Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

View Poll Results: Pornography (anonymous poll)

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a man and I regularly watch porn.

    18 36.73%
  • I am a man and I sometimes watch porn.

    7 14.29%
  • I am a man and I rarely watch porn.

    3 6.12%
  • I a man and I never watch porn because I don't feel the need.

    1 2.04%
  • I am a man and I would never consider watching porn on moral grounds.

    2 4.08%
  • I am a woman and I regularly watch porn.

    5 10.20%
  • I am a woman and I sometimes watch porn.

    7 14.29%
  • I am a woman and I rarely watch porn.

    2 4.08%
  • I am a woman and I never watch porn because I don't feel the need.

    3 6.12%
  • I am a woman and I would never consider watching porn on moral grounds.

    0 0%
  • Billl's Syndrome (never watch porn despite needing it)

    1 2.04%
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 108

Thread: Pornography

  1. #1
    Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tweet @ScherLitNet
    Posts
    23,903

    Pornography

    What a way to start off the new week!

    The poll is anonymous so no one can see your answer.

    Please answer truthfully.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~


  2. #2
    www.markbastable.co.uk MarkBastable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,447
    So why are the 'I don't' answers justified with a 'because' and the 'I do' answers aren't?
    Available now for the e-reader on your bedside table.



  3. #3
    Man and regularly.

    I probably masturbate once a day on average, porn is just an easy way to get aroused (single at the moment) and makes it slightly more enjoyable then simply laying there with junk in hand.

    I'm smart enough to know it doesn't correlate to reality (although I do watch amateur stuff the vast majority of the time). It's purely a utilitarian tool that makes releasing a bit of sexual buildup throughout a day slightly more enjoyable.
    Vladimir: (sententious.) To every man his little cross. (He sighs.) Till he dies. (Afterthought.) And is forgotten.

  4. #4
    confidentially pleased cacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,463
    Great thread Scher I have voted.
    Porn is not for me and I am not for it I guess but I from what I have seen I can easily say that porn is not geared towards women but more for men.
    I might be wrong though.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

  5. #5
    Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tweet @ScherLitNet
    Posts
    23,903
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable View Post
    So why are the 'I don't' answers justified with a 'because' and the 'I do' answers aren't?
    Is a justification needed for "I do" options?
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~


  6. #6
    www.markbastable.co.uk MarkBastable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Is a justification needed for "I do" options?
    Is it needed for the 'I don't' options?
    Available now for the e-reader on your bedside table.



  7. #7
    Inexplicably Undiscovered
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Posts
    5,026
    Blog Entries
    72
    Let me be "frank." (No, that doesn't mean I want to have a sex change operation.)

    You know, it is virtually impossible to talk or write about pornography without unwittingly stepping into the danger zone of the double entendre! So be forewarned. But I will try to be sensitive.

    If I've ever watched pornography, it was inadvertent. Unlike the Supreme Court Justice with his famous declaration, I'm not sure I know when I see it! But I'm sure as hell not looking for it. Even so, you know I've got opinions on the topic. That's the American way.

    On the occasions when I might have witnessed pornographic material, it could have been part of a movie that I had chosen to watch for other reasons. For instance, I thought that Quills, the film about the Marquis de Sade, was worthwhile, even though it was about civilization's most notorious pornographer. (Come to think of it, that movie didn't have many scenes full of blatant obscenity or "perversity", but the characters surely talked a lot about it.)

    As a rule, I avoid pornography. The first reason is that I don't believe my "prurient" interest is all that active, maybe attributable to my gender and , alas, my age. I still have curiosity just about everything --at least I hope so-- but pornography isn't high up there on the list.

    Secondly, what I heard about pornography -- its subject matter as well as its "motifs" (if you could call them that)-- is that it seems to me it's very, very boring and despite the so-called "variations," repetitive -- the same old, same old over and over again. I can't imagine that there are endless ways to show the same basic act, with the same, if you will, "climax." The audience already knows pretty much how the story is going to end!

    If the porno movie happens to go out of its way not to take itself seriously, beyond the aspect of "camp," then it becomes quasi-pornographic, a parody -- and thus its intentions are different from "real" pornography. If people actually read the earnestly icky epistles in the in Penthouse "Forum," they must have read them strictly for laughs.

    And last, there are reasons of "taste." (I hate using the word in this context because it connotes primness or prudery.) But I really don't have a taste for what tends to denigrate women. To be clear, it doesn't matter one damn bit if the porno actress "wants" to do it or if she "enjoys" it or sees it as a way to earn a living. Beyond the individual female or females in a particular film, what kind of message does exploitation send out to the world at large, to healthy heterosexual males, especially young men, and to a woman's sense of self-worth? Underlying pornography is the message that a woman can be objectified to the extent that her unique personality and value as a human being have been obliterated in favor of her sexual availabilty, and subsequent dispensibility. This objection to pornography has little to do with "morality," but everything to do with equality.

    A few years ago I read that researchers found that because of the prevalence and availability of pornography, especially via the Web, young men are demanding "more" from their girlfriends because of the extremely graphic movies and on-line videos they had seen. Imagine the kinds of pressure this puts on young women, not to mention the effect these demands might have on the quality of a person's healthy and happy sexual life. The late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan often bewailed about "deviance defined down," and though he had used the phrase to refer to society at large, it certainly applies to pornography.

