Sure, EVERYONE will want to read that. If you're talking about poetry then there are a lot of 'happy' poems, your just not looking in the right places. Writers are just like anyone else: People with a job and a hobby, just because it's writing, doesn't mean they are automatically not happy. That is a false stereotype.
    A person is complex. To write is to undo one complexity into an achievement. Happiness is one of them. Intelligence is another.
    The more one writes the more one should get a daily amount of intelligence. One way of doing it is to achieve happiness through writing. I think one is more keen ready to learn and willing to intellectualise in a positive way when one writes and feels happiness increasing and stabilising to becoming the norms.
    The human mind is a lock of complexity and the more we explore venues ideals and achieve for the better the more we unblock the chain of complexity into a loose light reality.
    Last edited by cacian; 12-08-2012 at 08:38 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

People write out of happiness and out of sadness . Sometimes writers are happy; sometimes writers are unhappy. Like most of us. Midwifery is the medical branch with the happiest staff. Probably children's writers are happier than tormented poets.

Writers are ordinary people, but a little more sensitive and they are a lit little bit more responsive to external stimuli. The real difference lies in the fact poet cries when he comes upon a certain painful situation wherein humans are suffering. And his feelings get translated into beautiful thoughts. Or to put it differently a poet can shape his thoughts or imagination. He has the wealth of imagination.
    Yes, writers are a bit unhappier lots and he is unsure of getting published and he has to work harder and harder since he has to outshine the rest of his competitors.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Blog Entries
    The point of life is not to be happy! The point of life is to build highways & skyscrapers & heavy industry & organize revolutions & paint & write poetry & novels & build sculptures & etc.!

Happiness is something I do on the side. It's not my main dish. It's a side dish.

Of course, some of the things that make me happiest I can't even discuss on this website without getting banned, or having points taken away, or something like that.

Here we writers are supposed to be able to express ourselves, but somebody is always censoring us, whether it's the publishing industry or some Internet site or literary magazine or something like that.

The point is whenever I try to express what makes me happiest lots of people are shocked for some reason. But the thing is that many of the things that make me happy make them happy too. Whenever my defects I let it all out! I vomit everything on the page! I piss all over the page! I defecate all over the page! There's something else I do all over the page but I guess I can't say that either without getting points taken away. All of this makes me happy! Expressing myself is almost as good as an orgasm! (Well, nothing makes one as happy as a good orgasm!)

Some people talk about all the civilized feelings of human beings. Nonsense! We are primates! What we are supposed to unleash on the pages is savagery! "Civilized" writing reeks of hypocrisy. When you get too "civilized" you forget the savage animal inside of you, and you forget all the animal things that make you happy. Sex is an animal thing that makes everything on the planet happy!

For example, defecating makes me happy. Why not write a poem about defecating? Would I get points taken away from me on this Internet site for posting such a poem? Probably! There are sites that would ban you for posting such a poem.

I would be very happy to see more poetry about defecating!

You can't even post on many sites on the Internet what makes you the happiest, and as a writer this makes me sad. Or angry.
    "...the ramblings of a narcissistic, self-obsessed, deranged mind."
    My poetry, plays, novels, & other stuff on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr...or=Wolf Larsen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast