Thread: The Meaning of Beauty (Work In Progress.)

The Meaning of Beauty (Work In Progress.)

"Beauty my friend is a blessing" Piper remarked through gritted teeth as he tried, in vain, to re-light his pipe, his eyes never leaving the portrait above the fire. William, who had up until now, being enjoying the blessed silence replied, perhaps to curtly; "Oh really? How so?" Pipers face betrayed a flash of hurt but he continued unperturbed "because those who posess beauty, real beauty that is, need not worry, the rest will follow, money, power, it falls into their lap as if the world were their plaything." He paused, waiting for a response.
    William entertained him, drawing on his cigarette he replied "There my dear Piper you are wrong. Beauty, in all forms, is in fact a curse. The Gods are cruel when they shape us mere mortals, and no-more so when they see fit to bestow the "gift of beauty" upon an unfortunate soul, for beauty is by nature fickle, as are those who posess it, they beguile the masses with their radiance and sweet talk their way into positions of power, and highstanding, but what pray tell happens when time catches up? When their beauty withers and dies along with their power and money?." he paused watching the faint blue smoke rise before him, and of course giving Piper a chance to argue, it was always more enjoyable when he did, but today he seemed to not take the bait.
    "I shall tell you, it is then when all they had has been taken away from them, that the Gods cruel jape is played out, and they mock us for our stupidity."
    He watched now with his grey eyes as a frown appeared on Pipers face, and with the annoyance all courtesy seemed to fade. "Must you always be so cynical William?"
    Drawing once more upon his cigarette he looked at his long time friend; "Only my dear Piper, when the opportunity arises." Getting up from his chair turning his back on Piper and the dreadfully macabre portrait he said " Now if you'll be so kind as to summon me a handsome, I have an engagement with our American friend."
    People die of common sense, Dorian, one lost moment at a time. Life is a moment. There is no hereafter. So make it burn always with the hardest flame.

Blog Entries
    Well, this was (pardon me) Wilde! At least Wildish. At first I noticed that stylistically, it was English and late 1800s. But then the clues added up, especially the Dorian line. There are a few misspells here and there, and it could use a bit of punctuation too. Certainly it is a fragment of a story, but far from an entire story. The title might be changed to 'The Nature of Beauty" rather than the Meaning of Beauty, since the dialogue is more about how beauty is, more than what it means. You have the style down pat.

Haha yeah it really is heavily influenced by The Picture Of Dorian grey, i just hope..not too much. And i was expecting a few spelling errors xD And thanks for the title idea!
    People die of common sense, Dorian, one lost moment at a time. Life is a moment. There is no hereafter. So make it burn always with the hardest flame.

Certainly there must be more - you're teasing us with a mere morsel here.
    More a pastiche than a genuine homage but not too shabby.

The one glaring typo was 'handsome' for 'hansom'

H