    Please don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about censorship-- that's a whole other issue. In fact, if you want to rot your brains looking at pornography all day, go right ahead. (But you might want to wash your hands afterward.)
    Last edited by AuntShecky; 12-03-2012 at 05:02 PM.

  8. #8
    Registered User Delta40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fremantle Western Australia
    Posts
    9,886
    Blog Entries
    62
    How come the poll doesn't include pornographic literature? What about all those who don't watch porn but get off reading it?
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

  9. #9
    Two Steps Into Exile Shevek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    145
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntShecky View Post
    And last, there are reasons of "taste." (I hate using the word in this context because it connotes primness or prudery.) But I really don't have a taste for what tends to denigrate women. To be clear, it doesn't matter one damn bit if the porno actress "wants" to do it or if she "enjoys" it or sees it as a way to earn a living. Beyond the individual female or females in a particular film, what kind of message does exploitation send out to the world at large, to healthy heterosexual males, especially young men, and to a woman's sense of self-worth? Underlying pornography is the message that a woman can be objectified to the extent that her unique personality and value as a human being have been obliterated in favor of her sexual availabilty, and subsequent dispensibility. This objection to pornography has little to do with "morality," but everything to do with equality.

    A few years ago I read that researchers found that because of the prevalence and availability of pornography, especially via the Web, young men are demanding "more" from their girlfriends because of the extremely graphic movies and on-line videos they had seen. Imagine the kinds of pressure this puts on young women, not to mention the effect these demands might have on the quality of a person's healthy and happy sexual life. The late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan often bewailed about "defiance defined down," and though he had used the phrase to refer to society at large, it certainly applies to pornography.
    This assumes that porn is something only straight men enjoy at the expense of women. I think the issue of sexual equality as it is represented in porn is quite a bit more complex than the scenario you present in which a "healthy" heterosexual man (I don't know why you bring up healthiness?) reproduces denigrating acts on their female partners because they saw it in a video. Gay men, gay women, and straight women also enjoy porn. Is gay porn exploitive in the same way? I understand that the porn industry in general is directed towards a straight male audience, but I don't know whether your objection holds in the context of other kinds of porn, which suggests to me that the issue is about the dominant cultural expectations about sexuality placed on men and women rather than just porn videos.

  10. #10
    www.markbastable.co.uk MarkBastable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,447
    The late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan often bewailed about "deviance defined down," and though he had used the phrase to refer to society at large, it certainly applies to pornography.


    Deviance isn't about some kind of ladderscale, as if deviances piled on top of each other to reach an apex of deviance. It's not a moral thing, that has a hierarchy (even an inverted one).

    Deviance is about breadth - the characteristic of deviance is that it's measured relative to a norm that is narrower than the potential field of activity. Activities you consider normal, another culture or another era might consider deviant. There's no moral aspect to that. It can't be 'defined down'.

    And even if it were, surely Moynihan meant 'defined up' - in other words, he felt that deviance, by definition, was becoming harder and harder to achieve, on account of so many things that used to be considered deviant now being taken as part of the norm. The bar for deviance was higher than it used to be....

    See, the more one talks about it, the more ill-conceived the phrase becomes...
    Last edited by MarkBastable; 12-03-2012 at 05:43 PM.
    Available now for the e-reader on your bedside table.



  11. #11
    Registered User billl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable View Post
    So why are the 'I don't' answers justified with a 'because' and the 'I do' answers aren't?
    Yeah, and what about me? I never watch porn, but I feel the need.

  12. #12
    Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tweet @ScherLitNet
    Posts
    23,903
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable View Post
    Is it needed for the 'I don't' options?
    The refusal to watch porn needs to be justified surely, does it not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post
    How come the poll doesn't include pornographic literature? What about all those who don't watch porn but get off reading it?
    This poll is aimed towards pornographic movies only, following the discussion in another thread. I was simply curious to see how many of us tend to watch porn or avoid doing so and why.

    We can have another thread discussing erotica as well if you would like.

    Quote Originally Posted by billl View Post
    Yeah, and what about me? I never watch porn, but I feel the need.
    I do apologise for overlooking your unique stand on this issue, Billl. I will amend the poll accordingly now.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~


  13. #13
    Registered User billl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,012
    Thank you, my voice is heard.

  14. #14
    A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Posts
    5,779
    Blog Entries
    2
    A few years ago I read that researchers found that because of the prevalence and availability of pornography, especially via the Web, young men are demanding "more" from their girlfriends because of the extremely graphic movies and on-line videos they had seen. Imagine the kinds of pressure this puts on young women, not to mention the effect these demands might have on the quality of a person's healthy and happy sexual life.
    Fair point and I don't disagree. I can see your point as to how it could negatively effect a Relationship.

    Have any women in a serious Relationship with a man had negative experience because their male partner watched porn?

  15. #15
    confidentially pleased cacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,463
    Quote Originally Posted by tonywalt View Post
    Fair point and I don't disagree. I can see your point as to how it could negatively effect a Relationship.

    Have any women in a serious Relationship with a man had negative experience because their male partner watched porn?
    Well it is double standards. If you are in a relationship then I am guessing lots will be hacked off about their partners watching porn without their knowledge. Let's face it the computer makes it so easy to have whatever sex in one's mind and so people are easily swayed into it because they have a computer at home.
    Someone who watches porn without the knowledge of their partners says something about the relationship.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •