Thread: Is it true quote by charles dickens about "imam Hussain"

Is it true quote by charles dickens about "imam Hussain"

I would like to know if this quote by Charles Dickens about "Imam Hussain" is real or
    fake ?? If this is real,in which book he mentioned this quote??

“If Husain had fought to quench his worldly desires…then I do not understand why his sister, wife, and children accompanied him. It stands to reason therefore, that he sacrificed purely for Islam.”
    Last edited by Alirez; 12-03-2012 at 09:35 PM.

“ If Husain had fought to quench his worldly desires, then I do not understand why his sister, wife, and children accompanied him. It stands to reason therefore, that he sacrificed purely for Islam ” , “Charles Dickens’ Miscellanies”, p.61.

Bentley's Miscellany was a general interest magazine, issued monthly from January 1837 until 1868. Charles Dickens was its first editor, and in the "Prologue" at the start of volume 1, he outlines the goals for the new journal:

What may be in the Miscellany it is your business to find out. ...We do not envy the fame or glory of other monthly publications. Let them have their room. We do not desire to jostle them in their course to fame or profit, even if it was in our power to do so. ...Our path is single and distinct. In the first place, we will have nothing to do with politics. ...

Magazines like Bentley's Miscellany were prevalent in 19th-century Britain, usually presenting a mix of stories, poetry, drollery, gossip, and political discourse. At the end of each year, the monthly parts were made available bound in one volume, with a general title page and alphabetical index listing the contents for the entire year. Because of disagreements with Richard Bentley, Dickens resigned his position as editor in February 1839.

Hi,
    my name is Haiko Hoffmann from Germany, looking for quotations about Imam Hussain by non-muslims. And so I also found such from Charles Dickens an others. ... Please could you give the reference in detail (authors, place, years, series, vol., ...), because I cannot find it under the given few data?

And could you give me reference details of the following quotations?

Thomas Carlyle: “The best lesson which we get from the tragedy of Cerebella is that Husain and his companions were rigid believers in God. They illustrated that the numerical superiority does not count when it comes to the truth and the falsehood. The victory of Husain, despite his minority, marvels me!”

Mahatma Gandhi: “I learnd from Hussein how to achieve victory while being oppressed.”

Mahatma Gandhi: “I learned from Hussain how to be wronged and be a winner, I learnt from Hussain how to attain victory while being oppressed” It was Gandhi who picked 72 followers to accompany him; the same number Hussain had during his final tragic stand.”

Mahatma Gandhi: “My faith is that the progress of Islam does not depend on the use of swords by its believers, but the result of the supreme sacrifice of Hussain, the great saint.”

Rabindranath Tagore: “In order to keep alive justice and truth, instead of an army or weapons, success can be achieved by sacrificing lives, exactly what Imam Hussain did”

Nelson Mandela: “I have spent more than 20 years in prison, then on one night I decided to surrender by signing all the terms and conditions of government. But suddenly I thought about Imam Hussain and Karbala movement and Imam Hussain gave me strenght to stand for right of freedom and liberation and I did.” - this might be in a biography (autobiography? which one in English?) translated by Mumtaz Tahir or Tahir Mumtaz into Urdu (Mandela's autobiography "Long Walk to Freedom" seems not to contain it).

Freya Stark: “The Shiites throughout the Islamic world revive the memory of Al-Hussein and his killing and mourn him the first ten days of the month of Muharram… There he pitched his camp while his enemies surrounded him and held the water: the details are as living to-day as then, 1257 years ago; nor can anyone with much profit visit these Holy Cities unless he knows something of the story, for its tragedy is built into their very foundation. It is one of the few stories I can never read without weeping.”

György Lukács: “The concepts of Hussain were centered on a free nature aimed to make the people of his nation happy in their life, to be able to face the drastic rulers who slaved them, and who Hussain confronted them with all his strength and determination.”

Victor Hugo: “The principles of Hussains’ revolution became an approach to every rebel who want to take his rights from his oppressors.” – Google's translation: "Les principes de la révolution d‘Hussayn devenus une approche ŕ chaque rebelle qui veulent prendre ses droits de ses oppresseurs." (but how is the original French text?)

Koiana[?] (Japanese writer): “The revolution of Imam Hussain enlightened the path of salvation to the oppressed, firmed their attitudes, pulled them out of misguidance, and cleared to their minds routs of justice.” - the name may be wrongly spelled, because it doesn't look like Hepburns transcription

Lew Tolstoi: “No doubt Hussain was among greatest rebel men in purpose to correct the governess who were deviated away from the right path, and for his attitudes he obtained that martyrdom which the free once wishes.”

Roberto Bolańo Ávalos: “Killing Hussain by Yazid is the greatest political mistake committed by Umayyad, which forgotten, and vanished every sign or details of them.”

Ogera (Russian thinker): “ Hussain became a model was emulated by every oppressed nations, which suffered from abuse and inequity of the rulers who built their shaky thrones on the skulls of the oppressed. Which made their descendants to continue their insurrection until they were able to topple this platoon who made them to suffer severely.”

I hope it's not toomuch. But I cannot find the references so that I hope that I have a chance to find them here.

Thank you and best wishes

Haiko
    Last edited by Mulan2255; 11-02-2014 at 07:51 PM.