Thread: Thesis statement for Alan Edgar Poe and Race

Thesis statement for Alan Edgar Poe and Race

Hello,

Could somebody give me a good thesis statement on Alan Edgar Poe and race? I'm not much into this topic and I need to give it to my teacher.

I will be very grateful for any help.
    Cheers

This is a good place to get feedback on your ideas, but nobody here will provide homework for you. Do you have ideas that you're unsure how to develop?
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Hello again,

Thank you for the response. Sorry for my previous question, of course I know that nobody will provide my task for me. I'm a polish student and I study English Philology. I'm going to write my diploma paper this year. I'm in American Culture group on my seminar and my topic is "Racial themes in American gothic fiction (on the basis of Edgar Allan Poe)". I need to create a thesis statment for my work, but, to be honest, I'm not much into Gothic and Poe yet (if it was up to me, I'd write about something completely different...). I've created one thesis but my teacher didn't accept it (it was "Poe's hard childhood had influence on his attitude towards racism and slavery).

So, the thing I'd like to ask you for is - could you reccomend me some materials that would help me with finding a good thesis statment for my topic? Which Poe's books are about racial? What should I read first?

I will be grateful for any advice,
    Cheers

I'm not aware of any racial undertones in Poe's writing so you're going to struggle to back up such a thesis.

Most of his work - in particular his most Gothic stories - examined the themes of romantic love and death (try looking at 'Annabel Lee' or 'The Raven' as a springboard if you consider following this line of enquiry).

H

Thank you very much. In fact, while looking for informations about Poe I discovered that his works are more abour death and love than racism.

I've asked my promotor if I could change my topic a little bit, hopefully he'll agree.
    Last edited by seminarPOE; 12-15-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Hello,

So, my supervisor agreed to change my topic from "racial themes" to "death". I've to speak with him tomorrow and I guess he would like to hear from me the new topic, so I have a big request to you guys - can you reccomend me some themes that would be good to write? I mean, some ideas? Yes, I know it sounds like I want you to provide my homework for me again, but I just have no time to read books or something, because tomorrow I'll have to tell my supervisor exactly what I want to write instead of Racial themes.

I mean, is here maybe somebody who knows Poe's works well and could tell me on what aspects of death should I focus? These books that Hillwaker gave me sound interesting and I'll definitely read them, but like I sad, I need some ideas for tomorrow.

Please, I'll be really grateful.

Sorry for any linguistic mistakes, it's late in my place.
    Cheers

Hello again.

So, my topic is "Death in American gothic fiction (on the basis of Edgar Allan Poe)". I have found a very useful article (just write in google: Death and Revenge In Edgar Allen Poe's Work. I don't know why but I couldn't put a link here).

I've read the books mentioned in the article and I think it would be a good idea for the thesis statment to write about Death and Revenge as connected things in Poe's works. However, I'm not sure how to put it into words. I've got one idea - "Death and Revenge as natural phenomena (elements?) in Poe's workds". What do you think about it? Maybe you have some better ideas?

I will be grateful for any help.
    Cheers.